KerbalX.com - Craft & Mission Sharing

katateochi

4 hours ago, katateochi said:

If that doesn't show you want you expect then let me know which craft you are trying to update and which image you're trying to set as the thumb and I'll have a look.

Yeah, that was the issue... but I tried it again just today and it seemed to work!  

Edited by XLjedi

A couple minor updates today;
@Azimech The new 7 character imgur album ids should now work.  As far as I can tell, imgur album ID's can be 5 chars (the old way) or 7 chars for new albums.  If anyone spots a wild 6 char album ID let me know and I'll allow that too. Sorry that took a while, I'll be honest....I forgot about it!
@Kerbalwerks I have had a look at adding Vimeo support and....it's a bit awkward.  I can add an iframe to contain the vid just like I do for youtube and twitch vids, but the vimeo vids come with more padding for social media related stuff and it breaks the page saving functionality.  I also can't customize the vid layout and remove any of the things that might be causing the issues, I can't even make them resize to fit the container nicely.  There is probably a better way, but I need to spend some more time digging around. So sorry, not got that working yet.

Somewhat late to the party but...."We've updated our Privacy Policy"....yay...basically nothing is any different to how it was before. KX doesn't store any personal information aside from what's needed to enable your login and that info will never be sold to 3rd parties. Honestly, it's very basic, but I think it covers the main points - https://kerbalx.com/privacy

Sad day today; first case of a really abusive user, but they've now been erased (or at least their account has).  Just a reminder; I really rely on you guys to report bad things.  I do my best to review content but there is too much to check everything (especially comments). Report things and then I can deal with them.  In most cases all that needed is a reminder to keep it civil/family friendly, but if someone really steps over the racist/hateful/abusive line as happened today, I will just nuke that account, without warning. There is  zero tolerance for that nonsense! 
But on the positive side, KerbalX has been running for nearly four years and this is the first case of someone being really nasty, on a website...in a gaming community...that's gotta be some kinda record and says a lot about the KSP community! You guys (apart from that one) are awesome!! 

29 minutes ago, Azimech said:

Thanks @katateochi!

Yeah, I got a comment from someone with a rather offensive username. I see the comment is gone. Good riddance.

Agreed. I did not have an all-out offensive comment, but a very weird one with implied bad language. I see it is also gone, so I assume I was visited by the same.  But as you said @kataeochi, it seems pretty rare around Kerbal land. I really enjoy how generally polite and encouraging these forums are.

Thanks for checking Katateochi sounds like vimeo makes things difficult <shrug>  I would give the whole idea a thumbs down then.

On a side note I have not seen too many offensive comments at Kerbalx, which tells me it is a great group or you are very busy cleaning things up, I guess it could be both     :)  anyway great job again, site still looks and works beautiful.

On 6/9/2018 at 1:46 PM, XLjedi said:

On a side note... is there anything you can do to prevent that stupid red net neutrality popup from appearing at load?  It's particularly irritating on handheld devices.

The banner is gone now. Sorry (not sorry) for the annoyance, but it was kinda meant to be annoying. Sadly the efforts were in vain.

2 hours ago, katateochi said:

The banner is gone now. Sorry (not sorry) for the annoyance, but it was kinda meant to be annoying. Sadly the efforts were in vain.

Don't worry... if the end result is half as annoying as that banner, people won't stand for it for too long.  

6 hours ago, katateochi said:

I signed the petition for non-US citizens, but the banner kept popping up, so I used Adblocker to make it disappear.

• 2 weeks later...
24 minutes ago, Klapaucius said:

I finally installed the KerbalX mod. It's brilliant!

Excellent!....but the KXMod is so last year ;) try Craft Manager instead, it does everything the KXMod does and replaces the stock craft list in the VAB/SPH, adding search, sort, tagging etc

27 minutes ago, Klapaucius said:

Question, if I update a craft, do the folks who downloaded it get a notification?

It won't notify someone who's just downloaded it (I thought that would result in folk getting bombarded with notifications) but it will notify people who follow you.

