Esinohio's Blender farm

esinohio

I'm curious, if I gave you a craft file from the current version of KSP of a craft made in a far previous version of KSP (Back when the nosecone and wings were different), could you replace the modern parts with the old ones?

I can give them a try if Endersman is busy. That craft of course just looks amazing!

**edit: Checked and the first stumbling block are those procedural parts. Last check they won't import :(

I'm not busy. :)

Also, p-wings can be fudged. Just make a square mesh and make it into a wing. Takes a while but it works.

Hey if you guys do manage to do anything with it, could you please credit Angorek, I got the idea to build White Knight and Spaceship one from his thread initially.

http://forum.kerbalspaceprogram.com/threads/131075-Space-Ship-One-with-White-Knight

I'm curious, if I gave you a craft file from the current version of KSP of a craft made in a far previous version of KSP (Back when the nosecone and wings were different), could you replace the modern parts with the old ones?

I'm not sure that would work. The parts have different names now, so it wouldn't be able to import the old parts. And it would take FOREVER to assemble a craft in blender.

I'm not sure that would work. The parts have different names now, so it wouldn't be able to import the old parts. And it would take FOREVER to assemble a craft in blender.

Haha, I can verify this as before the script was created I made a few craft in blender via ninja ripper and manually assembling the parts. Talk about tedious!!

Procedural parts don't import correctly.

Now wait, I just thought of something.

If you're talking about fuel tanks and such, it would be possible. They will import in the right place. If you give me the exact X Y and Z scales, I can apply that in blender.

for P-wings, its a bit more complicated, but it might even work that way.

I assume then that it would be impossible to make blender read the current part file names and locations with the old part models and textures then.

I assume then that it would be impossible to make blender read the current part file names and locations with the old part models and textures then.

It would take a total rewrite of the craft importing code, which would take a long time and I have no idea how to do.

It would take a total rewrite of the craft importing code, which would take a long time and I have no idea how to do.

Well, all you'd have to do is replace each part folder with the old part models right? Or am I missing something crucial here?

After spending an entire work-night on the K-150 Kraptor S3 all terrain hooning vehicle, I decided it might be epic enough to warrant some car advertisement renders!

Craft file and release notes:

http://forum.kerbalspaceprogram.com/threads/131253-Ford-Kraptor-Pickup-Truck-Low-part-airdrop-capable-ejection-seats?p=2139825&viewfull=1#post2139825

Unlike the previous monster of the X-Com scene requests, the K-150 should be a jiffy as real world automakers usually like standardizing their press shots in terms of content shown and perspective used.

For this project we'll take inspiration from the Dodge Ram Rebel truck and some promotional photographs as seen in a below linked automotive blog.

Scene 1:

Within crew cabin, looking out of the windscreen at the mountains.

Scene 2: A hard turn through the sand (Dust cloud o rama!)

There are a number of photos showcasing a truck in all the above perspectives, in this article from Truck Yeah! @ Jalopnik http://truckyeah.jalopnik.com/first-drive-we-figured-out-what-the-ram-rebel-is-by-tr-1705396977 Feel free to play with any other interesting angle too! The undercarriage close up is certainly fascinating as well.

Scene ??? : You know those pictures that show renders of new cars in a backdrop of nothingness, or on a rotating circle thingie? BlueCanary would like some of these!

Project Notes:

As with the X-Com render, I'm certainly not requesting for all the above scenes - just do whichever is easiest depending on mood :D

Built Kerbal Tough! You've probably already seen this awesome truck over in the craft exchange but if not then climb out from that rock you've been living under and head on over here! Personally I like the uncluttered design with the nice clean lines. Even the driver compartment has some nice detail! Have fun taking this one for a spin around the KSC.

VSlZWW1.gif

GxXGTzB.png

YvFPwWD.png

NrHj3Za.png

Best selling truck on Earth, Mars and now the Galaxy.

Engineered for modern space exploration, this robust special-edition all-environment fuel cell vehicle uniquely showcases historical 20th Century Earth heavy duty design, bringing back fond memories of big hair, rock music and 8-track tapes.

Test drive the all-new K-150S3 today at our friendly dealers today.

* Vehicle shown with options.

Ps. Fantastic renders! I loved how the truck turned out, and the monolithic front fascia certainly looks distinctive when everything's lit up!

A revisit of MajorJim's beautifully static posed AT-ST. The detail in this model is simply amazing. Deceptively simple would be an understatement here. Download this one and really take a close look! The detail you designers are able to achieve is nothing short of amazing. This one is most certainly going on the list of renders I want to revisit down the road. Several people have posted vids of their own versions of the AT-ST walking so I know it wouldn't be anything new but doing the walk animation in Blender would be a fun project. Maybe walking and taking a few shots from the front laser cannons?

XAyTyin.gif

** Several parts were not imported properly and had to be manually imported and placed so this is NOT a true and accurate representation. I came fairly close but you really need to launch it and see it on the pad/runway to get it in all its glory! **

RcATtyd.png

Low res tests

Thought I'd post my fire and smoke shader for anyone to use. It is essentially the standard fire shader with options added. To use just append the "Fire Shader" material from the blend file into your scene and apply it to your smoke domain. Changing the values on the material can give you all sorts of interesting results. Opening the material in the node editor and adjusting the color ramp will allow any color fire you can think of. Moving the positions of the points on the color ramp will also change the appearance of the fire. Smoke color is changed on the domain itself in the physics properties. Message me if you have a question about other fire simulation settings. Happy Blendin' !! :cool:

Fire and Smoke Shader

http://i.imgur.com/RcATtyd.png

Low res tests

Thought I'd post my fire and smoke shader for anyone to use. It is essentially the standard fire shader with options added. To use just append the "Fire Shader" material from the blend file into your scene and apply it to your smoke domain. Changing the values on the material can give you all sorts of interesting results. Opening the material in the node editor and adjusting the color ramp will allow any color fire you can think of. Moving the positions of the points on the color ramp will also change the appearance of the fire. Smoke color is changed on the domain itself in the physics properties. Message me if you have a question about other fire simulation settings. Happy Blendin' !! :cool:

Fire and Smoke Shader

You've just made smoke and fire so much easier than all of that compositing work with mix shaders, ColorRamp, Glossy BDFS Shader, etc.

