Jump to content

KerbalX.com - Craft & Mission Sharing


katateochi
 Share

Recommended Posts

@XLjedi If you post the image url I'll have a look at what's happening. Put the url in code block tags then it won't display the image, ie:

http://i.imgur.com/NPxWLzy.jpg

can you also post a screenshot of the save image window that you're talking about, I'm not sure which window you're referring to.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, katateochi said:

@XLjedi If you post the image url I'll have a look at what's happening. Put the url in code block tags then it won't display the image, ie:

http://i.imgur.com/NPxWLzy.jpg

can you also post a screenshot of the save image window that you're talking about, I'm not sure which window you're referring to.

Here's the png file url... Your site previews it fine, but fails to save for some reason.

http://www.xl-logic.com/KSP/craft/FE-01%20Kobra.png

The window I'm talking about is the floating dialog where the image url is entered and you see the preview.  I'm operating from a tablet and away from home, so don't have easy access to all my tools.  Posting screenshots is hard ATM.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

@XLjedi using the url you gave me (with the %20) it seems to work ok for me; thumbnail generated and image added to page.  spaces aren't valid url characters so should be converted to %20 (although replacing them with an _ or - on the site they're hosted on might be better), but even with the space, if it's converted to %20 then it should work. Are you pasting the image url in with the %20 conversion or with spaces? It's odd that it's generating the thumbnail but not showing the image.  Can you post a link to a craft that you're having this issue with and I'll take a look at the page and see if I can see anything wrong in the markup.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, katateochi said:

@XLjedi using the url you gave me (with the %20) it seems to work ok for me; thumbnail generated and image added to page.  spaces aren't valid url characters so should be converted to %20 (although replacing them with an _ or - on the site they're hosted on might be better), but even with the space, if it's converted to %20 then it should work. Are you pasting the image url in with the %20 conversion or with spaces? It's odd that it's generating the thumbnail but not showing the image.  Can you post a link to a craft that you're having this issue with and I'll take a look at the page and see if I can see anything wrong in the markup.

Confirmed, it's OK.  I was trying to update the URL/picture for all of my craft to link to my site instead of IMGUR and I think it was actually an issue with the tablet/browser combo that I was using rather than your site.  Basically, your site is a little wonky when viewed with my tablet, particularly the coding of those drag/drop gadgets you have.  I don't think the browser on my tablet likes that code...  might be a little beyond its capabilities.

Just checked it here at home and all is well, thanks for checking it!

I did have one other question for you though...  those drag/drop gadgets?  How difficult would it be to have another image container that would follow a hyperlink rather than enlarge the photo when clicked?  I'd like to put a small image of a flag that might say "Click Me for X" so people could download things like my mod for the Green Cherubs or one of the custom flags that I make, etc.  Basically, clickable icons like the ones in my signature below that follow a URL link when clicked.

 

 

Edited by XLjedi
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, XLjedi said:

Basically, your site is a little wonky when viewed with my tablet, particularly the coding of those drag/drop gadgets you have.  I don't think the browser on my tablet likes that code...  might be a little beyond its capabilities.

I've not really tried to optimise the craft edit page for mobile/tablet use and those javascript drag/drop elements are very touch-interface unfriendly (and at the time I wrote that part there wasn't really any libs that could do touch based drag events, there are some now, but it would be quite a bit of work to replace them. At some point I will though!)
I've done a fair bit to add mobile friendly (responsive) css to the viewing/search pages but I know there are some pages on certain device sizes that still aren't quite right yet (and imgur albums on mobile/tablets don't always load properly, that's high on the to-fix list though). 

2 hours ago, XLjedi said:

How difficult would it be to have another image container that would follow a hyperlink rather than enlarge the photo when clicked?

