KerbalX.com - Craft & Mission Sharing

katateochi

On 8/18/2016 at 4:42 AM, katateochi said:

@siliconworm hmmm, interesting! I shall look into that negative mass/cost issue (That is a very tiny craft!!) and the vid url problem. (I'm away today though, so prob won't have a chance until tomorrow or the weekend).

Thanks! And I have another suggestion for the site: add some new sorting options on the main page. For example, by weight, by crew, by cost, and by size (length along the longest axis). I think that would be interesting!

Edited by siliconworm

@siliconworm I've got fixes for both the issues you reported, traffic on the site is just a bit too high to deploy them right now, so I'll deploy the changes tomorrow morning (usually less traffic then).

On 18/08/2016 at 4:09 AM, siliconworm said:

In the game, it actually costs $53 and weighs 11kg:

The parts in a craft file give modMass and modCost values which (from what I can deduce) are the difference from the base mass and cost of the part as a result of a mod scaling the part and can be negative (so modMass + original mass should equal the new mass, same for cost).  With your craft that sum is returning negative values (which I would have thought shouldn't happen).  But if I assert that the values of that sum can't be less than 0 then I get a mass of 0.01t and a cost of 45 which is a lot closer. The discrepancy then might just be down to KX not having any cost data for the resource FixedBallast.

On 18/08/2016 at 7:19 AM, siliconworm said:

Because the source code automatically turns every "--" into "–", any video link containing "--" will be broken!

It was escaping done by RedCarpet (the parser for markdown that I use) that was converting it to – and then my home brew parser for the custom markup was ignoring anything past the &.  Anyway, youtube urls with - in them will now work.  Does anyone know if there are other UTF-8/unicode chars used in youtube urls? 

On 19/08/2016 at 6:46 PM, siliconworm said:

And I have another suggestion for the site: add some new sorting options on the main page. For example, by weight, by crew, by cost, and by size (length along the longest axis).

oh! you know, I'd intended to add those and then completely forgotten. At least for mass, cost and crew_capacity that will be very easy, but size will be kinda tricky. The others are separate numerical attributes, whereas size is a string containing 3 values in the format "Width x Length x Depth" (I think in that order, but I'm not sure if the VAB and SPH use the same order) so I can't just apply SQL sorting to it.  
But I will add in sorting for mass, cost and crew capacity. 

@siliconworm stuff has been fixed! The video is now showing up on your craft and the mass/cost values for the other one is closer to the mark.
Also a few grammatical corrections and a fix that should stop instances of text on craft pages overflowing off the bottom of the page.

I've added sorting options for mass, cost and crew capacity. You need to click the + (show more sort options) button on the right of the main sort options to show them. 

Edited by katateochi

23 hours ago, ImpartialDerivatives said:

Would you please add "key tech" to craft pages? I'm not sure how difficult this would be, but having the craft's required tech nodes (leaves only) would really help career players.

I can very easily add all required tech as that's now known for all (most) craft (it's accurate for stock craft, maybe incomplete for some mod craft).  Adding just the leaves will be a little "interesting" but I'll see what I can do. I'd probably add that info under the details tab for craft.

Had you seen that you can use the "required tech" search filter to select tech nodes from the tree so you're just shown craft that work with those nodes? (if not, click the "more filters" button and then click "required tech" on the menu that opens). It's a new feature and I'm not 100% happy with it yet so any feedback about it would be helpful. 

1 hour ago, katateochi said:

I can very easily add all required tech as that's now known for all (most) craft (it's accurate for stock craft, maybe incomplete for some mod craft).  Adding just the leaves will be a little "interesting" but I'll see what I can do. I'd probably add that info under the details tab for craft.

Had you seen that you can use the "required tech" search filter to select tech nodes from the tree so you're just shown craft that work with those nodes? (if not, click the "more filters" button and then click "required tech" on the menu that opens). It's a new feature and I'm not 100% happy with it yet so any feedback about it would be helpful. 

The main motivation behind using just the leaves is so career players have a short list of nodes that they need to unlock to use the craft. It should be relatively easy to implement using KerbalX Part Mapper. Here's some pseudo-code that returns the key nodes:

requiredNodes := {}

for each part in craft {
    requiredNodes.include(part.RDNode)
}

unnecessaryNodes := {}		// Nodes that don't need to be mentioned

for each node in requiredNodes {
    if node.parents.length = 1 or node.requiresAllParents {
        for each parent in node.parents {
            unnecessaryNodes.include(parent)
        }
    }
}

keyNodes := {}

for each node in requiredNodes {
    if not unnecessaryNodes.contains(node) {
        keyNodes.include(node)
    }
}

return keyNodes

This should work with any mod since the program can access the modded tech tree.

On 8/21/2016 at 6:22 AM, katateochi said:

@siliconworm stuff has been fixed! The video is now showing up on your craft and the mass/cost values for the other one is closer to the mark.
Also a few grammatical corrections and a fix that should stop instances of text on craft pages overflowing off the bottom of the page.

I've added sorting options for mass, cost and crew capacity. You need to click the + (show more sort options) button on the right of the main sort options to show them. 

awesome! thank you very much!

20 hours ago, ImpartialDerivatives said:

The main motivation behind using just the leaves is so career players have a short list of nodes that they need to unlock to use the craft. It should be relatively easy to implement using KerbalX Part Mapper. Here's some pseudo-code that returns the key nodes:

Part of the reason I'd not put the full list of required tech for craft anywhere on the craft page yet is because in some cases it's a big list, so it's messy and not all that helpful. Just having the leaf nodes would greatly help with that.
Problem is that I have limited info to work with. Most of what KX knows comes from the cfg files for parts and they just state their required tech as a string so I know the name of the tech nodes but not their parents.  The site does also read in the stock tech tree cfg file so I do have data that lets me tell if a tech node is stock or not and I know about the parents for stock tech nodes, but I don't have that info for mod tech nodes.  At the moment the PartMapper and CKAN reader tools don't try to collect techtree info from mods so I'd need to add that in order to have more info about mod tech nodes (and from the looks of it that won't be straightforward). 

