KerbalX.com - Craft & Mission Sharing

katateochi

Sorry guys! I was out all day (and with no phone reception) and didn't see the errors coming in.  Site's back up, just had to restart the server. 
erm not sure what happened, definitely not hacked, probably not @Azimech's fault, (at least I don't think it was).  
Boring details are that a variable that has no business being nil somehow ended up being nil, I'm actually slightly mystified as to how that happened, shall investigate and put in preventative measures. 

edit

7 hours ago, (-io-) said:

Only the profile page works

The error was in the search system (which drives every page that has a list of craft, mods, parts etc). So most of the key pages! 
Did anyone notice if direct links to specific craft still worked? or was that borked too? I didn't check that, I just panicked and hit the reset button! 

Edited by katateochi

26 minutes ago, katateochi said:

Site's back up, just had to restart the server. 
erm not sure what happened, definitely not hacked, probably not @Azimech's fault, (at least I don't think it was).  

Mmmmm hmmm...  likely story...

I'm calling it what it is:  RUSSIAN HACKING!

...and @Azimech has obviously been colluding with them on this the whole time!

I'm calling for the appointment of Special Counsel to conduct an independent investigation.

I have been using KerbalX for a while, and there is only one problem. When I am searching for stock craft, if won't show me craft that use FAR or any other non-part mods. If you could add something that automatically puts anything under "Stock" as long as it doesn't use mod parts, that would be great!

11 hours ago, IMLL1 said:

I have been using KerbalX for a while, and there is only one problem. When I am searching for stock craft, if won't show me craft that use FAR or any other non-part mods. If you could add something that automatically puts anything under "Stock" as long as it doesn't use mod parts, that would be great!

If you select 'Ferram Aerospace Research' in the mod filter and then switch the mod filter mode to 'will work With selected mods' (using the 3 large buttons towards the bottom of the mod filter section) then that will find craft that just use the mods you have selected, so that will return stock craft that also use FAR.  You could also use the 'use Only selected mods' mode and that will (in this case) give you the same result.  If you select multiple mods, ie FAR and mechjeb2 (for example), then the 'With' mode will find craft that either use both those mods, or just one of them, whereas the 'Only' mode will just return craft that use both.  The default 'Include' mode finds craft that use (include) whichever mod(s) you've selected, but will also use other mods.

The 'With' mode is the most useful when trying to find craft that work with your mod setup.  Think of it as telling KerbalX which mods you have installed and it will then find craft that would work with those mods installed. So they may not use all the selected mods, but they won't use any other mods.

On 7/1/2017 at 4:38 AM, katateochi said:

If you select 'Ferram Aerospace Research' in the mod filter and then switch the mod filter mode to 'will work With selected mods' (using the 3 large buttons towards the bottom of the mod filter section) then that will find craft that just use the mods you have selected, so that will return stock craft that also use FAR.  You could also use the 'use Only selected mods' mode and that will (in this case) give you the same result.  If you select multiple mods, ie FAR and mechjeb2 (for example), then the 'With' mode will find craft that either use both those mods, or just one of them, whereas the 'Only' mode will just return craft that use both.  The default 'Include' mode finds craft that use (include) whichever mod(s) you've selected, but will also use other mods.

The 'With' mode is the most useful when trying to find craft that work with your mod setup.  Think of it as telling KerbalX which mods you have installed and it will then find craft that would work with those mods installed. So they may not use all the selected mods, but they won't use any other mods.

Sorry, I didn't word that very well. I want a button that will automatically include any craft as stock so long as they do not use mod parts (KerbalPaint, FAR, RO, etc), this way I can just see all the craft that will load in stock KSP.

In case it helps, my reason for wanting this is that I am trying to find as many replicas of real missions as I can. The problem is that I then have to look through the mods and see which do not have parts. And then there are mods such as TweakScale, which doesn't technically add new parts, but won't load its craft in stock.

Thanks, IMLL1

14 hours ago, drhay53 said:

Does the required tech filter work right? I'm seeing a 404 when I try to open it in a new tab, and nothing happens when I left click on it.

