KerbalX.com - Craft & Mission Sharing

katateochi

On 05/01/2017 at 4:30 PM, DiegoZ said:

It works! Thank you so much :-D

I noticed that there's a limit to action groups(10),can you increase that too?Some of my ships arrive at 17.

Regards

The current action groups assumes the stock action group setup. Won't be quite as simple to change that, but I'll have a think about it. 

15 hours ago, katateochi said:

The current action groups assumes the stock action group setup. Won't be quite as simple to change that, but I'll have a think about it. 

Ok no problem I think that the site is also excellent so ^_^

Thanks again :-D

Regards

Hey Kat, long time no talk to! I came here to report a small typo. In the part description for the stock OKTO probe core, it has a bunch of handy info as well as some 1796 craft using it. Among those it lists is the resources it contains. It says: 

resources:

ElectricCharge

Resources should be capitalized. 

Thanks, 

Mycroft

PS: Also this is the case for these:

cost:

mass:

category:
Pods

• 1 month later...

So I was doing a complete re-install of ksp and as such deleted the kerbalx mod and when i looked to download it again i couldn't find it anywhere on the home page of kerbalx, as something so useful and something you were trying to promote i think it would be good to have it displayed somewhere on the main page. Not necessarily in everyone's' face but at least a little link at the bottom.

-Sincerely Your Companion Cube 

@YourCompanionCube Good point! I will add some links to it on the front page.  It gets show on craft that are uploaded with it, which I guess lets people know about it when browsing, but isn't much good if you're looking for it later. I just wasn't sure where on the front page to put it, but it does need to be there somewhere!

1 hour ago, katateochi said:

I just wasn't sure where on the front page to put it, but it does need to be there somewhere!

A few suggestions, not mutually exclusive, for placement:

• Probably the most obvious/visible to find: behind 'Upload Craft' on the roll-down tab at the top center bar, it could say '(or use the KX Mod)' which links to the mod download page (https://kerbalx.com/mod). Or at least include it somewhere on the tab that rolls down.
  • Somewhere in the page footer. Either in the vertical space between 'Suggestions and Feedback' and 'SpaceDock|CKAN Mod Manager', or added to that last one as 'KX Mod|SpaceDock|CKAN Mod Manager'.
  • A small link somewhere at the top of the Mods page (https://kerbalx.com/mods), since someone that knows of the mod and comes looking specifically might see the huge 'Mods' in that top right corner and immediately consider it relevant and click on it.
  • Definitely somewhere on the About page (https://kerbalx.com/about). It mentions CKAN, it even mentions and links the now rather obsolete Part Mapper... it definitely should mention and link the KX Mod.
  • On craft pages, in the sliding tab that open after clicking 'Download', the second line says 'use the KX mod to fetch it when you're in KSP spacecenter view'. Make the 'KX mod' in that line a link to the download page. Not sure if this line shows for anyone that hasn't yet installed the mod and set themselves for deferred downloads.
  • On that same Download tab, where it says 'turn on|off deferred downloads', you could add a '?' at the end that pops up a little window explaining what deferred downloads are and how they depend on the KX Mod - link). Like you already have to explain 'the slidery thing next to the download link' :D
  • On the Dev Blog page (https://kerbalx.com/dev_blog), add a block at the top with the others, maybe between 'Want to suggest something?' and 'Found a bug?', that gives the download link and explains how to report bugs with the mod (the other one is just for the website, maybe should be edited to specify that too).
  • The Statistics page (https://kerbalx.com/statistics) should start showing how many mods have been uploaded (and downloaded!) through the KX Mod.
  • Not on the site itself, but really needs it as well: the OP of this very thread. It needs a link at the top, and a mention in the description.

(Feel free to read 'preferably' and 'could' where I said 'definitely' and 'should' in my initial enthusiasm... after all, I'm not the one having to do the work. :blush:)

Edited by swjr-swis
tempered

@swjr-swis good suggestions. seriously sometimes you (read: I) can't see the wood for the trees! I shall add in more links in the next deploy (soon. main new change coming is a condensing of notifications for people you follow, rather than one notification for each thing (upload/update), you'll get one notification showing all uploads/updates of someone you follow. So when one of the more prolific posters (you know the ones!) updates a ton of their craft it will just be one notification). 

