KerbalX.com - Craft & Mission Sharing

katateochi

@siliconworm Sorry about that. it appears there is a bug introduced with resuming an upload. I shall fix that shortly. meanwhile I've removed that craft from your inprogress uploads so you should be able to upload it again normally now. 

Edit
The bug with resuming an upload has been fixed, so this shouldn't happen again. 

Edited by katateochi

If anyone wonders why I like KerbalX:

From problem report (right after a major update that undoubtedly cost quite a bit of energy and time)...

10 hours ago, siliconworm said:

I have problem with the site, it doesn't allow me to upload anything after the update.

.. to investigation and solution.

3 hours ago, katateochi said:

7 hours apart, in between which it was night time for the maintainer, one can hope he was getting some sleep during that interval.

That is service, people. From a free site run by a single volunteer.

You do good work, @katateochi. Props.

7 hours ago, katateochi said:

@siliconworm Sorry about that. it appears there is a bug introduced with resuming an upload. I shall fix that shortly. meanwhile I've removed that craft from your inprogress uploads so you should be able to upload it again normally now. 

Edit

I can upload now! Thank you very much!

Edited by siliconworm

8 hours ago, swjr-swis said:

If anyone wonders why I like KerbalX:

From problem report (right after a major update that undoubtedly cost quite a bit of energy and time)...

.. to investigation and solution.

7 hours apart, in between which it was night time for the maintainer, one can hope he was getting some sleep during that interval.

That is service, people. From a free site run by a single volunteer.

You do good work, @katateochi. Props.

Thanks man! it was a pretty simple fix. I saw it reported while sipping my morning tea, which is always a good time to debug things, brain is nice and squishy at that time!

4 hours ago, siliconworm said:

I can upload now! Thank you very much!

Excellent! I see you've posted a few since then.

I'm finding a few issues with the recent update, mostly due to it not collecting some part information which should be available.  I'm working on fixes now. 

Edited by katateochi

@siliconworm yes I had noticed that and I'm working on a fix.  Tweakscale is a factor, I don't think I'm correctly interpreting tweaked parts at present. Some of the discrepancies are due to not having all the data for modded parts and that will just take time to pull that data together. On pure stock craft the mass and cost values are spot on, but it's wrong for quite a few mod craft. So yeah, fix for that is in progress. 

2 hours ago, siliconworm said:

Yes! That's extremely close to the in-game values! 

awesome! ....yet, still not quite as exactly the same as it can be with pure stock craft. A 4.3t difference in weight could be down to some rounding errors when calculating the value of resources (but I don't think so), but the cost is off by 3601, which is more than 4.3 tons worth of any of the resources your craft has. Have you got anything in effect that would increase your costs slightly?
Well it's much closer than it was.  Not handling tweaked parts correctly was the issue.  I'll try to get it closer, but regardless I'll deploy these changes on saturday (as annoyingly I'm away tomorrow) and I'll then re-calc the values for all craft.

47 minutes ago, Mycroft said:

So I love KerbalX, and I tried to upload my first craft, but when I went to add pictures, it asked for the album id. What the heck is that? And how do I get it?

If you use imgur to host images, you can make albums with multiple images.  There albums have a 5-character ID, which is in the URL you see when you look at an album.  If this is that URL: 

https://imgur.com/a/M3LAz

Then this is the album ID:

M3LAz

51 minutes ago, Mycroft said:

So I love KerbalX, and I tried to upload my first craft, but when I went to add pictures, it asked for the album id. What the heck is that? And how do I get it?

For your album which has the url http://imgur.com/a/cqSay the album id is just the last part of the url, so "cqSay" for that one.  You can put that id in 'add pictures' section of the "newly uploaded craft" dialog that appears when you upload a craft and then it will sort it out for you. Or (as you'll want to do now) you can add it after; editing the craft page, then add a text container (from the top menu) and then put this into it

[imgur]cqSay[/imgur]. 

It's similar for adding single pictures, just use the full url to the image and add it to a container like this;

[img:http://i.imgur.com/v2nNp0d.jpg] 
OR
[img=http://i.imgur.com/v2nNp0d.jpg]

(just different styles, both do the same thing)

(ah! ninja'd by a Mad Rocket Scientist!)

Edited by katateochi

Thank you both so much! If you visited the album, then I'm sure you say how ugly the ship there was. For that, I apologize to your eyes! :D The only consolation I can offer them is that I am using that ship as a base ship to figure out how KerbalX works before uploading my prize creation (a 28000 ton space cruiser made with B9 and BDArmory). :cool: So thank you both!

Tell your eyes I said sorry! :sticktongue::sticktongue::sticktongue:

@katateochi, here is the preliminary page for my space cruiser. I plan to add more pictures and text, but since you wanted to see it, here you go: https://kerbalx.com/Mycroft_33/Leviathan

I would really appreciate your feed back on how best to improve the page, what with you being a dev and all, you would know how to make it look better. 

Thanks!

So I can view my ships, but I want to edit my Leviathan page, and for some reason, cannot find any edit button. Can someone please tell me how I can edit pages from a hangar?

Edit: Okay! I found it! Turns out, I actually had used the button before, but I though it was something else. I will now commence banging my head against the nearest wall!

Edited by Mycroft

2 hours ago, Mycroft said:

I would really appreciate your feed back on how best to improve the page, what with you being a dev and all, you would know how to make it look better. 

The (slightly crazy) page layout system I've built is aimed at letting you do pretty much what you want.  As you've probably found the page is made up of "containers" and you can put text, images or vids into them.  You can drag them around and resize them and you can also set font and background colors on them (click the arrow in the corner of a container).  I recommend using 1 container per image/album or video (so you can size them independently), but it's also quite good to break up text into multiple containers. You can overlap containers so you can put text over images (just make sure you use a font color which makes the text readable).  With text you can use both markdown (like on reddit) and BBcode (which we sort of have here), so you can do things like **this is bold** or *this is italic* or ##this is a header (click the "Markdown Help" in the toolbar at the top to see what you can do with that).