There's a known issue with the required tech filter, I'll have it sorted soon. (It never works as an open in new tab link, because its a ajax/javascript driven event, left click should work but currently doesn't)

• 3 weeks later...

Minor site update:

Couple minor fixes, but one that had been really annoying me and until yesterday I just couldn't find a solution to; image albums on craft pages when viewed on a mobile would sometimes show the image squashed into a thin band and also albums wouldn't resize correctly when switching a phone from portrait to landscape. Both those should be fixed now. 
I've also tweaked how the thumbnail scroller on albums works, I think it's better now.

Also trying a bit of an experiment with the database configuration, shouldn't cause a problem, might fix some timeout issues the site's been having. Let me know if you get any weird errors showing up!

On Friday the site hit I think the second highest number of users on the site. Usually KX gets about 2k unique users a day, on Friday it was nearly 10k! All because of this craft by @letmeparkthatforyou (who I don't think is on the forums. edit: just found out he's @Krog34 on here).  If you've not seen it check it out, pretty nice design. 

Edited by katateochi

1 hour ago, katateochi said:

Minor site update:

Couple minor fixes, but one that had been really annoying me and until yesterday I just couldn't find a solution to; image albums on craft pages when viewed on a mobile would sometimes show the image squashed into a thin band and also albums wouldn't resize correctly when switching a phone from portrait to landscape. Both those should be fixed now. 
I've also tweaked how the thumbnail scroller on albums works, I think it's better now.

Also trying a bit of an experiment with the database configuration, shouldn't cause a problem, might fix some timeout issues the site's been having. Let me know if you get any weird errors showing up!

On Friday the site hit I think the second highest number of users on the site. Usually KX gets about 2k unique users a day, on Friday it was nearly 10k! All because of this craft by @letmeparkthatforyou (who I don't think is on the forums. edit: just found out he's @Krog34 on here).  If you've not seen it check it out, pretty nice design. 

I really love your site katateochi and boy was I surprised to post that craft really late at night and wake up to it rivaling my highest downloaded crafts JUST over night, sorry to crash the site haha not my intentions!

3 hours ago, RYU AZUKU99 said:

I am getting an "Application Error" screen on kerbalx.com

Just wanted to let you know!

Looks like everything's back up and running again

High site traffic today brought it down. Sometimes high traffic isn't a problem, other times (I think depending on where the moon is currently *1) it causes it to run out of memory and crash. The site should automatically pick itself back up when that happens, but it doesn't always, but I've also got a monitoring tool (part of NewRelic), which is pretty cool. It has monitoring points in 8 different countries and each one emails me if it can't ping the site. So I get a storm of emails when things go awry. It pings every 5 minutes so sometimes there can be a few mins between site going down and me getting notification so thanks for posting anyway, sometimes that will beat the monitoring tool.

*1 - I think....not quite sure, but I seems like if there is high traffic with people viewing craft and also couple people posting craft then that causes the problem. Posting craft is slow and locks one thread for the duration of the upload (10-20 seconds on large craft) so the other thread (there's only 2) has to handle all the other requests during that time. Adding more threads would solve it, but that's a costly option. The other option is a bit of a redesign of the upload process so uploads are handled by a background worker (which are like additional threads, but they are on-demand so much less costly). The downside with that is there would be a delay while the upload starts up a background worker. So uploading would take a few seconds longer (but literally just 2-3 seconds) but it would free up the threads handling web requests.  This is something I'm planning to do, it's just quite a bit of work to setup.

Thanks for Kerbalx it seems many find it useful and easy to use. I'm not able to add a picture when trying to upload one of my craft files to Kerbalx. I tried copying and pasting the imgur label in the box and also tried adding (.jpg) to the end of the imgur label once pasted. When i check to see how it is displayed to others I just see the generic picture. Please help I am obviously stupid and need some. 

1 hour ago, bonyetty said:

Thanks for Kerbalx it seems many find it useful and easy to use. I'm not able to add a picture when trying to upload one of my craft files to Kerbalx. I tried copying and pasting the imgur label in the box and also tried adding (.jpg) to the end of the imgur label once pasted. When i check to see how it is displayed to others I just see the generic picture. Please help I am obviously stupid and need some. 

