KerbalX.com - Craft & Mission Sharing

katateochi

*snipity snip*

Ooh, something new! Tried uploading again and a popup appeared after a few minutes with "Application Error. An error occurred in the application and your page could not be served. Please try again in a few moments".

Ah!! Ok I've seen what's happened now. For some (unknown) reason the upload of your craft had been interrupted and the all important set_attributes_from_file method hadn't been called. That meant that some key info about the craft was not present and that was what caused that Application Error. So I've added a fix (just deployed that now) that should ensure that method gets called, even if the upload gets interrupted. (fyi the upload can be interrupted if you reload the page after dropping a craft on the uploader but before the "scanning craft file" message appears. Now if that happens when you next try to upload a craft and are promoted to resume uploading the previous one, it will correctly pick up from where it left off).

So you should now be able to attempt uploading a craft again, it should then prompt you to finish uploading the previous one and now (with the extra struts in place) it shouldn't blow up anymore!

This has actually been really helpful for me and showed that there was a concepto in the upload logic. sorry its been a pain for you!

It did work though! Suddenly the craft window closed (without reverting my craft upload) and the craft remained in my crafts section (I think it was the Crafts section, could've been my profile, can't recall). Whereas if I had pressed the X button to simply close the window it wouldn't have actually closed it, and pressing cancel would delete the upload. It does make sense that the change in link would only change the "message" come to think of it :P but it did work xD accidentally perhaps, or perhaps just something else happened and that was just a coincidence of sorts.

I deleted/cancelled the craft afterwards because it wasn't actually a new craft, just a test to see if I could update the first one that way.

Either way, great to hear about the craft-update feature coming up :) and hope you get well soon!

Cheers!

Thanks man, feeling much better today!

I think I know why the links action was changed. Depends on how you changed the link, did you copy the link location and paste it into the address bar or did you use a developer console to actually modify the page?

I'm guessing it was the former in which case that would change the HTTP verb from a DELETE to a GET which is why the outcome was different. What url did you end up on after doing that?

If you actually modified the page with a dev console or used something else to construct the request manually, then rails would have considered that as an attempted CSRF attack and would have ignored it.

On the topic of hacking. Had a few attacks over the last couple weeks including a few DOS attempts. none of them where successful, didn't even get passed the first layer, yay!

Anyway, I'm now working on adding craft updating to the site. eta - later this week(ish).

Edited by katateochi

Thanks man, feeling much better today!

I think I know why the links action was changed. Depends on how you changed the link, did you copy the link location and paste it into the address bar or did you use a developer console to actually modify the page?

I'm guessing it was the former in which case that would change the HTTP verb from a DELETE to a GET which is why the outcome was different. What url did you end up on after doing that?

If you actually modified the page with a dev console or used something else to construct the request manually, then rails would have considered that as an attempted CSRF attack and would have ignored it.

On the topic of hacking. Had a few attacks over the last couple weeks including a few DOS attempts. none of them where successful, didn't even get passed the first layer, yay!

Anyway, I'm now working on adding craft updating to the site. eta - later this week(ish).

The link I ended up with was:

kerbalx.com/crafts/craftNumber?message=upload+skipped

... where "Number" was the number of the craft uploaded I believe, but this was a couple days ago and can't remember exactly what was it :P

Only thing I did was whenever I had the craft edit pop-up open, I hovered my mouse over the cancel button to see what the link was, and then with that pop-up still open I went to the address bar, typed in the "cancel" URL, only instead of typing Cancelled I typed Skipped. That's all :) No attacks, no intricate savy stuff that are completely out of my range of knowledge lol (not entirely sure what the developer console even is :P).

Good to hear you're feeling better!

just fyi guys, I'm going to have to take the site down tomorrow for 30mins (hopefully less). I need to upgrade the database capacity on the hosting platform. So from 0-something-hundred hours the site will be down for a bit!

Currently we're on the free database but we're running out of space. Unfortunately this means I'll now be paying a bit to maintain the site (so far costs have just been in domain name reg) but hopefully once I get google ads in place that will cover that cost. But I'm currently having issues with google ad-sense, the stupid google bots think that its a login only site and are refusing to let me set up an ad-sense account. I think I will have to change the login interface a bit to trick the bots into thinking there isn't a login, and then once I've got the account I'll be able to revert that change. If anyone has any experience with ad-sense I could do with some advice!

