[Resolved] Blender Messing-up FBX Export

In Blender, my model appears like this. Note that the three gray bars are straight and parallel.

The three bars are parented to the flat panel, which will rotate.

qwdVyr3.jpg

In Unity, the model appears like this. Note the three bars.:

1bCcoJK.jpg

Upon importing the FBX file created by Blender into Blender, I see that the FBX file has the same problem:

7zSzl8Z.jpg

I added the purple material to clearly show the three bars,

I don't know if it matters, but my node_collider does NOT cover this part of the model; is is to be an animated door . Upon opening, the player can then put objects inside of it. Then close the door.

EDIT: Deleted link to BLEND file because IT WILL CRASH YOUR KSP. Crash due to open collider mesh (node_collider)

Have any Blender users seen the problem? How did you solve it?

thanks

Edited by Apollo13

Huh, I haven't run into that. But I don't export as FBX.

I've been using Collada/DAE mostly, which has worked well, except for a couple of instances where the models just didn't import (I'd get the transforms but not the actual models). I've also been using Unity 4.5, and just downgraded to 4.2.2 so I can do emissive animations. The first model I tried importing with DAE had the UV mapping all scrambled, so I switched to OBJ and it transferred to Unity just fine.

Have you tried to just importing the .blend file directly into Unity?

Not on this model. when I did that on previous models, I got a Windows dialog saying "Blender has stopped working."

Stupid question, did you reset the transforms for position and scale once you had finished the model? especially if the parts were manipulated during creation. if you haven't reset it can lead to probs like this. sorry if you've already checked, but you never know:P

Not a stupid question at all. As an experiment, I "un-parented" the gray bars from the panel. I manipulated the panel via the timeline, and the bars did not follow; thus, successful unparenting. I exported to FBX, and re-imported the FBX. The model was correct. I reloaded the BLEND file and parented them again to the panel, and the problem recurred.

OTHER EXPERIMENTS:

I tried grabbing and and moving the bar off the panel. When I exported and re-imported the FBX file, the bar was still off the panel, but crooked at the same angle as before.

I duplicated a gray bar (SHFT-D) and placed it elsewhere. Upon exporting and importing, it, too, was crooked at the new location.

Exported and imported just the three bars without the panel. The bars were perfectly straight as they should be. Perhaps something to do with the panel? Somehow, parenting to the panel causes the bars to go crooked even though I unparented them and re-parented?

I combined the panel and bars into a single object (Ctrl-J). The problem still happened after exporting and importing.

I deleted the panel. I created a new panel and parented the bars to it. I FBX exported and imported the model. The crooked bars still occurred.

Edited by Apollo13

My work-around.

Grouped three bars as single object. Unparented the bars from the panel. Parented the panel to the bars. Animated the bars object versus animating the panel. Parented bars object to rest of model.

This should not have been necessary. Thank you, Blender, for wasting about more than a dozen hours of my life. Now, I can spend time tweaking the model.

Edited by Apollo13

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.