First make sure you've copied the "direct link" from imgur, like this;
vLaLXm8.png?1

On the edit page on KerbalX there is a set of container types at the top of the page, drag the one labeled "image" onto the page and it will open up a dialog where you can paste the image url, then click 'insert image'. That will add a new container with the image inside it and then you can drag that around and resize it. 

You can also add the image manually to an existing container on the page by putting the image url inside "image tags".  For example;

[img=http://i.imgur.com/vLaLXm8.png]

Which would look like this on the page;

8nZfEX7.png

When you click anywhere outside of that container it will change to display the image (assuming the url entered is correct!).

Hope that helps, give me a shout if you're still having issues. 

35 minutes ago, katateochi said:

First make sure you've copied the "direct link" from imgur, like this;
vLaLXm8.png?1

On the edit page on KerbalX there is a set of container types at the top of the page, drag the one labeled "image" onto the page and it will open up a dialog where you can paste the image url, then click 'insert image'. That will add a new container with the image inside it and then you can drag that around and resize it. 

You can also add the image manually to an existing container on the page by putting the image url inside "image tags".  For example;

[img=http://i.imgur.com/vLaLXm8.png]

Which would look like this on the page;

8nZfEX7.png

When you click anywhere outside of that container it will change to display the image (assuming the url entered is correct!).

Hope that helps, give me a shout if you're still having issues. 

Thank you. On my phone at the moment. The direct link ok got ya, I think that was my where my stupidity was at its apoapsis. I will try when home and reply with success or an unlikely failure with your advice. 

Hi katateochi. It appears that imgur is not making the "direct link" easily enough for me to find. I tried a few methods suggested after a google search, like display image in a new tab and tried pasting the URL link into the Kerbalx picture window. I also tried adding "omg=" to the beginning of the URL of the picture tab "http://i.imgur.com/HnNVKoM.png" and also tried putting [ and ] at the start and end also with no success.

Thanks for Kerbalx and your time assisting me. It appears that an email of my craft file that my nephew desires will be the easiest way to give it to him. Without a picture it just doesn't feel right to upload to Kerbalx for me  

Oh some browsing suggests that my use of safari may be over complicating this task for me. :rolleyes: 

Hello @katateochi! First off, amazing work with the website and keeping it running. Thank you for that.

I am having a bit of a problem with it at the moment though where the download doesn't become  a usable craft file, instead spitting out as a generic file on the windows operating system. I'm not sure why that is, since it was working before hand. It could be on my end, I'm not entirely sure. Do you mind giving advice? (or fixing it, if it isn't a problem with me?)

Edit: Seems to be a problem with certain craft. not sure why that is....

Edited by qzgy

1 hour ago, qzgy said:

This one: https://kerbalx.com/PizzaThePanda/Panda-Aerospace-Fury-Mk1-A-BDA

I'm running Nightly Build 56.0a1, 64 Bit on Windows 10

I just tried downloading that craft (in both chrome and firefox 54.0) and it downloaded normally (and loaded into KSP fine).  I've leant my win10 laptop to a friend for a couple days so I don't have a win 10 instance to try it on, but I don't imagine that would be a factor.  Have you got a different browser to hand which you could try? Also can you email me the file that you ended up with (mail it to [email protected]), might shed some light on what's happening. 

Just now, katateochi said:

I just tried downloading that craft (in both chrome and firefox 54.0) and it downloaded normally (and loaded into KSP fine).  I've leant my win10 laptop to a friend for a couple days so I don't have a win 10 instance to try it on, but I don't imagine that would be a factor.  Have you got a different browser to hand which you could try? Also can you email me the file that you ended up with (mail it to [email protected]), might shed some light on what's happening. 

Sure.

Downloading on chrome works fine. So I guess its nightly (dev build of Firefox). Kinda funny though.

Email with resulting file sent.

40 minutes ago, qzgy said:

Email with resulting file sent.

The file you sent me actually looks fine, it just doesn't have the .craft file extension, but when I opened it up in a text editor it's content was correct.  Maybe the FF dev build has a glitch with not adding file extensions?