+katateochi I was thinking about the reason you actually removed the "Skip" feature in the craft edit pop-up, and I was thinking maybe an option in your account's settings could be a good idea. The option would give the user the ability to see more "advanced" features for the page (with the appropriate "warning" next to the advanced setting's checkbox). Within those advanced features you could include the Skip button and perhaps other things, maybe a button to edit something that you may currently have it set so people can't edit it fearing they'll screw something up, or something.

Also a bit of a more complex suggestion would be the ability to simply include full IMGUR albums into one of the editable pockets in your craft pages, kind of like the [imgUR] album tag here at the forums so there's no need to copy each and every one of your images after uploading them some place else.

These are just suggestions though :P It's not the end of the world to not have that Skip button, and copying image links doesn't take that long. It's just little convenience things that would be neat to have :)

Edited by MonaBabii

This has actually been really helpful for me and showed that there was a concepto in the upload logic. sorry its been a pain for you!

No worries, I'm glad I could help out :D

So anyway, I tried to upload it again and same Application Error.. I thought 'oh for..', went to ym profile expecting another 500 error and it was actually uploaded! I clicked on it and it prompted to enter info and pictures and everything which I did. Anyway, came across this after updating it:

ODWu0L6.png

*their

Also, I guess these Mk2 parts are a result of SP+ being stock and it not recognising them as such? I uploaded a new part mapper once I saw this but I don't think the SP+/SPP parts were changed, I just added some more mods that weren't used. No idea why the B9 airbrake, RAPIER, rtg and strutCube aren't being recognised though :/

EDIT: But, now I think of it, it could be related the fact I have Vens Part Revamp installed - is it possibly not recognising parts because of that? Although, the RTG and RAPIER aren't part of Part Revamo (yet) so I don't know..

Edited by ObsessedWithKSP

+katateochi I was thinking about the reason you actually removed the "Skip" feature in the craft edit pop-up, and I was thinking maybe an option in your account's settings could be a good idea. The option would give the user the ability to see more "advanced" features for the page (with the appropriate "warning" next to the advanced setting's checkbox). Within those advanced features you could include the Skip button and perhaps other things, maybe a button to edit something that you may currently have it set so people can't edit it fearing they'll screw something up, or something.

Also a bit of a more complex suggestion would be the ability to simply include full IMGUR albums into one of the editable pockets in your craft pages, kind of like the [imgUR] album tag here at the forums so there's no need to copy each and every one of your images after uploading them some place else.

These are just suggestions though :P It's not the end of the world to not have that Skip button, and copying image links doesn't take that long. It's just little convenience things that would be neat to have :)

Imgur album support is a planned feature and should be pretty easy to implement, just not got to it yet! and yes, I'll use a similar (if not identical) syntax for it as we use here.

Having an user option to enable multiple uploads might be doable, a little complex thou but I shall consider it.

Not sure I understand what you mean about the edit button, but you might be onto something about people not making changes because they're unsure. I plan to add some form of undo functionality, but I need to wait on that till I've refined the edit interface a bit more, so I've got clearer design parameters for it.

No worries, I'm glad I could help out :D

So anyway, I tried to upload it again and same Application Error.. I thought 'oh for..', went to ym profile expecting another 500 error and it was actually uploaded! I clicked on it and it prompted to enter info and pictures and everything which I did. Anyway, came across this after updating it:

http://i.imgur.com/ODWu0L6.png

*their

Also, I guess these Mk2 parts are a result of SP+ being stock and it not recognising them as such? I uploaded a new part mapper once I saw this but I don't think the SP+/SPP parts were changed, I just added some more mods that weren't used. No idea why the B9 airbrake, RAPIER, rtg and strutCube aren't being recognised though :/

EDIT: But, now I think of it, it could be related the fact I have Vens Part Revamp installed - is it possibly not recognising parts because of that? Although, the RTG and RAPIER aren't part of Part Revamo (yet) so I don't know..

