KerbalX.com - Craft & Mission Sharing

katateochi

9 hours ago, Mycroft said:

@katateochi, so just looking at the open hangars, I thought of a feature that would be nice. I don't think it's implemented yet, but could you maybe add an option to change a closed hangar an open one, and vice versa, so that say if I had an open hangar for craft submissions, and wanted to shut it down temporarily, I could turn it into a closed hangar, then change it back when I want to.

You should be able to do this. Go to your hangars (ie https://kerbalx.com/Mycroft_33/hangars) and then click "hangar settings" for the hangar you want to change and then you should be able to toggle the "Open" option. (You can't set "open" to be true on your downloads and favourites hangars).

1 hour ago, Sigma88 said:

hi there, I noticed that my mods are listed on your site.

could you please de-list them?

thanks in advance

Seriously? :rolleyes:

You're casually asking for a potentially big coding effort, making the site slower, use up more memory and adding potential for more bugs, for something that does not benefit you in any way (unless your mods being less known is what you're after).

KerbalX.com is not about mod distribution, it's about craft files. It automatically identifies mods used in the crafts uploaded to the site, because that is one of the services of the site - it identifies the parts the craft are made of, and what mods they are from, so that we can know what mods we need to have installed if we want to load up a particular craft. When a craft uses parts of a mod you don't have installed, KSP will not load the craft - so this is essential information for a craft sharing/hosting site.

Since KerbalX has no way to know if and/or when a mod will or will not include parts, it does an effort to identify all mods, even the ones that currently have no parts (but one of yours apparently does have parts).

To accommodate your request, he's going to have to figure out a way to add some kind of toggleable exception to single out your mods so they are skipped when auto-generating the mod list.

Again: the site does not enable installation of mods, it does not provide some alternative installation method, it is not circumventing your preferred manual installation method. It is just identifying them, naming them, and linking to your already public distribution point. People will still have to look up and read your installation instructions and manually install them. It is no different than if they clicked the link on your forum thread.

We need the site to identify the mods by name, simple not naming is not a workable alternative - a craft file that lists (mod-not-to-be-named) will remain unusable since KSP cannot load the file without the mod. If your issue is with the link to the zip file, is there some workable compromise, maybe a link to your forum release thread instead?

In this context, can I please point out the inherent slippery slope of asking/demanding others to stop linking to data and information one has made public themselves:

https://savethelink.org/

https://openmedia.org/en/right-link-risk

Edited by swjr-swis

I am on the brink of stop modding KSP altogether and people with your attitude are the reason.

once I've stopped, all your legal talk about your rights to link to my mods will happily end, since I will take down all the information from the internet.

thankfully katateochi is actually a nice person and we were able to sort things out.

Edited by Sigma88

45 minutes ago, Sigma88 said:

I am on the brink of stop modding KSP altogether and people with your attitude are the reason.

Hmm. If you're at the point where you consider a completely benign site like KerbalX listing your mods as something bad, and interpret my reply as hostile... I don't know what to say, buddy. It may actually be best for you to consider stopping. It'll be a loss to those who use your mods, but seriously, this is a game, it should be a pass time and fun to do, and your voluntary work on your mods should be something you enjoy, not something that burdens and stresses and pushes you to alienate your fellow enthusiasts.

I am sorry to see you have come to this point, but I am not the enemy you seek (thank you for accepting that much at least for KerbalX).

49 minutes ago, Sigma88 said:

once I've stopped all your legal talk about your rights to link to my mods will happily end, since I will take down all the information from the internet.

I need to point out that I am not the one asserting or assuming any 'rights' here. If anything, I was pleading for some common sense. Clearly I failed.

I realize you meant this as a sort of threat, but the above statement immediately reminded me of the following stand up scene - hopefully a bit of interjected humour can defuse the situation a bit:

Spoiler

Eddie Izzard about computers:

1 hour ago, Sigma88 said:

thankfully katateochi is actually a nice person

I am glad we agree on the one decisive matter in this exchange, because he absolutely is. Exactly why your request dumbfounded me, and why I felt the need to stand up and plead for a reconsideration or a compromise, even at the risk of being the lone voice speaking up. I'm glad he found the words I obviously didn't, proving in one more way why he and his work deserve our support.

Find a way to keep joy in what you do.

On September 10, 2016 at 4:47 AM, Sigma88 said:

once I've stopped, all your legal talk about your rights to link to my mods will happily end, since I will take down all the information from the internet.

thankfully katateochi is actually a nice person and we were able to sort things out.