Actually, the fact that you can't right now could be considered a bug! Using markdown you can nest an image tag inside a link tag which should be all that's needed, but currently the image viewer code overrides the actions of any links that are also images, so it breaks that.  I'll have a fix for that in the next patch update (prob over this weekend).  Then you'll be able to put an image tag inside a link tag and clicking those images won't open the image viewer but will follow the link instead. like this;

[click here](http://some_other_location/stuff)            #regular link tag
[img:http://www.xl-logic.com/KSP/craft/FE-01%20Kobra.png] #regular image tag
#replace the 'click here' text from the link tag with the image tag like this;
[ [img:http://www.xl-logic.com/KSP/craft/FE-01%20Kobra.png] ](http://some_other_location/stuff)

The fix will also ensure that all links on a craft page will open as a new tab (which currently doesn't happen).

 

So I've got a question about how to handle links to other sites (and taking the coder assumption that all users are evil masterminds).  A user could put a link on a craft page which points to something unpleasant.  Having a white list of allowed domains to link to is very restrictive and having a blacklist of disallowed domains doesn't really solve the problem (I do use a white list for the domains which the list of mods point to and that works well for that, but would probably be too restrictive for this).  I could do what steam does and place a dialog which pops up saying "this link takes you somewhere else, are you sure you want to continue" which (not unlike a somebody-else's-problem field generator) puts the responsibility on the user. Or don't do anything and assume that (because this is the KSP community) the likelyhood that someone will put a link to something unpleasant is low, and if anyone does then ban/suspend the account. How is this handled on these forums?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I wouldn't worry about policing URL's, a deviant user could already have created those bad links given the tools/gadgets you already have... Hotlinks and/or the image links being embedded in the profile description for instance.  Maybe just add an option for users to report inappropriate content/links.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 5/26/2017 at 3:18 PM, katateochi said:

So I've got a question about how to handle links to other sites (and taking the coder assumption that all users are evil masterminds).  A user could put a link on a craft page which points to something unpleasant.  Having a white list of allowed domains to link to is very restrictive and having a blacklist of disallowed domains doesn't really solve the problem (I do use a white list for the domains which the list of mods point to and that works well for that, but would probably be too restrictive for this).  I could do what steam does and place a dialog which pops up saying "this link takes you somewhere else, are you sure you want to continue" which (not unlike a somebody-else's-problem field generator) puts the responsibility on the user. Or don't do anything and assume that (because this is the KSP community) the likelyhood that someone will put a link to something unpleasant is low, and if anyone does then ban/suspend the account. How is this handled on these forums?

I like the idea of a dialogue saying that you are leaving the site and you are not responsible for any content beyond this point. I think that it's a wise precaution.

 

On 5/26/2017 at 5:41 PM, XLjedi said:

I wouldn't worry about policing URL's, a deviant user could already have created those bad links given the tools/gadgets you already have... Hotlinks and/or the image links being embedded in the profile description for instance.  Maybe just add an option for users to report inappropriate content/links.

I like this one too. Perhaps you could do both. You know, have a dialogue to redirect you and a reporting system for inappropriate links (suspended account for 1 day first offense, 4 days 2nd offense, 1 week 3rd offense, perma ban 4th offense or something like that) but youd have to have a way to verify the reports are not just trolls trying to screw people over for fun. Mebbe have a way to contest the report by PMing you and a few select people you trust or something.... its tough because there will always be a way to abuse a report system, but the dialogue for me is kinda a must. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Minor patch update

Couple minor tweaks for 1.3's release.
You can embed an image tag in a link tag and now clicking on that image will follow the link (rather than opening the image viewer as before).  You can create image links like this;

[ [img:http://url_to_imgae.jpg] ](http://some_other_site.com/stuff)

Links that point to external sources (image and regular text links) now get an external link icon (like this external-128.png) shown next to them to indicate they point elsewhere.  External links have always been possible (and are mostly used to point to mods) and so far they've not been abused, if that changes then I'll add in a dialog which will inform of a link to external site.

EDIT
opps, patch had caused a bit of css to go wrong so names of craft on the thumbnails weren't being shown. The patch has now been patched! doh.

Edited by katateochi
Link to comment
Share on other sites

52 minutes ago, That_Other_Guy said:

A Suggestion : In the craft class maybe add a category for mining rigs/crafts?