Well this craft has really misbehaved itself! It hadn't scanned the file for parts at all! You can force it to rescan a craft that has unrecognised parts if you edit the craft and then hit the "Check for updated Parts" link at the bottom of the page. I've done that for you on this craft and having rescanned the file it is now happy with all parts recognised. http://kerbalx.com/crafts/276

Really not sure why this has been such a problem craft. The only thing I can think is that you happened to be uploading it at the same time as I updated the site, so it did the first part of the upload on the old code, then the site re-started and it was stuck in a state that was invalid for the new code. That's the best reason I can think of for this problem.

If its not too much of a pain, do you think you could try uploading the craft again and seeing if it works smoothly this time. You can leave the current one as is and then after (assuming it worked ok) just delete one of them.

I just tried uploading it to my account and it worked ok (I've now deleted it from my ac), so it should work.

nice one for spotting that typo, my lysdexic brain doesn't see those!

I've done that for you on this craft and having rescanned the file it is now happy with all parts recognised. http://kerbalx.com/crafts/276

Really not sure why this has been such a problem craft. The only thing I can think is that you happened to be uploading it at the same time as I updated the site, so it did the first part of the upload on the old code, then the site re-started and it was stuck in a state that was invalid for the new code. That's the best reason I can think of for this problem.

If its not too much of a pain, do you think you could try uploading the craft again and seeing if it works smoothly this time. You can leave the current one as is and then after (assuming it worked ok) just delete one of them.

I just tried uploading it to my account and it worked ok (I've now deleted it from my ac), so it should work.

nice one for spotting that typo, my lysdexic brain doesn't see those!

You're a gent, thanks!

I tried uploading again, but still no luck. Same old full green progress bar with nothing happening. I'm guessing/hoping it's just this particular craft that's the problem, I'd hate for this to happen every time :/ Maybe I'm just unlucky, I guess. Ooh wait a minute.. Ooh! So I set it to upload, it didn't so I started writing this paragraph. Just now, it said I can't continue until I've finished uploading the current craft yadda yadda.. clicked here to continue and hooray! I took me to a successful upload! :D Now let's try and break your site some more :P

Something of note - the craft that had successfully uploaded is visible on the main home screen, but clicking it results in first the craft page and then a 500 error again. If I click Back or my Profile from there, neither loads, it's 500 errors all the way down, baby. So yeah, at the moment, I can't edit or even view my crafts page.

Also, it appears the Dismiss button in the notification dialog box doesn't do anything. I had to go to the stats page and craft page itself to dismiss the notification.

Once again, thanks for the help, advice and patience with this :)

@ObsessedWithKSP

well colour me confused! I've removed that last craft from your account so at least its not causing errors on your other craft or profile page. I know what the problem is, but I don't yet know why it is happening, and apparently only happening with your craft. I could put a really gludgey fix in but its not an optimal solution and will slow page loads down, so I hope I can find the root cause.

Just one thought, is your net connection a slow one? That might be causing an extra long delay after the first step in the upload and that in turn is causing other problems. possibly... edit: nah, can't be that.

oh, ah. hmmmm. I just managed to replicate your problem in my dev environment. I'm still a little mystified but the veil is lifting! stand by......

Don't thank me! It's the other way round! So, yeah, Thanks for your patience with this! :)

oh and also; I just noticed your sig, when did you add that!? That's awesome, Thanks!!

oh, ah. hmmmm. I just managed to replicate your problem in my dev environment. I'm still a little mystified but the veil is lifting! stand by......

Don't thank me! It's the other way round! So, yeah, Thanks for your patience with this! :)

oh and also; I just noticed your sig, when did you add that!? That's awesome, Thanks!!

Well, I'm glad it's not just me, at any rate! :D And yes, I suffer but it's for the greater good (the greater good)

Oh, I added that a fair few weeks ago, probably around the time you and I were talking about how to detect TS and TE and the PartModules TE adds and stuff. I really like the site and think it's great idea - much easier than hosting on mediafire or whatever and saying 'I think there's B9 intakes and some KW tanks on there.. and I don't kow if this matters, but I have TweakScale installed' etc etc.. you just link the page and it shows everything.. looking forward to isTweakscaled = true or whatever it turns out to be :D

Also, I will admit, I love your The Wrong Brothers picture adventure you posted a while ago. It's an excellent read and I was extremely impressed at your ingenuity and skill. So much so that I'm actually planning on doing a Wrong Brothers-style save in 0.90.0 - hard mode for sure, but I'll have mods to help me out a little bit. It looks like a lot of fun to do! And I like taking screenshots as well..