Ummm legal? You made that mod agreeing that whoever wanted to could download it. It's not as if @katateochi and KerbalX are taking your credit, if anything they're giving you more. You're the one taking your own credit. I don't want to get a mod where the developers act like this! There really are no disadvantages to getting it listed, unless you don't want your mod used, in which case why on earth Kerbin why'd you make it? 

Oh and here's the beauty of it: If you delete your mod, guess what?! IT GETS DE-LISTED!! Boom! Easy as pie! Really, the attitude I've seen on the forums lately! 

The issue of the listing of Sigma88's mods has been resolved (they are still listed, just with their links redirected to the forum pages), so lets drop the topic. 

33 minutes ago, Mycroft said:

Oh and here's the beauty of it: If you delete your mod, guess what?! IT GETS DE-LISTED!! Boom! Easy as pie! Really, the attitude I've seen on the forums lately!

this isn't quite true, KX continues to list all mods, because the aim is being able to detect parts on craft and someone could still upload a craft that uses an extinct mod and also we want to preserve the mod lists on older craft that have already been uploaded.  
What is more likely is that as parts (or at least part names) from an extinct mod get repurposed, then the that mod will gradually drop in significance as it's parts get taken over by other mods.  There is an assumption on KX that there can only ever be one instance of a part with a particular name. It turns out that most mods do have unique part names, but there are cases of two mods having a part with the same name.  In these cases there is a tug of war that goes on between the two mods and ultimately the mod that is more common will get the part. 

Anyway....on to new stuff.  I'm working on a mod! I've only just started learning how to code for unity so don't expect it tomorrow, but the aim of it will be to integrate with the site from within the game.  The main features will be uploading and updating craft from within the game, but I also want to add another feature (which I'm called 'deferred downloads', at least until I can think of a better name) which will enable you to click download on a craft while browsing the site, but rather than getting the craft right away it will just get added to a list on your account.  Then when you fire up your game the mod will check if you've marked any craft for download and ask if you want to fetch them. So you'll be able to tag craft for download from your mobile or another computer while you're out and about and then when you get back to KSP you can then fetch them.  + some other features.  
That's the plan anyway! writing plugins is....interesting. On that note...if anyone know's C# I need help with one particular thing; making a request over SSL. I can make an request to an http site, but I cannot figure out how to make a request to an https site. 

Did stackoverflow.com help? I hope so. Funny, I'm only just now realizing how busy I'm going to be in the next couple weeks. But I want to help as much as I can.

Also is there perhaps a way to make KerbalX an http site?

Cause that might help.

Or am I just being ignorant?

5 hours ago, katateochi said:

It turns out that most mods do have unique part names, but there are cases of two mods having a part with the same name.

What happens in KSP when due to this there are two parts with identical names? The last one loaded wins? Or does it give an exception and not load the second?

The main features will be uploading and updating craft from within the game, but I also want to add another feature (which I'm called 'deferred downloads', at least until I can think of a better name) which will enable you to click download on a craft while browsing the site, but rather than getting the craft right away it will just get added to a list on your account.  Then when you fire up your game the mod will check if you've marked any craft for download and ask if you want to fetch them. So you'll be able to tag craft for download from your mobile or another computer while you're out and about and then when you get back to KSP you can then fetch them.  + some other features.

I'm off mods for the foreseeable future, but this sounds like the perfect mod for KerbalX users. I like the idea.

I am willing to set up a second install to testdrive this, whenever you get to that point.

if anyone know's C# I need help with one particular thing; making a request over SSL. I can make an request to an http site, but I cannot figure out how to make a request to an https site.

You can get more views/responses from those in the know by posting this question in the plugin dev section of the forum. I'm not strong in the C# force, but I would expect it to be the same code as for HTTP requests, as long as you already did the SSL/certificate negotiation (which as I understand it, is a separate step). But don't trust me on this, ask some actual expert.

48 minutes ago, Mycroft said:

Please no. He just upgraded it to use https not too long ago. Let's not take a step back again. KerbalX doesn't require login to download crafts, which I like, but it does need login to upload (necessarily so, to identify the user and upload to their account). Any website doing logins should use https, period, and when it's already being done for the logins, might as well make it site-wide.

2 hours ago, swjr-swis said:

What happens in KSP when due to this there are two parts with identical names? The last one loaded wins? Or does it give an exception and not load the second?

I'm not sure, I keep meaning to check that. 

2 hours ago, swjr-swis said:

I am willing to set up a second install to testdrive this, whenever you get to that point.

