KerbalX.com - Craft & Mission Sharing

katateochi

On 8/22/2019 at 3:13 AM, katateochi said:

I'm going to try and make contact with the folks at Star Theory Games and see if they will be open to working with me. The best outcome would be to get tighter integration between the game and KerbalX, but at the very least if they'd be up for bringing me under NDA so I could get a look at some craft files before it's released that would be great.  I shall see what I can arrange.   Their website doesn't provide much in the way of contact details, so if anyone knows who I can contact that would be helpful.

I don't see any harm in throwing a message to one of the moderators if you need to start networking, provided the request is framed correctly for what you are trying to achieve.  In fact @Snark is a moderator AND he was invited to conduct an interview with Star Theory recently at Pax West.  That's probably a good start to "put some feelers out" to see what options could be available to you.  Good luck. :)

Edited by Raptor9

On 8/22/2019 at 4:13 AM, katateochi said:

I'm going to try and make contact with the folks at Star Theory Games and see if they will be open to working with me. The best outcome would be to get tighter integration between the game and KerbalX, but at the very least if they'd be up for bringing me under NDA so I could get a look at some craft files before it's released that would be great.  I shall see what I can arrange.   Their website doesn't provide much in the way of contact details, so if anyone knows who I can contact that would be helpful.

7 hours ago, Raptor9 said:

I don't see any harm in throwing a message to one of the moderators if you need to start networking, provided the request is framed correctly for what you are trying to achieve.  In fact @Snark is a moderator AND he was invited to conduct an interview with Star Theory recently at Pax West.  That's probably a good start to "put some feelers out" to see what options could be available to you.  Good luck. :)

So, if their website is scarce with contact information at the moment, that may simply be that they're not really ready to be contacted yet (just guessing, I don't actually know that).  It's worth noting that when I interviewed Nate Simpson at PAX, I asked this:

On 8/30/2019 at 8:38 PM, Snark said:
  • Q:  When will Star Theory people start engaging with players in the KSP forums (e.g. to answer questions, get feedback, etc.)?
  • A:  Don't know an exact date, but Soon™.

KSP 2 release is spring 2020, i.e. still over half a year out, so it's early days yet.  My guess is that they probably haven't even finalized the craft format yet (which is my read of the fact that they tend to respond with "no comment" so far about their file formats).

So, putting that all together, my guess would be that, 1. it's still too early to ask this question, and 2. they'll be available here in the forums "soon", which ought to be in plenty of time to ask them then.

That's my take on it, anyway.

• 2 weeks later...

I just uploaded a new craft and did it via the spaceplane hangar, typing the description in there. However, once uploaded, I noticed a typo.  However, when I click on the text box to edit the text, all the text vanishes other than a bit of code: ####Description [description].

Craft link is here.

https://kerbalx.com/Klapaucius/Stanislaw-Mk-II

Cheers :)

The tag [description] is substituted by the contents of the in-game craft description field. So like Val said, edit the description in-game, re-upload, and that typo will be fixed.

Alternatively, if you wish to have more control over the description used on the KX page, you can remove the tag and replace it by your own text of choice. I do this often because I try to keep the in-game descriptions short and format it for readability in the game, which is usually not so good for the KX page.

• 2 weeks later...

I noticed that on my heavily modded version of ksp aircraft that I downloaded lost their presets for aerosurfaces, like if pitch yaw or roll was disabled. On my stock version of kerbal I dont have this issue, do you have any idea what could be causing this? Just curious.

• 3 weeks later...

Hi Everyone....So I've been a bit inactive last 3 weeks. I broke my leg (got kicked by a cow, you know, as you do), which was, yeah painful but not intolerable, but then I developed a blot clot in my leg and omg the pain.  So I've been in bed on heavy painkillers for the last two weeks. But I'm gonna start getting back into things and I'll try to catch up and answer some of the Qs raised above before too long.

2 hours ago, katateochi said:

Hi Everyone....So I've been a bit inactive last 3 weeks. I broke my leg (got kicked by a cow, you know, as you do), which was, yeah painful but not intolerable, but then I developed a blot clot in my leg and omg the pain.  So I've been in bed on heavy painkillers for the last two weeks. But I'm gonna start getting back into things and I'll try to catch up and answer some of the Qs raised above before too long.