At the moment I could just display the leaf nodes which are in the stock tech tree, which would probably be enough for most craft on the site. Got a few other things to sort before I get to this, so this is on hold for the mo.  

5 hours ago, Fireheart318 said:

Is there a way to swap .craft files post-upload? I left some fuel in the wings of a plane after a particularly long mission and want to remove it

Yes, you can open the craft page, then upload the corrected craft file again as normal. The site will recognize it's the same name and will ask you if you wish to replace it.

@katateochi

Couldn't send you cake, so I made you a thing:

rJ6fe0t.png

Craft file -how could it not- is of course available on KerbalX.

It is flyable: it can take off from the runway, can reach speeds of up to 310m/s, get up to at least 16km, and it can land again safely. Just be careful in the turns, it's not particularly stable: it's easy to spin out and difficult to recover. Other than that, enjoy! :D

P.S.: Btw, I saw from the statistics page that KerbalX had 10526 craft available, so I went to a bit of trouble to get a screenshot with exactly 10527 on the altimeter... only to discover that the statistics did not update once I uploaded this. I guess the stats are cached and don't update live? Which probably means this craft is not actually nr. 10527. Oh well, I tried.

@swjr-swis That's awesome!! You got the font and shape of the logo spot on AND it flies! Amazing! That's so much better than cake :)
The vid of it taking off is epic, so much smoke it practically disappears for a second, but it lifts off perfectly.  Thanks for making this, it must have taken a while! 

Yeah the statistics page does use cached info (info for it is generated once a day) 'cos it was getting very slow to do all the calc's on the fly. But that is the 10527th craft according to the count at the top of the main crafts page (which is a live value), so nice one. 

Edited by katateochi

You got the font and shape of the logo spot on AND it flies! Amazing! That's so much better than cake :)
The vid of it taking off is epic, so much smoke it practically disappears for a second, but it lifts off perfectly.  Thanks for making this, it must have taken a while! 

Looking at it now that I've had some rest (it was one of those sleepless nights), I notice that the K is too narrow and the R too wide. I'll have to find some time to tweak that; I need to get a bit more sleep first.

The gear was a bit of a nightmare: I ended up having to use several sets of the largest ones to stop the random explosions. That size just barely fits within the fairing diameter, and they are not steerable, so it gets tricky if you touch down even slightly misaligned (thankfully it decellerates really good).

Keeping the outline of the logo as 'unspoiled' as possible from engines, exhaust, wings, or other dangly stuff was a bit of a puzzle. Angling the jets hides them from sight when looking top-down, gives it a bit of VTOL/STOL ability and provides for most of the lift, which allowed me to basically do without wings other than the letter segments. I'm playing pure stock these days, so no EEX, which means I had no choice but to use girders to attach the letters, but that's about the biggest concession I was willing to make to structural integrity over visuals. If I ever load up with EEX again, I may redo a version without the girders.

Yeah the statistics page does use cached info (info for it is generated once a day) 'cos it was getting very slow to do all the calc's on the fly. But that is the 10527th craft according to the count at the top of the main crafts page (which is a live value), so nice one.

Once a day is plenty, it's not crucial information, you made the right call there. But my OCD is happy now! :D

Edited by swjr-swis

On 01/09/2016 at 6:52 PM, Castille7 said:

I have a suggestion for the hangars. When someone used a craft from my hangar I don't know which craft or if the hangars is being used. Maybe add a status for the hangars to indicate their usage?

I could easily add a view count for hangars (incremented each time someone navigates to it), but I'm not sure how useful that info would be.  
Adding other usage for them is tricky; As a craft can be in multiple hangars and there are many different ways for a user to get to a craft (direct link, main page, user profile, various hangars, mod and part pages etc) I can't tell if a download on a particular craft can be attributed to a particular hangar that it's in.  I shall think on it though.  
I'm not happy with how hangars look or how the main list of hangars looks/works so that is an area I'm going to revisit so I will keep this in mind when improving the general look and feel of hangars (and any suggestions on that front are welcome...one suggestion already is to have a whole hangar download, ie all craft in hangar as a zip, so that's being considered. but particularly looking for suggestions about how hangars should look.). 

21 minutes ago, katateochi said:

I could easily add a view count for hangars (incremented each time someone navigates to it), but I'm not sure how useful that info would be.  
Adding other usage for them is tricky; As a craft can be in multiple hangars and there are many different ways for a user to get to a craft (direct link, main page, user profile, various hangars, mod and part pages etc) I can't tell if a download on a particular craft can be attributed to a particular hangar that it's in.  I shall think on it though.  
I'm not happy with how hangars look or how the main list of hangars looks/works so that is an area I'm going to revisit so I will keep this in mind when improving the general look and feel of hangars (and any suggestions on that front are welcome...one suggestion already is to have a whole hangar download, ie all craft in hangar as a zip, so that's being considered. but particularly looking for suggestions about how hangars should look.). 

Now that you explained this I can see the difficulties. If I think of something that might help I will let you know,

@katateochi, so just looking at the open hangars, I thought of a feature that would be nice. I don't think it's implemented yet, but could you maybe add an option to change a closed hangar an open one, and vice versa, so that say if I had an open hangar for craft submissions, and wanted to shut it down temporarily, I could turn it into a closed hangar, then change it back when I want to.