Yeah that would be helpful as I'm sure there will be issues with the first release (very first testing release will be uploading to the staging site, not the main one, so I hope to iron out the major glitches before a main release). I will let you know when I've got something ready. 

3 hours ago, Mycroft said:

Did stackoverflow.com help? I hope so. Funny, I'm only just now realizing how busy I'm going to be in the next couple weeks. But I want to help as much as I can.
Cause that might help.Or am I just being ignorant?

Yeah stackoverflow always helps, but I'm still confused about https requests. I've put that problem to one side for now but I'll have to come back to it. 

As @swjr-swis said, the site was recently(ish) moved up to https and going back isn't really an option. I'm very much behind the "HTTPS everywhere" movement and now-a-days I think even sites that don't require logins should be using using https (cough, KSP forum, cough). What's more is (as of last year I think) google announced that they will be using https as a factor in page ranking, in other words non-https sites will be penalised in search ranks. 

16 hours ago, swjr-swis said:

Please no. He just upgraded it to use https not too long ago. Let's not take a step back again. KerbalX doesn't require login to download crafts, which I like, but it does need login to upload (necessarily so, to identify the user and upload to their account). Any website doing logins should use https, period, and when it's already being done for the logins, might as well make it site-wide.

Oh. Sorry. Https wreaks havoc with my machine, and has made uploading craft to KerbalX an intricate dance and a major hassle. So I never really viewed it as an improvement, but yes security is nice. [cough] unnamed foreign country that has hacked US servers repeatedly [cough].

But yeah, @katateochi, that porting is a sticky issue....

I'm sensing a disturbance in the force, so just pushed a minor update to enable tagging craft with a version of 1.2 (and 1.1.99) as pre-release "beta" craft.  There is one already up there from @DasValdez 

1 hour ago, Mycroft said:

Https wreaks havoc with my machine, and has made uploading craft to KerbalX an intricate dance and a major hassle

That sounds....concerning. Assuming your browser and OS are up to date that shouldn't be causing you issues. What hassle does it cause with KX uploads?

4 hours ago, katateochi said:

That sounds....concerning. Assuming your browser and OS are up to date that shouldn't be causing you issues. What hassle does it cause with KX uploads?

They don't always work and they take forever. Pictures are the intricate dance part. I'm fairly certain it's my internet filtration software, which is really dumb (the software). It's not anyone else's problem, I was merely saying that that is probably the reason I have not seen https as an improvement. 

• 2 weeks later...
14 hours ago, Mycroft said:

@katateochi, I had a request for a new feature. Could you make it so that we can search for various hangars? I don’t think it is already done. If so, please tell me. 

Thanks!

Yes, all of hangars needs and overhaul! And a search will definitely be part of that. Not quite sure what to make it search for though....hangar name is obvious and easy to do, but is it really that helpful? search by hangar name, user name....filter by mod, stock and mixed hangars.  Could also do something like hangars that have craft with X mods.  I might just use the same search as I've built for craft, but rather than returning craft have it return the hangars which contain those craft. Not totally sure.
One thing @DasValdez has suggested before was to have more integration of hangars on the main front page, which I really like as an idea, I'm just not sure how to pull it off from a visual/layout point of view. Hangars also would need to be leaned up (they're kinda bloaty) and the front page search has to be really fast.

But yes, hangar overhaul is basically the next thing I want to tackle after I've got the mod working (which btw, is coming along quite well now, test release should be ....soon).

EEEK!! KX fell over pretty badly last night. Viewing craft directly was still ok, just the craft search was broken (so main page was failing to load craft).
Had a craft uploaded which passed the "is this a craft file" checks, but had lots of extra \'s all over the place and what looks like font definitions at the top of the file.  Have a look; 

Spoiler

{\rtf1\ansi\ansicpg1252\cocoartf1347\cocoasubrtf570
{\fonttbl\f0\fmodern\fcharset0 Courier;}
{\colortbl;\red255\green255\blue255;}
\paperw11900\paperh16840\margl1440\margr1440\vieww10800\viewh8400\viewkind0
\deftab720
\pard\pardeftab720

\f0\fs24 \cf0 \expnd0\expndtw0\kerning0
ship = <name-deleted>\
version = 1.1.3\
description = Made by <deleted>\
type = VAB\
size = 2.814242,1.783472,2.873854\
PART\
\{\
	part = dockingPort3_4287750160\
	partName = Part\

maybe edited in a word processor program? 
It was the \ in the version of the craft that caused the glitch, as the site was trying to sort by versions and 3\ isn't a number. Anyway, fixed it so that particular glitch can't ever happen again, regexps to the rescue! 
Sorry for the downtime, would have fixed it sooner, but I was in bed when it happened! 