Oh my, sorry to hear about that man. Glad to hear things are getting on the up swing now.

11 hours ago, katateochi said:

Hi Everyone....So I've been a bit inactive last 3 weeks. I broke my leg (got kicked by a cow, you know, as you do), which was, yeah painful but not intolerable, but then I developed a blot clot in my leg and omg the pain.

Best wishes and hope you make a full recovery :kiss:

On 10/14/2019 at 1:23 PM, katateochi said:

35 minutes ago, Raptor9 said:

@katateochi, that does sound painful for sure.  Take care of yourself first, but don't enjoy those pain meds too much. :wink: I hope you kicked the cow back.

I'm going to get a burger tonight for dinner just to show them who's boss!

On 10/20/2019 at 4:16 PM, VoidSquid said:

Hey @katateochi
I'd assume this has been mentioned before, has it?
In the Craft Manager mod it reads satelites instead of satellites.

curse my dyslexia!
nope not noted before! I'll change that in the next release. 

note: When that release comes out, and you update CM, it won't fix it in existing saves (as it becomes a setting in your save folder). 
But (and you can do this right away), you can right click on that tag and rename it.
For now you can rename that tag in your existing saves (either via the UI or edit the craft.tags file in your save folder).
You can also go into the CraftManager folder in GameData and edit default.tags file and change it in there too, then any new saves won't inherit the misspelled tag.

• 3 weeks later...
20 hours ago, HB Stratos said:

Back in action!

If you ever see errors that reference "CloudFlare" then that means that for some reason (there's a few things that cause this) you're not able to reach the KerbalX server. Usually it means the KX server has crashed, in which case it will bring itself back up in a few minutes. Sometimes it can mean an issue with the CloudFlare network in your geographical area (and that's out of my control, only thing to do is wait, but usually not too long).

All looks ok now!

• 1 month later...

There are things other than craft that I'd like to share on KerbalX. Namely, mission flags and custom parts categories, which I use instead of the default parts tabs to organize things better.

I'd like to suggest the ability to share these from the site (there's literally no place to share custom categories anywhere).

Edited by jjansen
posted twice inline somehow

• 3 weeks later...

KerbalX is one of the Seven Great Wonders of KSP.  It binds the community by encouraging sharing, rewarding creativity and providing an encyclopedia of techniques as well as enjoyment of the work of others.

There is already a mechanism for defending against the issues of plagiarism and offensive speech.  (Report Craft! and Report message.)

But I don't see a use case for down-voting and I cite that the KSP Forum itself allows positive feedback but not negative.  Furthermore, down-voting in KerbalX is anonymous which encourages cowardly behavior.

I don't see any benefits.

On the other hand, I don't care about points.  Furthermore, any public, anonymous interaction is inevitably going to be subject to the rotten side of human nature.

So no complaint from me.  I just question what indispensible benefits down-providing provides?

Consider this, then, merely a Down-vote for down-voting.

Edited by Hotel26

4 hours ago, Hotel26 said:

So no complaint from me.  I just question what indispensible benefits down-providing provides?

Consider this, then, merely a Down-vote for down-voting.

As one of the site's moderators, let me reply to this.

The general sentiment in the KerbalX development and moderation team is much as you word it here, there being only one person of a differing opinion (*). The good news for you and all sharing this sentiment: @katateochi has considered the matter and has stated he's started working on adapting the site to remove this aspect of it. There is no ETA on this; it is not a trivial change, development time is at a premium. It'll be done when it's done, but it has been set in motion and it is coming.

(*: I am, incidentally, that one dissenter. I think the whole voting system, regardless of its implementation, doesn't really offer as much, as accurate, or as valuable a form of feedback as people think it does, and that it should be removed entirely. On the other hand I am of the opinion that if one is to implement any kind of voting system at all, crippling it by removing half of the possible scoring spectrum only serves to further devaluate and ambiguate the little information that might be conveyed from it. We already have the option to comment in text, allowing very nuanced feedback and/or criticism, in one and the same comment if need be. The site also tells us how many views and downloads our craft have had individually, and how many other subscribers follow us as a designer. All in all that permits a much more meaningful evaluation of how our shared work is perceived than a tally of semi-subconsciously-clicked green arrows - that may be much more indicative of people's personal (dis)like of us, or how active/popular we are on other offsite channels, than of the actual quality/impact of our shared designs.)