KerbalX.com - Craft & Mission Sharing

katateochi

• 1 month later...
4 hours ago, DunnoAnyThing said:

Also, does KerbalX detect .config-edited parts as Non-Stock?

Because I get very confused whenever I participate in a challenge wether .config edited ones are 'Stock'.

No, KerbalX does not (currently) detect this. To be able to detect such a thing, KerbalX would have to keep a record of valid stock values and ranges for every possible variable of parts and modules, which would make the scanning prohibitive.

A very simplistic example: it would need to check every LFO fuel tank for the amount of fuel in the tank, against a valid stock max and min value for that specific tank (min too, because some cheats are based on negative values), and then mark as modded anything that had been edited outside of those values. Now do that times every possible variable, for every possible module of a part, and for every possible stock part, times however many parts the craft has. As I understand it, and its impact on the server performance, that would basically freeze up the server while scanning in a craft file for an unacceptable amount of time. Technically possible, maybe; but at a huge coding and performance cost, so not something we can expect anytime soon, if at all.

And to remove any confusion from you or anyone: config editing is the exact same thing as if you made that same change through ModuleManager - in other words, it's a mod, whether automatically recognised or not... the edit is just done by a different method. So for challenge purposes, such a craft would end up in the modded or disqualified pile, depending on the rules.

17 hours ago, DunnoAnyThing said:

Also, does KerbalX detect .config-edited parts as Non-Stock?

Because I get very confused whenever I participate in a challenge wether .config edited ones are 'Stock'.

@swjr-swis answer is right, it's too intensive, both from a computational point of view but also from the point of maintaining all that info. 

In an ideal world I'd say the best thing is; do config tweaks on your own stuff, but don't ever share it because however you do it you've got to share your tweaks along with the craft (and that could result in you running foul of licensing rules). If you really want to share it, move your tweaks into a module manager patch and release it as a mod (and it's really quite easy once you get into it). tbh, even for your own hacking on things I'd really recommend doing them with module manager because it saves you a headache when you get the next release of KSP as your tweaks are isolated from the main game files.

@katateochi I've also experienced the cpu spike when adding tags to uploads, as with my latest. It may or may not be relevant to try uploading a craft without an image, gif or video to see if it still spikes. I always paste image links from imgur for each craft now at the minimum of one image. It's been a while since my last upload too though, and this recent upload is the first time I've experienced it. Good luck!
An update is upon us, though! How are things looking for craft sharing in 1.4?

41 minutes ago, Dark Lion said:

@katateochi I've also experienced the cpu spike when adding tags to uploads, as with my latest. It may or may not be relevant to try uploading a craft without an image, gif or video to see if it still spikes. I always paste image links from imgur for each craft now at the minimum of one image. It's been a while since my last upload too though, and this recent upload is the first time I've experienced it. Good luck!
An update is upon us, though! How are things looking for craft sharing in 1.4?

There's an issue with the dropdown menu for adding #tags (and I've just been super slow at getting to fix it, been moving house and then trying to get other things ready for the DLC release).  I will fix it though!! 
It shouldn't have anything to do with images on the craft page.

Uploading 1.4.0 craft should be a go, although it might initially think the craft is a mod craft, but that will sort itself out when it learns about the new parts (it will figure that out mostly on it's own, but as soon as my horrifically slow net downloads 1.4.0, I'll manually push the new stock part info to it). But upload anyway, even if it marks a stock craft as mod to start with that will get resolved without you having to do anything. 

So I've added a little feature.  On your own craft, you can go to the edit page and click "Download with upgraded parts". This won't change the craft stored on KX, but it will download a version that has the legacy part names updated to their 1.4.0 names. This just applies to the command pod and fuel tanks (I think fairings work fine without a change and I didn't want to mess with the decouplers as they are different sizes so might cause issues).  Once downloaded you do need to load the craft into KSP 1.4.0 and save it so it gets the extra modules added to the parts, then if all is ok, you can upload that and update the craft on KX.

yaUHbOE.pngYFpA6bI.png

->

May not be 100% reliable, but it's worked on everything I've tested it with. Let me know if you find any issues. 

Site Update - 1.3.0 

Just deployed an update which will enable you to share the missions you create in the new DLC!  It's very basic at the moment; missions are parsed for which planets/moons they require you to go to and you can then filter missions based on destinations.  If a mission contains craft you can have those craft posted as separate craft (which will also link to the mission page). Once everyone starts playing with missions we'll get a better idea of what other info might be useful to have. Let me know your thoughts!

The mission pages are very simple for now, but in time they will become the same fully customizable pages that craft have and have all the other trimmings like upvotes, notifications etc. (You can add comments to missions now). Check out the dev_blog for more info.

Big thanks to @UomoCapra for providing me with an example mission and helping me understand how they are structured!

Edited by katateochi

Trying out the new craft update feature, and this seems to work well in terms of getting the parts updated and downloaded in my direction.

Only issue I've had so far, is when I save the craft file in 1.4.1 on my side and then try to drag/drop it back into the Craft EDIT "crash craft here" box at KerbalX...

I get an empty orange popup window/rectangle in it with no text and an "OK" button at right.  I click the OK button and it seems to be scanning the craft but never completes the update?

Edited by XLjedi

41 minutes ago, XLjedi said:

Trying out the new craft update feature, and this seems to work well in terms of getting the parts updated and downloaded in my direction.

Only issue I've had so far, is when I save the craft file in 1.4.1 on my side and then try to drag/drop it back into the Craft EDIT "crash craft here" box at KerbalX...

