KerbalX.com - Craft & Mission Sharing

katateochi

erm.... really sorry guys, I was out and didn't see the site alert!! Darn it's been down a few hours! eeek!

It's back up now, I shall investigate what happened. Thanks for the craft file link Shaggygoblin, it may not have been that though, but I shall see.

well, at a quick glance I can't see anything odd in the logs, which is itself odd. Perhaps a classic case of an error in the error detection system!

I hope you guys don't mind, but I'm going to leave trying to figure this out till tomorrow, I've had exactly the wrong quantity of wine to bug hunt this evening!

Shaggygoblin you can come out of hiding, at least for now!!

well, I'm still a bit mystified. But I can say that it wasn't Shaggygoblin's craft that took the site down.

I think it was a glitch in the background worker processes that handle getting updates to the mod knowledge base once a day. So I shall keep an eye on that and continue trying to find out what happened.

Sorry it was down for so long yesterday guys.

• 2 weeks later...

So just a few, mostly under-the-hood, updates:

The Users profile page was often taking a long time to load and infact was causing a bottleneck in site traffic. So I've optimised the Jeb out of it so it loads faster. It doesn't show quite the same level of info, for example the list of custom hangars no longer shows the count of craft in that hangar, but taking that out meant I didn't have to select a load of join tables just to get a count. It also doesn't have the list of mods that a user has used in their craft. That job has now been taken over by the ModPacks. All users now have a dynamic mod pack which you can get to by adding /my_mods or /used_mods or /uses_these_mods (I really counldn't decide which route I liked) after a username ie: http://kerbalx.com/katateochi/uses_these_mods (and there is a link to that on each users profile page now)

The mod pack is more useful because it enables people to download a CKAN metapackage that lists those mods (or at least the ones available via CKAN) for easy installing.

The other slow place was the Hangars index page (/hangars). I've changed how they function and that page has got a LOT faster at loading. I've also jazzed up the way images are shown on that page a bit, cos I really didn't like how it was before (still not 100% happy, but it's better).

Also (finally) fixed the link that lets you add craft to someone else's "open" hangar from that page. You can now click the "add your craft to this hangar" link on an open hangar and then select one of your craft from a list and add it.

Various other little tweaks here and there.

Other thing I'm working on right now is a collaboration with Eucl3d who are running a 3D printing service for KSP craft. Soon you will be able to click on craft on KerbalX and send the directly to Eucl3d for printing. (will only apply for 1.0.x craft and there are some limitations about which mods can be printed). Hopefully we'll have that feature done soon.

• 2 weeks later...
Suggestion: in craft stats show cost, maximum part tier (for stock) and crew capacity.

Cost is a pretty important stat!

I'd really like to add cost, but at present I don't have enough data on parts to calculate it. I don't collect very much information about parts, just what they are called and what mod they belong to and I'd need the cost on all parts to be able to do this.

A little while ago I started harvesting data from CKAN (as well as the crowd sourced way), initially I kept it simple to see how it worked, but I have been thinking about extending what I collect about parts to include enough data to calculate dV and if I do that cost would also be something I'd collect.

The other option of course is to let you just enter the cost of a manually, but the downside of that is not all craft would have a cost as some people wouldn't bother, so using it as a search filter would mean it would only show craft where the user has bothered to put a cost.

I might enable the option to enter a cost (and total dV) manually but just have it as a displayed stat, not a searchable one. Then when I have the part data to calc. it automatically I'll extend it.

Similar problem with the max part tier idea, although I could more easily do that for pure stock craft.

Both good suggestions of things that are needed. The next major update I'm planning to do will be to extend the amount of data I harvest about parts so this sort of thing will become possible.

I'm currently working on a complete revamp of one of the oldest parts of the site which is the interface for customizing a craft's page. Currently it's rather clunky and awkward to use, the new interface will be more intuitive and easier to use (I hope!).

• 2 weeks later...

I recently released a mod called CraftImport to allow people to be able to download and install craft files from sites like yours.

Right now the user has to enter the URL, and I have no way to determine if the craft is compatible or not.

Would it be possible to add the following:

1. API or some way to get a list of the mods that the craft requires

2. API to allow a user to upload a craft to kerbalx by using a post?

Thanks

LGG

I recently released a mod called CraftImport to allow people to be able to download and install craft files from sites like yours.

Right now the user has to enter the URL, and I have no way to determine if the craft is compatible or not.

Would it be possible to add the following:

1. API or some way to get a list of the mods that the craft requires

2. API to allow a user to upload a craft to kerbalx by using a post?

Thanks

LGG

KerbalX from inside of KSP?

Now that would be amazing.

Hi Guys, so I meant to post yesterday because yesterday was exactly one year since I first released KerbalX. 3100+ craft hosted!! wooo!!

Lots of stuff has been changed since its first release, lots more still to change. I actually have a big update that I hoped to have finished yesterday which totally changes the interface for editing your craft's page. I still need to work on a few things before that's ready though.

linuxgurugamer I think we need to talk!! I would like to have an official KerbalX mod and this could be the way for that. I shall PM you.

Hi Guys, so I meant to post yesterday because yesterday was exactly one year since I first released KerbalX. 3100+ craft hosted!! wooo!!

Lots of stuff has been changed since its first release, lots more still to change. I actually have a big update that I hoped to have finished yesterday which totally changes the interface for editing your craft's page. I still need to work on a few things before that's ready though.

linuxgurugamer I think we need to talk!! I would like to have an official KerbalX mod and this could be the way for that. I shall PM you.

Congratulations!

Good job on the website, keep up the good work!

Congrats Kat! I love your site! I hope you're not going to charge money for hosting, I've uploaded 89 craft, and my aim is to go past Das Valdez :-D

Passing Das would be quite a feat, especially if they are all good craft.