I made this "craft" page as a demo of what you can do with the page layout https://kerbalx.com/katateochi/KerbalXcom-Update

When the page is first created it comes with automatic containers with Details, Mods (unless stock) and Description. If you click to edit them you can see they're made with a "magic" bit of syntax ie [details] or [description] which automatically insert text based on the craft's attributes.  Honestly I thought most people would remove these auto text containers but most people leave them in.  So....whatever! All the info is available in the tabs at the top of the craft page anyway. I tend to change their colors and put them over an image like on this page https://kerbalx.com/katateochi/Retro-Fi
You can also do things like make an image wide, but reduce it's height or hide part of it behind another image (like at the bottom of the Retro-Fi's page).

Just one thing to note, the page layout will shift when viewed on narrow screens (mobiles etc).  make your browser narrow and have a look at the Retro-Fi's page to see how things change.

1 hour ago, Mycroft said:

So I can view my ships, but I want to edit my Leviathan page, and for some reason, cannot find any edit button. Can someone please tell me how I can edit pages from a hangar?

oh, and to do all of that, click on one of you craft (from anywhere, in a hanger, on the main page, or on your craft page (https://kerbalx.com/Mycroft_33/craft) and in the toolbar at the top of the page click on edit craft.

Edited by katateochi

@katateochi, thank you so much for your tips on the site. I'll work on my pages tomorrow afternoon, when I'm on my computer instead of my mobile. One thing I noticed while reviewing my page was that there are quite a few typos in the text of the website. For example, the options down at the bottom of any craft page spell view as 'veiw'. I'm sure you already know about these little things, but I wanted to mention them in case you didn't. Thanks again!

34 minutes ago, Mycroft said:

For example, the options down at the bottom of any craft page spell view as 'veiw'.

Dang! no I'd not noticed that! Thanks for pointing it out. Sometimes when you've been staring at something for ages you can't see it! Let me know of any other typos you spot. 

3 hours ago, Jhonforge_Gaming said:

When I Try Making a Hanger it says Error 500. I am a New Account User on KerbalX but not new to it.

You found a bug (or oversight on my part). Hangar descriptions can only be 255 characters long, but you don't get a message telling you that, it just errors. Sorry about that! 
For now put a shorter description and it should work. I will add in a proper error message and I might increase the length a little, but I don't think we want people writing essays in their hangar descriptions so prob 400 as the max.

6 minutes ago, katateochi said:

You found a bug (or oversight on my part). Hangar descriptions can only be 255 characters long, but you don't get a message telling you that, it just errors. Sorry about that! 
For now put a shorter description and it should work. I will add in a proper error message and I might increase the length a little, but I don't think we want people writing essays in their hangar descriptions so prob 400 as the max.

oh that would make sense...Thanks though

On 8/3/2016 at 8:34 PM, katateochi said:

awesome! ....yet, still not quite as exactly the same as it can be with pure stock craft. A 4.3t difference in weight could be down to some rounding errors when calculating the value of resources (but I don't think so), but the cost is off by 3601, which is more than 4.3 tons worth of any of the resources your craft has. Have you got anything in effect that would increase your costs slightly?
Well it's much closer than it was.  Not handling tweaked parts correctly was the issue.  I'll try to get it closer, but regardless I'll deploy these changes on saturday (as annoyingly I'm away tomorrow) and I'll then re-calc the values for all craft.

I don't know where that minor difference came from. It could be from adjustable ballast or some other patches I have. I don't know... I simply have too many mods...

The numbers you got are already close enough for a mod craft! That's totally acceptable!

Edited by siliconworm

The patch for better calculation of craft mass and cost (which now takes part scaling into account) has been deployed and all craft are now being recalculated (a process which now with 9000+ craft takes ~30 mins!). So shortly all craft should be showing better (if not quite perfect) values for cost and mass.

Also couple minor fixes (thanks @Mycroft and @Jhonforge_Gaming for pointing those out).
If anyone spots typos, do let me know. The combination of being overly familiar with the interface and mild dyslexia means I'm sometimes oblivious to them! 

By the way @Mycroft, your Leviathan is now the heaviest craft on the site and is in the top 3 for most expensive!
top 3 most expensive craft | top 3 most massive craft 

On that note... The Dev's Pick hangar;  I try to add interesting/unusual/exceptional craft to it at around about 2 craft a week.  But I don't see every single craft that you guys post (I still try to, but the rate of posting is going up, yay!) so if you spot something that you think is really awesome and deserves a spot in that hangar just send me a message (pm me or say it here) and I'll consider it.  I also try not add too many craft from the same user, so although it's clear that some of you (actually quite a few of you) put plenty of awesome into all of your designs, don't be offended if your craft doesn't get added!

Thanks a ton! I feel so honored to be considered a part of the big leagues! I really appreciate your personable-ness (I have no idea what word to use there), and I absolutely love the site! I think it's one of the best fan works done in a long time. I have noticed a rather annoying bug recently, though. I used the profile picture feature to upload a logo for CMAU Incorporated, and I find that it seemingly randomly deletes my profile picture. At first, I thought it was a mistake of mine, but it has now happened for about the tenth time, and it gets frustrating. Sorry to follow on the heels of your splendid post about a new update with a bug report. About the dev's pick hangar, I went looking for awesome ships on my own, and I swear that every one where I went "Ooooohhh that's so awesome!" was literally already in the dev's pick hangar! So I think you have that down pat.