1 minute ago, katateochi said:

EEEK!! KX fell over pretty badly last night. Viewing craft directly was still ok, just the craft search was broken (so main page was failing to load craft).
Had a craft uploaded which passed the "is this a craft file" checks, but had lots of extra \'s all over the place and what looks like font definitions at the top of the file.  Have a look; 

Hide contents

{\rtf1\ansi\ansicpg1252\cocoartf1347\cocoasubrtf570
{\fonttbl\f0\fmodern\fcharset0 Courier;}
{\colortbl;\red255\green255\blue255;}
\paperw11900\paperh16840\margl1440\margr1440\vieww10800\viewh8400\viewkind0
\deftab720
\pard\pardeftab720

\f0\fs24 \cf0 \expnd0\expndtw0\kerning0
ship = <name-deleted>\
version = 1.1.3\
description = Made by <deleted>\
type = VAB\
size = 2.814242,1.783472,2.873854\
PART\
\{\
	part = dockingPort3_4287750160\
	partName = Part\

maybe edited in a word processor program? 
It was the \ in the version of the craft that caused the glitch, as the site was trying to sort by versions and 3\ isn't a number. Anyway, fixed it so that particular glitch can't ever happen again, regexps to the rescue! 
Sorry for the downtime, would have fixed it sooner, but I was in bed when it happened! 

It does look like PDF or PostScript.

6 minutes ago, Val said:

{\rtf1\ansi\ansicpg1252\

RTF... Wordpad. Almost 99% guaranteed. ANSI codepage 1252... 100% Windows confirmed.

Definitely a Windows user that mistakenly used Wordpad instead of Notepad to edit a craft file, and didnt notice it got automatically saved as RTF.

I dunno, @katateochi... sleeping on the job, no parser for RTF... I may have to retract my undying devotion to the KerbalX site. Tsk Tsk.

Edited by swjr-swis

13 minutes ago, katateochi said:

So I'll be adding 'starting with {\rtf' to the list of definitions of what isn't a craft file.

Why not the other way around: add a definition for what IS a craft file? Seems like the list would be a lot shorter and processing quicker...

20 minutes ago, swjr-swis said:

Why not the other way around: add a definition for what IS a craft file? Seems like the list would be a lot shorter and processing quicker...

It is actually that way round, mostly a white list, but I can also black list things. It checks to see if certain things are present and that it has an expected structure and if not it invalidates the file. But in this case my craft file reader was still able to read the file and pull out the expected bits of info, so that didn't catch it, in fact it was still able to identify all the parts (part names already get stripped of extra data to remove the id values so that also removed the trailing /), it was just the version that tripped it up. 
So in this case I'll add a check to see if it starts with {\rtf and invalidate it if it is there.
I did have a quick look for an RTF parser library for Ruby, but those that exist are ancient and don't appear to be maintained anymore, so I don't really want to go down that path, best just to return an error message saying it can't be read and why.

20 minutes ago, katateochi said:

I did have a quick look for an RTF parser library for Ruby, but those that exist are ancient and don't appear to be maintained anymore

Microsoft stopped maintaining/developing RTF 8 years ago, so that's not surprising. Any library from around that time would still be 'up to date'.

@katateochi, is the KerbalX PartMapper updated for 1.2.0pre?

Reason I'm asking: I uploaded a pure stock craft to KerbalX, and it claims it's a mod craft, because it doesn't yet recognise the new size0 heatshield. So, I figured I'd be helpful and let PartMapper add it to the site's database. But it won't upload due to an internal server error:

PartMapper for KerbalX.com - v0.4.2

Scanning Parts in C:/_/progs/KSP120p

Parts Found: 301 done

Removing duplicates and sorting... done

Discovered 301 parts

Sending data to KerbalX.com.....

sending info about 'Squad'...Failed -> error: 500
Some requests could not be processed because reasons;
        Internal Server Error

This terminal will stay open for a minute if you want to review the output
Or you can close it now with CTRL+C

(Btw, it still doesn't create a logfile, not even by redirecting output on the command line.)

On 08/10/2016 at 11:10 PM, swjr-swis said:

is the KerbalX PartMapper updated for 1.2.0pre?

It should be ok, in that's largely unaffected by KSP updates, unless they change the fundamental way cfg files are structured. I shall look into that though. 
I'm a bit incapacitated at present, spent the weekend upgrading my PC and it's been quite a mission, still not got coding env setup yet, but give me a day or two and I'll sort it.