- - - Updated - - -

Congratulations on the milestone.

I'll watch for your PM

LGG

Thanks guys!

@Azimech

No I'm not ever going to charge for the basic craft hosting (what's there now). At some point I might add in additional features that are subscription based (like having private craft), but I can't really think of anything useful that people would want to pay for!

I do need to generate some $ from it to cover my running costs, but I'm going to try setting up a patreon account and see how that goes. Just not had time to do that recently, otherwise it would be up already!

@linuxgurugamer

Sorry dude i've not PM'd you yet, it's been another busy day (and I'm away tomorrow, but I will PM u soon!).

Short answer is, there already is a basic API, but it doesn't yet contain the info you need. But that's easy to change. Easy to provide info so you can GET craft, we need to talk about POSTing craft though.

The API is a basic JSON API, just add .json to the end of existing urls. For example http://kerbalx.com/Azimech/77I-B25-Mitchell-11.json

I will add mod names to that info. Let me know what other info you'd need.

Thanks guys!

@Azimech

No I'm not ever going to charge for the basic craft hosting (what's there now). At some point I might add in additional features that are subscription based (like having private craft), but I can't really think of anything useful that people would want to pay for!

I do need to generate some $ from it to cover my running costs, but I'm going to try setting up a patreon account and see how that goes. Just not had time to do that recently, otherwise it would be up already!

@linuxgurugamer

Sorry dude i've not PM'd you yet, it's been another busy day (and I'm away tomorrow, but I will PM u soon!).

Short answer is, there already is a basic API, but it doesn't yet contain the info you need. But that's easy to change. Easy to provide info so you can GET craft, we need to talk about POSTing craft though.

The API is a basic JSON API, just add .json to the end of existing urls. For example http://kerbalx.com/Azimech/77I-B25-Mitchell-11.json

I will add mod names to that info. Let me know what other info you'd need.

I'll look at the download json, but really need the upload.

So far, after looking at the site and uploading one of my ships, I think I would need to be able to upload the following fields:

craft file

class/style

tags

image url and/or imgur album

video link

description

I would need to get back, assuming it's good, a url to the edit page on KerbalX for the uploaded craft, so that I could open a browser window for the user to fine-tune it.

I'm not sure if the craft file should be part of the json or a separate upload, that is your decision.

For example (I copied this from the sample you gave):

{
"name": "77I-B25 Mitchell 1.1",
"picture_url": "http://i.imgur.com/91ANabZ.jpg",
"subassembly": false,
"style": "aircraft",
"tag":"tag1",
"tag", tag2",
"video_url":"http://videourl.com",
"description": "this is the description of the craft",
"craft": "[FONT=Verdana]ship = 3 Scanner Sat Launcher[/FONT]version = 1.0.4
description =
type = VAB
size = 8.449691,31.45635,3.274948
PART
{
part = NP.lfb.25m.Adv_4293313452
partName = Part
pos = 0.01181061,15.12266,0.241172
attPos = 0,0,0
attPos0 = 0.01181061,15.12266,0.241172
rot = 0,0,0,1
attRot = 0,0,0,1
attRot0 = 0,0,0,1
mir = 1,1,1
symMethod = Radial
istg = 3
dstg = 0
sidx = 0
sqor = 3
sepI = 0
attm = 0
modCost = 0
modMass = 0
modSize = (0.0, 0.0, 0.0)
link = SYdecouplerRadial1_4291660780
link = SYdecouplerRadial1_4291612890
link = torpod_4292785976
attN = top,torpod_4292785976
EVENTS
{
}
ACTIONS
{
}
PARTDATA
{
}
MODULE
{
name = ModuleEnginesFX
isEnabled = True
staged = False
flameout = False
EngineIgnited = False
engineShutdown = False
currentThrottle = 0
thrustPercentage = 100
manuallyOverridden = False
thrustPercentage_UIFlight
{
controlEnabled = True
minValue = 0
maxValue = 100
stepIncrement = 0.5
}
EVENTS
{
Activate
{
active = True
guiActive = True
guiIcon = Activate Engine
guiName = Activate Engine
category = Activate Engine
guiActiveUnfocused = False
unfocusedRange = 2
externalToEVAOnly = True
}
Shutdown
{
active = False
guiActive = True
guiIcon = Shutdown Engine
guiName = Shutdown Engine
category = Shutdown Engine
guiActiveUnfocused = False
unfocusedRange = 2
externalToEVAOnly = True
}
}"

}

Version 13 Update

Yesterday I deployed an update that adds a complete overhaul to the editing interface that you use to customize your craft pages. The new interface is not enabled by default because it's still new and may have issues, but you can select to use it at the bottom of the craft edit page.

It adds in a drag and drop interaction that makes it much easier to move and resize images and blocks of text and provides a couple of helpers for setting font size and color. It also lets you change which picture is used for the craft's thumbnail and prompts you to remember to set action groups, add pics etc.

It should be much more intuitive to use and it lets you be much more flexible in how you place things. In the current interface the various containers have limitations on where they can be placed so you can get areas on the page that you can't use, and the interface for moving and resizing them is clunky at best! The new interface lets you drag containers wherever you want, including on top of each other, so there is no restriction on where they can be and you can do things like put some text over an image, or have overlapping images.

This craft page is an example of what you can do with the new interface.

http://kerbalx.com/katateochi/KerbalXcom-Update

This update also adds in some code that will bring the 3D printing feature, but it's not quite ready yet, we're still doing some tests.

Katateochi,

Is there any way to change the order of the craft in a hangar? I've added a new craft to one of my hangars and I'd like it to be at the bottom of the list.

Not at present, but I do need to add ordering to hangars. I also need to add pagination, so will probably do those together.