I get an empty orange popup window/rectangle in it with no text and an "OK" button at right.  I click the OK button and it seems to be scanning the craft but never completes the update?

hmmm, yeah I seem to have broken something. I can see that it's not working, but the why eludes me at this late hour! I shall have a look tomorrow when I've got more awake brain cells. 
In the meanwhile, if you go back to the home page, and upload the craft like it was a new craft, so long as the updated one has the same name, the site will ask you if you want to update the existing one. That will do the same thing but that seems to still be working.

23 hours ago, XLjedi said:

I think I like doing the updates better that way anyway...  didn't realize it would work like that.

That is infact the original way to update your craft, but it turned out that it was a rather hidden feature and I got lots of requests to add a more obvious update craft method. The "new" way on the edit page, just hooks into the original way....and that was why that bit got broken in the last update (as the primary upload panel now has extra logic to deal with missions being dropped on it).  Anyway, I've got a fix for that but i've not deployed it yet. Might just push that fix on it's own, or if the next thing I'm working on is simple then I'll push it with that.....so...prolly the first option!

Now I've got a look at the DLC I realise some changes that need to be made. I wasn't sure if the DLC was going to be included in the main Squad folder or have it's own, but now I see that it basically behaves like a mod. And so KerbalX thinks it's a mod.  So "Stock" craft that use the DLC are currently being classed as mod craft.  That will change, but I don't want to just make them Stock. So there'll be Stock, Stock+ and Mod.

That's what I'm working on right now and once that's done the existing DLC based craft will get re-classified as Stock+. 

Attempting to upload a mission fails when I'm dragging it over:

UjpNjSN.png

Am i doing something wrong?

if you want to analyze the mission and see what you need to add, I put a little bit of work into this one. You can auto-gen thumbnails from the "<mission>/Banners/Menu" folder for example (and ignore any that are titled default)

Edited by Lupi

@Lupi a couple other people have reported this issue and I'm looking into it.  I hope to have a fix out soon (along with another set of fixes to help with the DLC). 

Bit of a hair on fire situation for me at present as I only had one example mission file to work off before the DLC release, so there's quite a lot that I didn't account for! Keep the issue reports coming in and any suggestions to improve the mission hosting feature.

One assumption I had was that missions that would be posted would be "fresh" missions....in other words ones that hadn't been started yet. but now I see that it could be possible to post missions that are in progress or complete.  So what I was thinking is that if you try and post a mission that is complete, then rather than posting it as a sharable mission it just reads out the scores and creates a leader board for each mission.  Not totally sure how that would work yet, but would that be something you guys would like?

2 minutes ago, katateochi said:

@Lupi a couple other people have reported this issue and I'm looking into it.  I hope to have a fix out soon (along with another set of fixes to help with the DLC). 

Bit of a hair on fire situation for me at present as I only had one example mission file to work off before the DLC release, so there's quite a lot that I didn't account for! Keep the issue reports coming in and any suggestions to improve the mission hosting feature.

One assumption I had was that missions that would be posted would be "fresh" missions....in other words ones that hadn't been started yet. but now I see that it could be possible to post missions that are in progress or complete.  So what I was thinking is that if you try and post a mission that is complete, then rather than posting it as a sharable mission it just reads out the scores and creates a leader board for each mission.  Not totally sure how that would work yet, but would that be something you guys would like?

If my mission file can help you dissect what the mission builder does, feel free to make full use of it!

I think it would be wise to keep with exported missions, and let people just comment their scores either on the post, or on the forum thread for said mission. Maybe down the line, a "submit score" option for registered users on the mission's page, where you submit your final persistent.sfs after hitting 'save and quit"

Site update

A couple of fixes for mission hosting. Hope that solves some problems! 
Main change is that craft that use DLC parts are classed as Stock+ or Mod+ and you can filter for craft based on whether they use DLC parts 

@Johnster2222 and everyone else having issues uploading missions:

I think I've found the problem....Windows!! Windows uploads the file with a slightly different mime type to what I was expecting ("application/zip", whereas windows uses "application/x-zip-compressed") so the site wasn't recognising it as a zip and was therefore trying to handle it as a craft upload.
I've added the other mime type now so please try uploading your missions again and let me know if it works.

Realizing you have more important things to do at the moment with the mission uploads and all...

How difficult would it be to create a script that converts the 1.4.1 craft files back to 1.3.1?

If it's not something that can be done relatively quickly (a reversal of your 1.4 craft converter) then I would say disregard.

3 hours ago, KerbolExplorer said:

When i try uploading a misión it says i cant upload any more files

Are you trying to upload the mission as a folder or as a zip containing the mission folder?  Missions need to be uploaded as a single zip file.

30 minutes ago, XLjedi said:

Realizing you have more important things to do at the moment with the mission uploads and all...

How difficult would it be to create a script that converts the 1.4.1 craft files back to 1.3.1?

If it's not something that can be done relatively quickly (a reversal of your 1.4 craft converter) then I would say disregard.

Probably just a matter of flipping the list of old_part_name => new_part_name, but I'll need to do some tests to make sure that it works.  Working on another feature right now, but I'll have a look at this once that's done.

57 minutes ago, katateochi said:

Are you trying to upload the mission as a folder or as a zip containing the mission folder?  Missions need to be uploaded as a single zip file.

when i upload the zip with the folder inside.when i try uploading the file itsself nothing happens

28 minutes ago, KerbolExplorer said:

when i upload the zip with the folder inside.when i try uploading the file itsself nothing happens

can you email the mission zip you're trying to upload to [email protected] and I will try to find out what's going wrong. Also let me know which browser and OS you're using.