I want to keep the categories as discrete as possible so they don't overlap. ie say you have a craft which is a mining lander or a craft which is a spaceplane that can do mining, if you have a mining category it becomes a bit ambiguous which category they should go into, lander or miner, spaceplane or miner. Also people can be a bit slack about selecting the right category so viewing the miner category wouldn't necessarily bring up all mining craft.

But you can add #tags to craft and if you search for "miner" that will find craft with "miner" in either their name or their hash tags. Still not ideal as not everyone puts #tags.

Another thing you can do is make use of a little-known feature on KX and search for craft by certain parts.  It's a bit of a clunky feature without any proper interface and it does require that you know the in-game part name for each part you want to search by.  But in this case you could do a search like this;

+part:radialdrill +part:isru

Enter that into the search text field and it will find craft that have both the large radial drill and the large resource converter.  Or use +part:MiniISRU for the small resource converter and +part:MiniDrill for the smaller drill. You can search by any part using the format +part:<partname> in the main search text field. 
To find the ingame part names you can use the parts search (https://KerbalX.com/parts) or view lists of parts for each mod (https://KerbalX.com/mods, go there, search for a mod and then on the mod page click show x parts).  (also for stock parts you can use the KSP parts wiki and on each part in the right hand column it has the ingame name labelled as "Part").

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

My thumb will not accept the change on my recent post RC Boat, can you please change my thumb image to the Picture and not the Video Thumb when you have a chance? Thanks! Not sure if this is happening just to this post or if others may be doing it also.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Castille7 said:

My thumb will not accept the change on my recent post RC Boat, can you please change my thumb image to the Picture and not the Video Thumb when you have a chance? Thanks! Not sure if this is happening just to this post or if others may be doing it also.

Not sure why that was happening, I can't replicate the issue. Perhaps imgur was overloaded at the time you tried, that could cause the thumbnail to fail to process.

Anyway, I've changed the thumbnail for you.  You may need to reload the page with ctrl+shift+r so you don't see a cached thumbnail. 
 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

56 minutes ago, katateochi said:

Not sure why that was happening, I can't replicate the issue. Perhaps imgur was overloaded at the time you tried, that could cause the thumbnail to fail to process.

Anyway, I've changed the thumbnail for you.  You may need to reload the page with ctrl+shift+r so you don't see a cached thumbnail. 
 

Ok thank you!!

Link to comment
Share on other sites

@katateochi So I went to upload a new ship and entered this album ID "wmgkD" and pressed next, expecting to be taken to the editing page but it gave me an error! So then I canceled the upload and  tried again. I tried it without the album, and it seemed like it worked, but the instant I entered the album ID in the place of the default picture, it immediately gave me an error screen upon saving. This hasn't happened before to me when I tried to upload with an album. What is wrong with the site?

Edited by Mycroft
Link to comment
Share on other sites

30 minutes ago, Mycroft said:

@katateochi So I went to upload a new ship and entered this album ID "wmgkD" and pressed next, expecting to be taken to the editing page but it gave me an error! So then I canceled the upload and  tried again. I tried it without the album, and it seemed like it worked, but the instant I entered the album ID in the place of the default picture, it immediately gave me an error screen upon saving. This hasn't happened before to me when I tried to upload with an album. What is wrong with the site?

I just tried uploading a test craft and used your album ID and it worked ok. Did the error say anything useful or was it just the standard 500 error?
There is an issue that I'm looking into, but I'm not sure if that's related. Can you try again and see of it works this time?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Site Update
Just deployed a set of changes. It's quite a big update but most of it is behind the scenes stuff, aiming to make things run faster and reduce memory usage. I'd noticed that pages like /users and /mods were showing some slow response times and that was causing a knock-on effect for the rest of the site with requests being queued while slower ones were handled. So I've made some improvements to the search component which drives those pages and they should now be much faster now (effects /users, /mods, /parts, /mod_packs).  (I think I levelled up my SQL skill tree too!).  The other page that was really crawling was the parts list on each craft with craft with high part counts (kerbalx.com/<username>/<craft_name>/parts), that should be much faster now too.