@ObsessedWithKSP Right! I think I should have stopped that bug from cropping up again. You should be able to upload now. :) Let me know how it goes!

and.......

You can now update existing craft, yay!

If you upload a craft file that has the same name (craft name, not file name)*, it will ask you if you want to update the existing one or create a new upload. (if you already have several with the same name you can select which to update from a list).

You might also want to update a craft with a craft file that has a different craft name to the current one (ie if you put version numbers in the name, etc). In that case go to the craft's page (either view it or edit it) and then upload the file and it will ask you if you want to update the craft on that page. (If the name is different, then the name that is displayed will reflect the latest version, but you can always change the displayed name at the bottom of the edit page.)

*craft name vs file name - For 95% of the time the craft name and file name are the same, but ofcourse you can edit the file and change the name. The site bases craft names off what it reads out of the file, not what the file is called. If you rename a craft file and then upload it, a) the craft will be named according to what is in the file, B) when someone downloads it the filename will be the craft name (not whatever you renamed the file to).

@ObsessedWithKSP Right! I think I should have stopped that bug from cropping up again. You should be able to upload now. :) Let me know how it goes!

and.......

You can now update existing craft, yay!

If you upload a craft file that has the same name (craft name, not file name)*, it will ask you if you want to update the existing one or create a new upload. (if you already have several with the same name you can select which to update from a list).

You might also want to update a craft with a craft file that has a different craft name to the current one (ie if you put version numbers in the name, etc). In that case go to the craft's page (either view it or edit it) and then upload the file and it will ask you if you want to update the craft on that page. (If the name is different, then the name that is displayed will reflect the latest version, but you can always change the displayed name at the bottom of the edit page.)

*craft name vs file name - For 95% of the time the craft name and file name are the same, but ofcourse you can edit the file and change the name. The site bases craft names off what it reads out of the file, not what the file is called. If you rename a craft file and then upload it, a) the craft will be named according to what is in the file, B) when someone downloads it the filename will be the craft name (not whatever you renamed the file to).

Oh yes! thank you!

Now i can update my Saturn V craft on the site.

Can I say that the issue with 0.25 parts not being added to the parts database is also an issue with Jebretary.

Since 0.25 every part I have is listed as missing...

Any chance of the fix for the website being relevent to Jebretary?

On another topic, now that I have bitten the bullet and made a prototype for my Apollo style mun craft (and updates to a craft can happen correctly on the site) I think I shall upload it to KerbalX.

EDIT : uploaded craft fine. Downloaded partmapper and when I run it from the root directory of my KSP install it claims to not be able to find GameData and thinks it is being run from users/john/appdata/temp/(random folder)/src/kerbalx_part_mapper then stuff that is gone before I can read it

Hopefully this is a known issue and I can be told to install it correctly or something...

Edited by John FX

Can I say that the issue with 0.25 parts not being added to the parts database is also an issue with Jebretary.

Since 0.25 every part I have is listed as missing...

Any chance of the fix for the website being relevent to Jebretary?

On another topic, now that I have bitten the bullet and made a prototype for my Apollo style mun craft (and updates to a craft can happen correctly on the site) I think I shall upload it to KerbalX.

EDIT : uploaded craft fine. Downloaded partmapper and when I run it from the root directory of my KSP install it claims to not be able to find GameData and thinks it is being run from users/john/appdata/temp/(random folder)/src/kerbalx_part_mapper then stuff that is gone before I can read it

Hopefully this is a known issue and I can be told to install it correctly or something...

Hey John! yeah I'm very sorry that Jebretary hasn't had much attention recently, it's long overdue an update, but I've just not had the time. high priority thou. I did use the code I'd written in Jebretary in the early design of the KerbalX PartMapper, but I've since completely re-written it. I've just not yet had the time to re-integrate that back into Jebretary, but I will!

I've not done much actually kerbaling in 0.25, but from what I could see Jebretary was working ok with the new parts. I will have a closer look at that now thou. Is your issue with pre 0.25 craft? or is it happening even to craft that where built in 0.25?