17 minutes ago, katateochi said:

Excellent!....but the KXMod is so last year ;) try Craft Manager instead, it does everything the KXMod does and replaces the stock craft list in the VAB/SPH, adding search, sort, tagging etc

Yeah, Craft Manager''s what I meant. I was having issues with mods, but finally installed CKAN, which has made life SO easy. So I grabbed yours from the list.  

Now with the Steam Workshop up and running, some of my friends had a debate on what T2 or Squad's next move would be.
Many "if..."s were suggested, but since there's no better way than asking the maintainer, it seems that this is the right place to ask!

1. KerbalX/SteamWorkshop integration?
-KerbalX gets function to directly upload to SteamWorkshop instead of KerbalX.com or vice versa.

2. T2 blocks(or, in one of my friends' words, 'purchase') KerbalX
-since the functionality might be claimed as 'identical to' the Workshop(though actually it isn't), they might want to shut it down or instead turn it into something that steam supports

3. Steam Workshop gets (over time) most of the features that currently only KerbalX has
-I'm not sure if you( @katateochi ) can predict what will happen, but some(but not all) say that it might be just copied away(since the source is open).

I don't think that any of this will happen, but it's better asked than kept to myself;)

1 hour ago, DunnoAnyThing said:

Now with the Steam Workshop up and running, some of my friends had a debate on what T2 or Squad's next move would be.
Many "if..."s were suggested, but since there's no better way than asking the maintainer, it seems that this is the right place to ask!

1. KerbalX/SteamWorkshop integration?
-KerbalX gets function to directly upload to SteamWorkshop instead of KerbalX.com or vice versa.

2. T2 blocks(or, in one of my friends' words, 'purchase') KerbalX
-since the functionality might be claimed as 'identical to' the Workshop(though actually it isn't), they might want to shut it down or instead turn it into something that steam supports

3. Steam Workshop gets (over time) most of the features that currently only KerbalX has
-I'm not sure if you( @katateochi ) can predict what will happen, but some(but not all) say that it might be just copied away(since the source is open).

I don't think that any of this will happen, but it's better asked than kept to myself;)

KerbalX is such a good site. It is very well setup, very logical and so easy to use. Its a first rate job.  And the integrated MOD  is stellar.  As a user, I can think of no reason to move or even double post on Squad.  @katateochi has earned my loyalty.

1 hour ago, Klapaucius said:

KerbalX is such a good site. It is very well setup, very logical and so easy to use. Its a first rate job.  And the integrated MOD  is stellar.  As a user, I can think of no reason to move or even double post on Squad.  @katateochi has earned my loyalty.

QFT!

3 hours ago, Klapaucius said:

I totally agree, but sadly many people just think 'Oh, Steam supports it? It'd be great!'

I was just on KerbalX looking at my craft page and noticed when I checked the actions tab that it says in small print on the bottom, "Action groups are not read from the craft file." What does that mean?  Have my action groups not been uploaded?

Just now, Klapaucius said:

I was just on KerbalX looking at my craft page and noticed when I checked the actions tab that it says in small print on the bottom, "Action groups are not read from the craft file." What does that mean?  Have my action groups not been uploaded?

Your action groups on the craft will be just as you set them for anyone downloading the craft. What that bit means (although now you point this out I can see it's a bit poorly worded) is that a human readable description of what each action group does isn't read from the craft file. KX reads various things like crew count, part count, mass, etc from the craft file when you upload it, but although I can see what parts are assigned to action groups, it's almost impossible to convert that into a meaningful human-friendly bit of text, so it's best to just add the description of each action group manually. (There was a part B9 info drive, don't know if that's even a thing anymore, that let you enter action group descriptions into the part so you could read them ingame, and if a craft had that parts KX would take the descriptions from it).

(I love KerbalX and thank you very much!  Really great to learn from others and to share.)

All the Markdown documentation including the github doc says use a blank line to get a paragraph.  Makes sense.  Doesn't work.

I'm missing the trick to get this to happen.  (Take a look at any of my craft or this in particular: https://kerbalx.com/Hotel26/NerfJet-G20-N)

Sorry if the answer to this is obvious but I'm just not seeing it.  [I'm on a Linux system but don't think Windows works any better.  I'm using Firefox as well.]

1 hour ago, Hotel26 said:

All the Markdown documentation including the github doc says use a blank line to get a paragraph.  Makes sense.  Doesn't work.

