KerbalX.com - Craft & Mission Sharing

katateochi

I saw this comment from @XLjedi https://kerbalx.com/XLjedi 

Your upvotes help a lot and are most appreciated!  I came a bit late to the game and it can be difficult to get noticed when craft files drop off the download radar after a month. Your up-votes do help in this respect and are probably the biggest incentive for me to want to post another craft.

I feel the same. There are so many craft, and sometimes some really great stuff gets lost in the shuffle.  The other night a spent a fair bit of time scrolling through pages, but no-one is going to go through all 20,000+ files.  What about a section on top of the page that hightlights 4 randomly chosen craft from all the files going back to the beginning?  It would change every time someone reloads the page.   It would just mix things up a bit.

As always, just a thought. The site is amazing and I honestly do think a lot of folks could learn some page design from you.  I really appreciate the time you have put into it; I think being able to share on KerbalX is half my motivation for playing KSP and building stuff.

On 7/5/2018 at 10:17 AM, katateochi said:

There is a trick, and now I think about it, it's not that obvious (I've just been using RedCarpet for markdown for so long it's just innate, so I didn't think to explain it).

Uh… Kerbal-X accepts Markdown on the `.craft` file? :)

I need to pay more attention on some details. Damn, I was editing the description on the site after uploading. :blush:

On 7/15/2018 at 10:59 AM, Klapaucius said:

There are so many craft, and sometimes some really great stuff gets lost in the shuffle.  The other night a spent a fair bit of time scrolling through pages, but no-one is going to go through all 20,000+ files.  What about a section on top of the page that hightlights 4 randomly chosen craft from all the files going back to the beginning? 

A sort of "I'm feeling lucky" type thing. I'll see what I can do (might be more tricky than just a sort_by{rand}, because of the cunningtm  page caching that goes on which does operate on the assumption of sequentially loading the results from a search query).

Have you tried using the other "sort by" filters? One way I quite like for browsing is to sort it by "popularity" and limiting the results to just the last week or month.
oSsmKI1.png (and right now that pulls up a sweet SSTO at No 2 ;) )

and if you click the + button on the right you get a whole load more "sort by" filters
ZeJIuTS.png

"popularity" is a score that blends download count, view count and votes weighted so that votes are more significant.
This is the weighting for popularity -  download_count*1.2 + view_count*0.1 + vote_count*5

And by limiting the time range you get a different selection. (There was something a bit odd that happened with the scores for some early craft which has put them orbits above everything else when sorted by popularity for all time).
Another way to mix it up and get more relevant results is to use the KSP version filter in conjunction with the "sort by" and time range filters: ie this, which will show the "best" 1.4.4 craft (and gets around the issue of those early craft that got overly high scores). 
Gu9NNT3.png

You can select multiple KSP versions, so you could select everything between 1.4.0 and 1.4.4.  And of course you can then invert the results and see the craft which didn't get any love and go give them some!

Edit - oh and don't forget to chuck in the craft type filter too

1 hour ago, Lisias said:

Uh… Kerbal-X accepts Markdown on the `.craft` file? :)

I need to pay more attention on some details. Damn, I was editing the description on the site after uploading. :blush:

um....you know what...it was so long ago I made that bit I can't remember if that does actually work.  Could you try it out and let me know, just put some basic markdown syntax in the craft description and see if the site picks it up.  I think it might not work though, all the text goes through the markdown processor, but adding in the craft's description is in itself a custom markdown ([description] gets replaced with the craft description). So the description text may not get processed for standard markdown syntax, depends on which order things happen.  
If it doesn't work I'll change it so it does, cos that would just be logical!

Edited by katateochi

@katateochi  Thanks for the detailed response. I have played a bunch with the sort. I suppose what would really be great is to get a thread going here where folks head to KerbalX, find a craft someone else has uploaded and write a bit about it.  We have craft share threads and the like, but it would be nice if we spent more time flying around and writing about each other''s creations.  I can think of a few planes I have found that have few downloads and are really spectacular. 

I tried to get a thread going a while back ago on that idea, but I think I am too new and don't have enough posts under my belt yet to get momentum going.

4 hours ago, Klapaucius said:

I tried to get a thread going a while back ago on that idea, but I think I am too new and don't have enough posts under my belt yet to get momentum going.

I'll have to scan thru your posts now and see if I can find it...  From a look at your recent activity, you do seem to post some interesting challenges and so forth.  I will have to follow your activity now as posts to this forum also tend to go pretty unnoticed.  It's not exactly my favorite forum software.

