Esinohio's Blender farm

esinohio

I think the head should be a bit thinner and taller. The overall volume seems right just a little to wide and squashed. Although, that's assuming you're looking to model exactly off the stock kerbal dimensions. Just based on my reference image used earlier the head seems to be about the same width as the body, maybe a teensy bit wider

6Rs6ipu.png    zP6QKPc.png

Closing in on that body shape I'm after.  Threw another quick partial IK rig in to see how well things were working and I couldn't be happier.  He bends, squats, jumps, etc.  Fun!

this is so awesome. I was really wishing I could pose some kerbals for roleplaying with the KSA once it rebooted and bam, here it comes. Looking great, but hopefully the in-game animation tool gets updated as well.

On a somewhat related note, esinohio I was originally considering using the Kerbalizer to create my characters and then composite them into game screenshots using Blender to try to match the lighting and stuff so they fit into the image. Worthwhile thought?

26 minutes ago, Gaiiden said:

this is so awesome. I was really wishing I could pose some kerbals for roleplaying with the KSA once it rebooted and bam, here it comes. Looking great, but hopefully the in-game animation tool gets updated as well.

On a somewhat related note, esinohio I was originally considering using the Kerbalizer to create my characters and then composite them into game screenshots using Blender to try to match the lighting and stuff so they fit into the image. Worthwhile thought?

I had forgotten all about that Kerbalizer.  I tried the same thing for a video I did a long time ago.  I just snagged a few seconds of the Kerbals head as it looked around a bit and then composited it into my video.  Knowing that I'm sure you can probably get some great shots of them at various angles.  Once I finally finish up the model I'd be more than happy to post it if you want.  Fairly close to done actually, his rig just needs some fine tuning and it will be ready for easy posing.   

Much further along with the rig now.  Actually I completely pitched the basic rig pictured a few posts ago with a completely new rig made from the ground up.  Far far happier with this one so far.  The facial bones are something like an art form and about all I have managed to get is a few decent facial expressions.  With a few more bones in lip area I think he will be able to do most mouth movements.  

The rig now has controllers for the hands,feet, knees, elbows, and eyes.  It makes it a million times easier to pose the model now.  

eVR8Twr.png

u0U1kU3.png7jyR0ng.png

Still narrowing down the mouth area.  Those bones are hard.

And yet more fun with Blender's animation tools.   I never thought making something come alive in Blender would be this fun!   Music thrown in so he wasn't standing and dancing with no audio.  With some reworking of the mouth animation I suppose you could loosely lip sync this.

.... sorry for the Rick roll.  Jeb roll?

TDRa3ki.png

Rigged Kerbal in Blender ver 1

Link:  

Rigged Kerbal mk 2

This project began in an effort to make a posable Kerbal that could be used in future renders.  While certainly no expert with this stuff I think he came out very well.  The model is completely articulated and can assume many basic facial poses by simply moving the control bones.  Current render times are reasonable for animation even when using the real hair on the model.  Hair can be combed differently, grown, removed, curled, kinked, and of course recolored. If you turn on the option and bake the hair it will come alive and move with your character and respond to the environment.

Moving forward I will be tweaking and updating the model with things like:

1.  Adjustments to proportions!! ( Since I was doing this entirely by eye, and honestly my eyes suck, his proportions are a bit off here and there.  )

2. Finer facial control with more expressions. If I get REALLY bored I might take a stab at adding the shape keys for the basic phonemes used for lip syncing in Blender.   Seeing him actually talk would be awesome. 

3. UV mapped body and painted texture map so new facial colors, tattoos, scars, etc can be added to the body.

4. Accessories.  I plan to add at least a few versions of the Kerbal such as the scientist and workman. If I thought doing the body was hard that infernal spacesuit is gonna kill me!  Modeling it is proving to be a challenge since I'm not planning on faking detail with texture maps.  All the hoses, buttons, and dials need to be modeled so needless to say I'm neck deep in reference materials and tutorials.  

5.  Basic animations.  He's currently got stored in the NLA a dance and singing routine, salute, and a BAD walk cycle. 

6.  And last but certainly not least I need to make the female version of this model.  Another grand project in itself since her proportions were so well done.

Special thanks to @Gaiiden for all his continued help!!!

Keeping this in my thread for now but I'm not sure if it needs its own.  Maybe if there is actual interest I'll start a new thread just for the model.

Edited by esinohio

Good stuff! Here are the ones I've shared via PM for everyone else to see

ATE25Fxl.png

QHGS62n.png

Although I've had some experience with Poser3D in working with IK rigs and bones I'd never done anything with Blender but both of these images took just under an hour to pose and render, testament to the quality of the rigging.

T7stlaj.png

Just playing around with @Azimech 's Curious Chakora v1 (v2 out now).  Turbine powered with a variable pitch prop!!  ... a variable pitch prop!  Keeping your prop pitch set depending on airspeed feels like a full on sim.   All we need now is a fuel mixture system, cylinder head temps,  and maybe some old school ADF radios for navigation.

In case you were living under a rock like me and missed this one go by in the craft exchange, find it here.

playing around with the kerbal a bit more and attempting to render next to one in a game screenshot, I notice the head needs to be taller. All other dimensions seem fine. Did you adjust the neck?

1 minute ago, Gaiiden said:

playing around with the kerbal a bit more and attempting to render next to one in a game screenshot, I notice the head needs to be taller. All other dimensions seem fine. Did you adjust the neck?

Neck has been made a bit longer.  Will upload it here tonight along with a few other modifications that should make moving him a lot easier.  My current custom bone shapes are not very intuitive.

2 minutes ago, Lordherrmann said:

0m86lJh.png

That 'stache is killin me! lol Love it.