Can you put one of the craft that Jebretary is not detecting properly up on KX and I'll then try it out in my test Jebretary.

re the PartMapper not working;

What is the path of your KSP folder? Is it in a program files dir?

If it is in a program files dir that could be causing problems because of how windows "protects" those folders. It might work if you use admin mode to run it.

If that is not it, can you try going into a terminal, cd into your KSP dir and then run PartMapper.exe in the term. That way any error messages will remain and you can copy them to me.

At least KX detected all the parts on your craft, so you don't need to run the PartMapper, but that said, the more people who run it the better it is for everyone (and u get points!).

Dose any body knows why my account not logging in when I confirmed my password?

P.S love the site:cool:

Thanks man!

Can you give me a bit more info? Have you managed to create an account, or is it the sign up that is not working?

If you've created an account then a) try the password reset link and B) let me know your username and I'll have a poke around in the database.

If your problem is in creating the account; try going to http://kerbalx.com/users/sign_up and entering your details there, it's just a slightly simpler form than the one that slides in on the main page.

If you can just roughly say what steps you've taken and where you hit the problem then I'll have a better chance of debugging it (oh and also what browser and OS your using).

I made an account (Ace45) but when I tried to log in it say "Invalided". So... I reset password again and again just to view. When I log on again with a new pass word it doesn't recognizes the pass word.

oh, wow, that...that is very strange! so, you have to reset your password each time you want to log in? That's horrible, I'm really sorry about that!

I shall look into this, but I'm away most of tomorrow so might not get to it till the evening. Is there anything a-typical about your password, ie is it really really long, or does it contain non-English characters or symbols or anything something like that?

What I might need to do is reset your password and set it myself so I can then try logging in as you. Then I'll be able to see what's happening and fix it . Then you can reset it again (hopefully for the last time!). Again, sorry about this, that's gotta be really annoying! I'll let you know (via PM) when I've sorted it or if I need more info.

• 2 weeks later...

I deployed some more updates a few hours ago. No new features but I've done quite a lot of 'behind the scenes things' to increase the speed of page loads and generally make things more stable.

I think that I've dealt with all of the bugs that have been reported (unless some of you are suffering in silence!). Do let me know if you have any problems, even if its just little things!

Nearly at 250 craft on there now and there are some really awesome bit of engineering! Nice one guys!

I just uploaded the Jolly Jeb from the Vertical Propulsion Emporium mod (adding a bit of steampunk flavour to the game) ( http://kerbalx.com/crafts/401 ).

The balloon on the top of it gets misrecognized as FAR while it is actually from Hooligan Airships mod, even after I ran PartMapper and re-uploaded te craft.

Which gave me an idea: Does the PartMapper read the *.version files if present? They might give you a strong hint which mod a directory really belongs to.

Ah, I may have missed "(start > cmd > cd <ksp_path> > PartMapper.exe)" when I ran my partmapper. I`ll have another go.

which failed again, I`ve taken a screenshot to show you. For some reason it thinks it is being run from a temp directory.

YOxUau7.png

So, for the notifications, Dismiss still doesn't do anything for me (still on Chrome). I have 4 notifications pending, but I can only see the first one about KX being updated. No way to see the rest as the only other options are to cancel or dismiss all notifications :/

EDIT: (un?)fortunately, Internet Explorer handles the Dismiss button correctly. So it's something to do with Chrome, hmm...

I just uploaded the Jolly Jeb from the Vertical Propulsion Emporium mod (adding a bit of steampunk flavour to the game) ( http://kerbalx.com/crafts/401 ).

The balloon on the top of it gets misrecognized as FAR while it is actually from Hooligan Airships mod, even after I ran PartMapper and re-uploaded te craft.

Which gave me an idea: Does the PartMapper read the *.version files if present? They might give you a strong hint which mod a directory really belongs to.

It's detected most of the parts (including the balloon) as being from Kerb-Fu, which I think is correct. It has detected FAR (or NEAR) as well, so I guess that you have FAR/NEAR installed (and it leaves its mark on all craft). Let me know if you don't have FAR/NEAR installed, cos that would be incorrect.