4 hours ago, XLjedi said:

I'll have to scan thru your posts now and see if I can find it...  From a look at your recent activity, you do seem to post some interesting challenges and so forth.  I will have to follow your activity now as posts to this forum also tend to go pretty unnoticed.  It's not exactly my favorite forum software.

Yeah, I also had a race I spent a bunch of time working out that never went anywhere. Which is okay, but then the river race did really well.  I was hoping in light of the river race that it would be rediscovered.  I did message the person about doing a race series, but never heard back.  Perhaps it needs some work.

Edited by Klapaucius

22 hours ago, katateochi said:

um....you know what...it was so long ago I made that bit I can't remember if that does actually work.  Could you try it out and let me know, just put some basic markdown syntax in the craft description and see if the site picks it up.  I think it might not work though, […] If it doesn't work I'll change it so it does, cos that would just be logical!

Well, it works, but not for all marks. This is what I typed in KSP:

**This** is a simple _test_  to *check* MarkDown support.

This craft:
1. Fly
1. Land (most of the time)
1. Eats fuel as it was candy

More info about this test [here](https://forum.kerbalspaceprogram.com/index.php?/topic/84389-kerbalxcom-craft-mission-sharing/&page=43&tab=comments#comment-3418431 "Craft Manager on KSP Forum")

- - -
  "Be kind, rewind"

You can see the results here:

https://kerbalx.com/Lisias/Hovercraft-Jet

On 7/20/2018 at 10:07 AM, Lisias said:

Well, it works, but not for all marks. This is what I typed in KSP:

Thanks for doing that. Looks like it picked up all the marks, except the bullet points, but that might be a different syntax, I expect this to be interpreted as a list;

* this point
* that point

2 hours ago, katateochi said:

Thanks for doing that. Looks like it picked up all the marks, except the bullet points, but that might be a different syntax, I expect this to be interpreted as a list;

* this point
* that point

I tried again:

**This** is a simple _test_  to *check* MarkDown support.
This craft:

* Fly
* Land (most of the time)

And also:

1. Crashes a lot
2. Scares out the *sheet* of Tourists

More info about this test [here](https://forum.kerbalspaceprogram.com/index.php?/topic/84389-kerbalxcom-craft-mission-sharing/&do=findComment&comment=3419521)

```
Be kind, rewind.
```
- - -

https://kerbalx.com/Lisias/Hovercraft-Jet

I forgot something important: lists (bulleted or numbered) must have a empty line between the last non-list text and the first non-list one. :) So, yes. Its working.

May I make a suggestion? A escape sequence for "//" on URLs. This sequence of chars are Remarks on CFG syntax, and the rest of the Description is discarded next time the data is read from the file (besides being OK until there).

Edited by Lisias
test results

• 2 months later...
  • 2 months later...

Hello @katateochi,

I got this error this morning and it froze up my game. No big deal, but I was wondering what might have triggered it.  BTW: I was revisiting the basic tutorials now that I know the game better to see how they would work for teaching kids (and to do my own docking practice which I still cannot do), , so I had just exited out of that. So, not sure if being in that area is relevant or not.

1taZXZl.png

@Klapaucius that looks like the site had crashed and was in the process of restarting, and at the same time the KerbalX mod tried to login and hit a timeout error.  So bad timing really, I'd guess you won't see that error again (unless the same set of events happen), but let me know if it happens again.

Just as a heads up for everyone using the previous versions of Craft Manager and KerbalX.  There are new versions out (but I've not updated the forum threads yet) and you will need to upgrade to the latest versions by the end of the year. After 2019-01-01 the previous versions won't be compatible. Over the next few days if you're on the previous versions you will get a message saying that you need to upgrade. (and I really need to update the forum threads!).  

• 5 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Hi @katateochi

Just had a thought: On the same page as your original craft, let people post different versions of said craft, as opposed to re-listing it as a new craft, thought it would be good to upload a low count craft and then a highly detailed version for the people with super computers. I have different versions of several craft that have not been uploaded for not wanting to spam the profile page with what seems to be the same one.

My one cent for the month, thanks you for your work. <S>

@Torn4dO hey, sorry for the slow reply, the hols have left me with a huge backlog of work and I've slipped on paying attention to the forums.
Yeah i'll increase the limit. won't be for a day or two, but I'll let you know when I've done it.  Sorry again for the slow reply.