On 19/02/2017 at 2:27 AM, adsii1970 said:

Cannot wait to see these changes!

oh! and the other (kinda more significant) thing; Currently when you upload a craft it becomes visible on the front page the instant you upload it, before you've had a chance to customise the page.  I'm changing this to have a "publish" step, so you can upload a craft and make whatever changes you want to the page and during this time the craft won't be visible to other users, then you can click publish to make it visible. 

Because this is a change to the current usage I'm making it an option. There'll be a setting to enable/disable "instant publish", with it on craft will get published the instant you upload them (as it is now).  
What I'm thinking is that for existing users "instant publish" will be switched on by default so unless you choose to change the option there won't be any change to how uploading works.  New users will have "instant publish" off by default.  Or do you think I should push this new way of doing things to all users (but you can still choose to go back to the old insta-publish way if you like)?

You'll only be able to have one craft at a time in an unpublished state as I don't want to enable having "private" craft (that maybe something I'll add later).  If you upload a craft and leave it in an unpublished state and then come back a couple hours later and hit publish, the "upload" date stamp will be set to the time you hit publish (rather than the time it was actually uploaded) so it will appear at the top of the main page at the time you publish it. 

Uploads from the mod will still be insta-published regardless of what setting you have (point being that mod uploads can be done fully from in game without having to go and finalise anything on the site).  The only warning here is that if you have a craft that is unpublished and you then go and upload a craft using the mod, it will remove the unpublished craft first.

I'm just tidying up this feature now, so it will be ready soon. If you've got any thoughts about it before I deploy the changes let me know!

Site updated! (version 1.1.0)

* When you upload a craft you can now take your time customising the craft's page before making it visible to other users.  This adds a "publish craft" step to the upload process and the craft edit page will make it very clear that the craft isn't published yet. If you want to go back to the original way of the craft becoming public the instant you upload it you can switch on "instant publish" in your settings.  

* If you follow a user who tends to upload or update a lot of craft at a time, you will now just get one notification for all of their upload/update activity, rather than a storm of notifications for each craft.

* Added a load of links to find the KX mod on various pages (thanks @YourCompanionCube and @swjr-swis for suggestions for that).

* Couple minor bug fixes

32 minutes ago, katateochi said:

Site updated! (version 1.1.0)

Looking good, all useful additions and improvements. Did you sneakily add a little animation to the More Filters button that wasn't there before?

I notice we're slowly catching up with the KSP version. Hmm 1.1.0 ... does that mean next big update is a major engine upgrade? :D

I have some catching up to do with lots of stuff now that I'm less miserable (flu can be a real pain in the rear). I'll have to find a it of time this weekend to browse the new stuff.

3 minutes ago, swjr-swis said:

Did you sneakily add a little animation to the More Filters button that wasn't there before?

The little shimmer effect? That's been there a while now (i think since I made the layout responsive). Just an attempt at drawing a little attention to it, I wanted it to be subtle, perhaps it's too subtle! 
On the subject of hidden things, has anyone noticed the hidden 'graffiti' from Jeb (it's only visible on mobiles, or browsers that let you scroll above the top of the page).  
Also, other random side things;
https://kerbalx.com/orbits - it's just the planets (no moons, yet) and while orbits are perfectly circular the orbital periods and scale is roughly correct.  The cool thing is it's done with just CSS, so it can be scaled to any size just by changing font size (and is what's used for the site's loading animation). 
https://kerbalx.com/fontpack - the glyphicon (icon pack contained in a font) that's used on the site.  Anyone can use it if they like (download links on that page) and I hope to get people to contribute to adding more icons to it (need peps who can do vector graphics). 

5 minutes ago, swjr-swis said:

I notice we're slowly catching up with the KSP version. Hmm 1.1.0 ... does that mean next big update is a major engine upgrade? :D

well, you say that in jest, but.... I actually want to upgrade the Ruby version (which would be like an engine upgrade).  KerbalX is still on the very reliable, but now kinda out of date Ruby 1.9.3 (2.4 is now the current).  There would be some nice advantages to upgrading it, but I also hear that it would be likely to increase the RAM usage of the site (and I'm already touching the RAM limit on my host).  Problem is I can't test it on my staging server because without real traffic it's hard to see how it would perform.  So I'm not sure what to do.