At the time of building the PartMapper only a couple mods had a .version file and from what I could see there wasn't a standard format in the file so it wasn't possible to take it into account. I will look at that again as you're right, I may be able to resolve the issues of some mods having different folder names to their mod names by using that (assuming the .version file has the correct mod name in it)

Ah, I may have missed "(start > cmd > cd <ksp_path> > PartMapper.exe)" when I ran my partmapper. I`ll have another go.

which failed again, I`ve taken a screenshot to show you. For some reason it thinks it is being run from a temp directory.

http://i.imgur.com/YOxUau7.png

oh, lol. I see what it's problem is, and its a really stupid one too! I wouldn't have realised if you hadn't listed the dir contents, but your GameData folder is called "Gamedata" and the code is looking for "GameData". the case of the 'd', that's all it is, grrr, I shall update PartMapper to not care about case! My fault for assuming that capital D was standard, doh!

Meanwhile, could you rename your folder to have the capital D and see if that works?

re the strange temp folder, now I see what that actually is, that's normal (for this program anyway). Here's why (if you're interested); The PartMapper its written in Ruby, which is not a typical language for deployment into windows and I have to assume that the client machines won't have Ruby present. So the code is packaged up using a tool called OCRA (hence the ocr prefix on the temp folder) and it bundles together the bare minimum of the Ruby components that the code needs to function and packages that up as a exe, but really its more of a zip.

When you run it, it unpacks the contents into a temp folder and runs it from there (in a pseudo Linux environment) and passes in environment path info so the code behaves as if it was run in the original folder. (Jebretary doesn't use the temp folder because it does the unpack when you install it, so it get's it's own folder to run from, but I didn't want people to have to install the PartMapper so it needs the temp folder at runtime).

So, for the notifications, Dismiss still doesn't do anything for me (still on Chrome). I have 4 notifications pending, but I can only see the first one about KX being updated. No way to see the rest as the only other options are to cancel or dismiss all notifications :/

EDIT: (un?)fortunately, Internet Explorer handles the Dismiss button correctly. So it's something to do with Chrome, hmm...

Dagnabbit I thought I'd fixed that! Sorry. It's odd that IE handles it and not chrome, should be no difference there. hmmm, I will look into that further!

Have you been able to upload your craft ok now?

Is it possible to add some more editing options for the user profile pages? I'd like to add some links to my piloting tutorials etc. (the sort of things I design aren't very novice pilot friendly; they work perfectly if flown correctly, but clumsy piloting at low altitude will see them torn apart in short order), but I'm not seeing an obvious way to do so apart from individually adding it to each vessel description.

Is it possible to add some more editing options for the user profile pages? I'd like to add some links to my piloting tutorials etc. (the sort of things I design aren't very novice pilot friendly; they work perfectly if flown correctly, but clumsy piloting at low altitude will see them torn apart in short order), but I'm not seeing an obvious way to do so apart from individually adding it to each vessel description.

Currently there isn't any custom info that you can set on your profile page. I'd planed to add more info that you can customize, like an "about me" type section, but as you've said this I'm thinking that maybe a more flexible "page" like the ones each craft gets might be better. Won't be quite the same because I think each profile should have a more consistent layout with the main links where you'd expect them, but having part of the page as a totally customizable area would be a good idea. yeah, I will add something like that.

For what you want, would having something like the signatures we have here be a good thing? So you can set it up once in your profile, but then have it automatically (or optionally) inserted as a section on each of your craft.

I've also been thinking about an "auto forum page" feature. That will basically take what you've entered in the craft page and generate the text with BB code formatting that you can just paste into a new thread when posting your craft on the forums. So you'll have the pictures, main text, action groups etc all ready and you won't have to write it out again. Still pondering the details of how it would work, but I think it should be possible.

For what you want, would having something like the signatures we have here be a good thing? So you can set it up once in your profile, but then have it automatically (or optionally) inserted as a section on each of your craft.

I've also been thinking about an "auto forum page" feature. That will basically take what you've entered in the craft page and generate the text with BB code formatting that you can just paste into a new thread when posting your craft on the forums. So you'll have the pictures, main text, action groups etc all ready and you won't have to write it out again. Still pondering the details of how it would work, but I think it should be possible.

Both of those would be good. Ideally, it'd work both ways; my stuff usually goes onto the Kerbodyne thread first, and it would be lovely if I could easily transfer it across.