@Kerbalwerks This is actually one of features I most want to add, but it's a little complicated and currently on hold. But I do intend to add it.  I want to have it so that, like you've suggested, you can post variations of the same design, post new versions and keep the old versions, ie: post a 1.5.x craft then post it for 1.6.x and promote the 1.6.x version to be the primary, but still keep the 1.5.x there as part of the same page.  And the other thing I'd like to do is enable other users to post a modified version of your craft and, sort of like a github pull request, request that you accept their version to be added to the sub versions of your craft.

Right now what I'm working on is overhauling the moderation interface as KerbalX now has a moderation team! There's 6 of us now, and the current interface for moderators is clunky and lacking some functionality. So that's a change that most of you won't see, but it's still an important one.  Once that's out of the way I may have more time to add more interesting features! 

2 hours ago, katateochi said:

@Kerbalwerks This is actually one of features I most want to add, but it's a little complicated and currently on hold. But I do intend to add it.  I want to have it so that, like you've suggested, you can post variations of the same design, post new versions and keep the old versions, ie: post a 1.5.x craft then post it for 1.6.x and promote the 1.6.x version to be the primary, but still keep the 1.5.x there as part of the same page.  And the other thing I'd like to do is enable other users to post a modified version of your craft and, sort of like a github pull request, request that you accept their version to be added to the sub versions of your craft.

This sounds very cool.

• 3 weeks later...
On 1/20/2019 at 8:05 AM, Kerbalwerks said:

@katateochi

Just had a thought: On the same page as your original craft, let people post different versions of said craft, as opposed to re-listing it as a new craft, thought it would be good to upload a low count craft and then a highly detailed version for the people with super computers. I have different versions of several craft that have not been uploaded for not wanting to spam the profile page with what seems to be the same one.

Variant craft linked to the original craft would be great -- although at what point would it cease being a variant and be an entirely new craft. Of course that distinction might be something that is simply decided by the builder and isn't hard-coded as a limitation.

• 2 weeks later...
50 minutes ago, EdwardB3020 said:

Can you change my KerbalX username to Dove Agency please?

Head over to your settings on KerbalX (https://kerbalx.com/settings) and there you can change your username. Note: Changing your username will change the urls of any craft you've already uploaded (so if you've shared those urls in the past they'll no longer work).
Also you can't have a space in your username, but you could change it to 'DoveAgency' or 'Dove_Agency' 
FYI: I won't make changes to a user's account for them, unless you send me a support email request (to [email protected]from the email account that was used to register on KerbalX (otherwise I can't verify account ownership).

Edited by katateochi

Hi Katateochi, I really like your website. There is one bug I have to report though. For some reason whenever I play with the mod installed and I open the Ui menu, it tells me that 'I haven't got any crafts yet,' even though when I play without the mod I can see all of my crafts!

The Download Queue is still fully functional.

15 hours ago, Salmon said:

Hi Katateochi, I really like your website. There is one bug I have to report though. For some reason whenever I play with the mod installed and I open the Ui menu, it tells me that 'I haven't got any crafts yet,' even though when I play without the mod I can see all of my crafts!

The Download Queue is still fully functional.

Hi Salmon, (Welcome to the forums!) 
First Q is which mod, the (older) KerbalX Mod or CraftManager 
Next thing is can you do the following; start KSP, go to your save and go into the VAB or SPH, open the mod and then close it again, and then quit the game.  Then go into your KSP install folder and find the KSP.log file and then either mail it to [email protected] or put it on a file share and post the link here.
It might also help if you could zip up your whole save folder (<KSP install dir>/saves/<your save>) and mail/share that too (I'm wondering if maybe there's a craft with a weird character in the name that might be causing the issue).

Ah, I think I might know the problem - I'm using both mods! That might be the problem, but I'll have to check, since I have using them together for a significant amount of time now and I have only just run into this problem. I'll get back with KSP.log and save file soon (if using just one mod doesn't make a difference).

Edited by Salmon
I got confused and part of what I said was outdated. The Original is still visible underneath the strikethrough(s).

I noticed a quite annoying thing, maybe even a bug when I was making custom thumbnails:
All thumnails are zoomed in on the homepage, which ruins custom thumbnails if you are unaware of that bug/feature.
If possible please remove this feature if it is one or try to fix the bug that causes it.

Thanks

-HB Stratos