29 minutes ago, swjr-swis said:

I have some catching up to do with lots of stuff now that I'm less miserable (flu can be a real pain in the rear). I'll have to find a it of time this weekend to browse the new stuff.

Hope you get over the flu soon! 

3 hours ago, katateochi said:

* When you upload a craft you can now take your time customising the craft's page before making it visible to other users.  This adds a "publish craft" step to the upload process and the craft edit page will make it very clear that the craft isn't published yet.

* If you follow a user who tends to upload or update a lot of craft at a time, you will now just get one notification for all of their upload/update activity, rather than a storm of notifications for each craft.

These two are some really nice quality-of-life improvements @katateochi.  Thanks! :)

@katateochi, I have a potential bug with the site since the latest site update.  I was trying to update some previously uploaded craft via the "EDIT CRAFT" page.  After the craft file re-uploaded, it reverted the craft page to the default layout with the placeholder image (the one that is posted if a user doesn't upload an image) and default info in the description box.  I tried it with another craft to ensure it wasn't a fluke error, but it was happening consistently.

While we're on the topic of images, I know that the first image uploaded remains on the craft thumbnail, even if the main image on the craft page is replaced later.  Is there a way to update the craft thumbnail as well?  I apologize if this has been asked before.  Thanks.

59 minutes ago, Raptor9 said:

@katateochi, I have a potential bug with the site since the latest site update.  I was trying to update some previously uploaded craft via the "EDIT CRAFT" page.  After the craft file re-uploaded, it reverted the craft page to the default layout with the placeholder image (the one that is posted if a user doesn't upload an image) and default info in the description box.  I tried it with another craft to ensure it wasn't a fluke error, but it was happening consistently.

dang, yes I can replicate that issue, Bug confirmed! doh! Sorry about that.  It looks like you've re-created the page content for the craft you updated, but if you need me to I could get the page content out of a backup.
I'll try to get a fix for that out tomorrow (or maybe later today, but I'm just about to go out), just hold off updating craft for now unless you don't mind re-creating the page content.

1 hour ago, Raptor9 said:

While we're on the topic of images, I know that the first image uploaded remains on the craft thumbnail, even if the main image on the craft page is replaced later.  Is there a way to update the craft thumbnail as well?  I apologize if this has been asked before.  Thanks.

At the top of the edit page (in the "edit toolbar") there is an image which shows the current thumbnail, if you click on that you can select any of the images you've used on the page to be the thumbnail. (sometimes after changing thumbnail it appears to revert back to the previous thumbnail, but that's just because of browser image caching, reloading the page usually gets the right image to appear).  It also can take up to an hour for the thumbnail to change on the main craft list, again due to image caching (but this time with the CDN).  

Thanks for reporting the bug!! 

OK found the problem, but it's in a bit which is common to the API the mod uses, so I need to test it with the mod and I'm out of time for today. Should have the fix up tomorrow though. 
(puzzled that it's not been an issue before, because it's not in an area that was altered by the recent changes).

@rapt0r That bug should now be fixed. proceed with your updating!

I've also fixed another bug which was preventing thumbnails from being generated (or it even recognising that pictures had been added) if the first image added was a large gif.  
and I've finally fixed an intermittently failing set of tests in the test suit.  For months I've had 4 annoying tests that would sometimes pass and sometimes fail (to do with creating the time period data for the graph in the dashboard).  I finally realised that the tests where failing if it was before half past the hour and would pass if it was later than half past the hour, which lead me to realise it was a rounding error. Changed a .round to .ceil and that fixed it. yay! 

oh and I've added a sneaky little feature (that currently only people who read this thread or find it by accident will know about, I'll add something on the site later).  Craft can now get thumbnails from youtube videos, so if you just put a youtube vid on your craft's page, then it will fetch the default thumbnail from youtube and use that as the craft's thumbnail. 

31 minutes ago, Raptor9 said:

Wrong "raptor" :sticktongue:, but thanks @katateochi; I'll get to work immediately!

oh, opps! soz! I see you've updated a bunch now (which I got all as a single notification, yay). I noticed three have the wrong thumbnail (C7 325R 'Atlas', C7-320-Atlas and C7-200-Albatross), did they get changed by updating them this time or was that from before?  I'll double check anyway when I'm back in KX dev mode.