/mod_packs now also has a search interface so you can sort, filter and search them too and /users has a couple more sorting options; by points and by points/craft (thanks @XLjedi for that suggestion).  When sorting by points, it looks at the total points for each user (from their craft, comments and points gained from uploading part maps). When sorting by points / craft it just looks at the points gained for their craft and divides that by how many craft they have.

Also some tweaks to try and reduce the memory usage, but I've still got more to do on that.

 

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

11 hours ago, katateochi said:

Site Update
Just deployed a set of changes. It's quite a big update but most of it is behind the scenes stuff, aiming to make things run faster and reduce memory usage. I'd noticed that pages like /users and /mods were showing some slow response times and that was causing a knock-on effect for the rest of the site with requests being queued while slower ones were handled. So I've made some improvements to the search component which drives those pages and they should now be much faster now (effects /users, /mods, /parts, /mod_packs).  (I think I levelled up my SQL skill tree too!).  The other page that was really crawling was the parts list on each craft with craft with high part counts (kerbalx.com/<username>/<craft_name>/parts), that should be much faster now too.

/mod_packs now also has a search interface so you can sort, filter and search them too and /users has a couple more sorting options; by points and by points/craft (thanks @XLjedi for that suggestion).  When sorting by points, it looks at the total points for each user (from their craft, comments and points gained from uploading part maps). When sorting by points / craft it just looks at the points gained for their craft and divides that by how many craft they have.

Also some tweaks to try and reduce the memory usage, but I've still got more to do on that.

 

 

All your hard work on your site is definitely appreciated and it shows!

I've been wanting to give a suggestion for a while now and now seems to be a good time. I've notice you have some formats to choose from but the default format is not set to a default frame size for the first picture and first video up loaded. If you could you look at my recent post with the RC Boat for an example to see the format size that I am asking for when you have a chance? In short this would be the default frame size and position for the first picture uploaded, first video uploaded, Description and Details. None have to be exactly this size this is just to get the jest of it.

Thanks for you time and consideration of the suggestion!

Link to comment
Share on other sites

@katateochi, I have either a question or a bug report (depending on your response :P)

I was making a few more hangers for mass downloads, and I noticed that KerbalX doesn't seem to like the "+" sign.  One of my craft, the 'Titan 4C+' is in my "VAB (Raptor9)" hanger, but when I was doing a test download, the craft isn't included in the zip file; however it's sister rocket 'Titan 4C' is.

The reason I think it's the "+" sign is because a few of the craft that have it in their craft file titles have it omitted after download (ie 'EV-3 Hab+Lab' or 'EV-4 Hab+Lab Mk1' become 'EV-3 HabLab' and 'EV-4 HabLab Mk1')

I have no idea if this is a limitation of the website software or not, but figured I'd bring it up.  Thanks. :)

Link to comment
Share on other sites

15 minutes ago, Fireheart318 said:

Is there a way to see what pages I've commented on? I need to find some planes

I suspect the answer is no, but it gives me the idea that I might want to create a hangar to hold craft that I've commented on.  ...a nice feature might be to automatically add craft to this hangar similar to downloads?

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Fireheart318 said:

Awesome! Thanks! :D

Wait, what about things I've commented on?

I apologize, this is comments that you made and other made on your own craft. :blush: 

2 hours ago, Fireheart318 said:

Is there a way to see what pages I've commented on? I need to find some planes

Maybe give us a brief description of the craft and about when it was posted and we can try and help you find it

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Fireheart318 said:

Is there a way to see what pages I've commented on? I need to find some planes

There used to be KerbalX.com/<username>/comments but the page had some major issues (mostly horrifically slow) so I disabled it (and have not got around to fixing it. but I will!)
Meanwhile I just went into the database and pulled out the urls of the craft you've commented on, I'll message them to you.
 

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

 Share

×
×
  • Create New...