Yeah, I've noticed that the KerbalX textboxes don't allow CRLF to be interpreted as a line separator for paragraphs.  ...or there is some deliberate blank line clean-up activity going on.  It's annoying; and the only way I've been able to get any sort of control over it is to enter new paragraphs in new textboxes.  Which I would prefer not to do.  

So will watch this one meselfs to see if I've been missing something. 

Edited by XLjedi

1 hour ago, Hotel26 said:

I'm missing the trick to get this to happen.

15 minutes ago, XLjedi said:

Yeah, I've noticed that the KerbalX textboxes don't allow CRLF to be interpreted as a line separator for paragraphs.  ...or there is some deliberate blank line clean-up activity going on.

The text box widget seems to present text in the same way basic HTML does: it completely condenses all whitespace, which includes CRLF and empty lines.

The way I have been working around this is by placing a line with just a single period by itself. The period is almost invisible, and you get nicely separated paragraphs.

Cave at: the single period does have some strange interaction when directly preceding or following a bullet list: it will prevent the list from showing as bullet points, skip the paragraph (and line, sometimes) separation, or both. Extra workaround in that case: add an extra empty line between the single period line and the bullet list.

23 hours ago, Hotel26 said:

I'm missing the trick to get this to happen.

21 hours ago, XLjedi said:

I've noticed that the KerbalX textboxes don't allow CRLF to be interpreted as a line separator for paragraphs

21 hours ago, swjr-swis said:

The way I have been working around this is by placing a line with just a single period by itself

There is a trick, and now I think about it, it's not that obvious (I've just been using RedCarpet for markdown for so long it's just innate, so I didn't think to explain it).

The trick is ending the line before the new paragraph with 2 spaces.
"some words. [newline char]next sentence." - will produce:
some words.
next sentence.
where as "some words.  [newline char]next sentence." will produce:
some words.

next sentence.

The only difference is having two spaces after "some words."  
The 2 space thing is also important when putting a bullet point list directly after another sentence. make sure the sentence before the bullet point list ends in 2 spaces.

Hope that helps! I'll try to add an explanation of that into the markdown help when I get a mo.

Parts crafted using Module Manager?

I uploaded a few space planes I built with Explodium Breathing Engines to Kerbal X a while back. Kerbal X doesn't recognize the modded parts, and neither does the Part Mapper tool. But I tried Craft Manager and the stand-alone Kerbal X plugin in KSP and now the parts are recognized.

Only the modded parts are listed as belonging to "Squad." I think this is an artifact of the parts being clones of stock parts, with the part path being unchanged. And the cost and mass of these parts isn't being included in the totals.

Craft affected by this: Razorforce Seven, Big-OX 2, and Weird Craft. Compare to Big-OX, which has not yet been updated via the Kerbal X plugin.

Is there some way I can make my parts distinct from Squad parts in Kerbal X without converting the part configurations into non-Module Manager versions? My worry is, since they are clones of stock parts, I'd run afoul of copyright by outright copy/pasting the majority of a part configuration file and only changing a few lines.

[parentUrl stuff] Since these are clones of stock parts with some lines changed, the parentUrl doesn't change from Squad, which explains a lot. If I can find a way to edit this in Module Manager for each of my parts, that could work. But there doesn't seem to be an obvious way to change the resulting parentUrl in a Module Manager part patch.

Edited by Gordon Fecyk

2 hours ago, Gordon Fecyk said:

Is there some way I can make my parts distinct from Squad parts in Kerbal X without converting the part configurations into non-Module Manager versions?

This is what I call a "partless mod" and like with mods such as tweakscale, dck, etc I can add a rule into the KX mod detector that checks for a specific module/values being present in a part.  If you can let me know what changes (that are unique to your mod) are made to a part in the craft file then I can see about adding a rule to detect that.

1 hour ago, katateochi said:

If you can let me know what changes (that are unique to your mod) are made to a part in the craft file then I can see about adding a rule to detect that.

Thanks, that'll help. I wasn't so much asking for Kerbal X to change, but what should I change to accommodate Kerbal X. I also need to consider Steam craft sharing.

I need to do additional research, I think.