Purple flames :cool:

And typical forum:

"You must spread some Reputation around before giving it to esinohio again."

You've just made smoke and fire so much easier than all of that compositing work with mix shaders, ColorRamp, Glossy BDFS Shader, etc.

Purple flames :cool:

And typical forum:

"You must spread some Reputation around before giving it to esinohio again."

Welcome!! Have fun tinkering and tweaking the simulation. :D Oh, tell your processor I said sorry... haha!

Zekes brings us the Tiger 1 tank. I went ahead and tried a different kind of spin animation and went all Matrix with this one. Below we see Zekes Pz.KPfw. VI Ausf. E-Tiger 1 (Early Production) frozen in mid shot. All stock with some Blender trickery to change the colors. Fire up Panzerlied on YouTube here and enjoy! Donwload the tank here.

yfmcozS.gif

Now on to Jon144's Relentless Tank!!

Edited by esinohio

While an Imgur issue with Jon144's tank gets sorted I played around with rigging the AT-ST from MajorJim. Only animated the upper part here but I've managed to get the legs rigged and soon I hope to have a fully rigged AT-ST complete with walking and running cycles as well as moving laser turrets.

"You talkin to me??"

oJL9j8U.gif

bF2G0mP.png

Javascript is disabled. View full album

A quick guide to making animated gifs from captured video without having to visit a sketchy website. As with anything on a PC I'm sure there are a million different ways to tackle this problem and I'm equally sure there is an easier way to do this but I'm enjoying learning the features of Blender. For this project you'll need a copy of Blender and Gimp. Both are free and easy to install! Blender is here. GIMP is available here.

1. First you'll need to capture some in game video. Maybe jazz things up a bit using one of many camera mods like KerbCam. A nice 360 view maybe? Find your favorite video recording software and get recording!!

2. Fire up Blender and go to the Video Sequence Editor. (*Picture #1 in Album*)

3. Load your video into the Video Sequence Editor. (*Picture #2 in Album*)

4. Change the end frame of the animation to match the end frame of your video. The end frame is displayed on the editor. The bottom strip is your video and top is audio. Ignore the top strip. End frame can be changed at the bottom or in the render options. (Picture #3 in Album*) Clicking use backdrop near the bottom will show your video in the background. You can scrub through the video to get the exact frames positioning your after and adjust the start and end frames accordingly.

5. Now you're almost done in Blender! Click over to the render tab, looks like a little camera.(*Picture #4 in Album*) Frames per second should be 24! (Wrong in pic sorry) Change the resolution to something manageable. Change the output directory to somewhere you want all those pictures to go. Make sure the output type says PNG. (*Picture #4 in Album*) Now click the Animation button or press Ctrl + F12. All those frames will now start dumping into your output directory.

6. After all those frames have finished dumping open up GIMP. You can close Blender.

7. Open the images as layers in GIMP. (*Picture #5 in Album*) Browse to first image in list and click it. Go to bottom of list and shift + click the last image to select all the images. Gimp does have an upward limit of frames it can handle! Not sure what that is but short animations should be fine.

8. Now export all those layers as a Gif. (*Picture #6 in Album*) Name your file and make the extension .gif

9. The export options now display. Click As animation. Click loop animation if you want it to loop endlessly. You might need to change the time in between frames to 42. Click Export and wait a bit. **Can take a while** (*Picture #7 in Album*)

10. Enjoy your new animated gif you shamelessly swiped from in game video!

Again, I know this is far easier to do by simply uploading your video to one of the various animated gif creator sites. I just wanted to outline the process for anyone who wanted to give it a go on their own. Besides, doing it in Blender/GIMP allows you to do all sorts of fun changes to your video. All for free! Feel free to message me with ideas or questions!

Edited by esinohio

Re: Kerbal house

Feel free to make a scene using any of my recent constructs, namely, car, minibus, house, enormous omgroflcopter (coming soon).

I'm thinking of a rendering of a typical Kerbal neighborhood. Let's say, we could call it Real Housewives of Kerbin, set on Hysteria Lane (muahahaha! Desperate Housewives was set on Wisteria Lane!)

Possible sub-scene ideas:

- Valentina & other housewives cooking with a big-s rocket engine (Twin Boar Grill!!)

- Jeb driving a minibus recklessly with lots o kerbal teenagers in the back, while texting and eating. lots of stuff flying off!

- Bob tries to commute to work with a rocket. Crashes through the house leaving a neat hole (looney tunes style)

- Bill tries to fix a broken down Mil V-12 omgroflcopter in his garage. Problem is, its so big it fills up his driveway, the lawn, and blocks the entire street.

I have no idea yet on how to fit all those scenes together. Much of the mayhem can take place in the same house, with the exception of that giant copter spilling over onto the street off one side of the scene, Valentina's garden BBQ party in the lawn, Bob's rocket taking off the roof (commuting with rocket a homage to Robert Heinlein's "Rocket Ship Galileo"), vehicular mayhem with Jeb speeding past leaving half his snacks and passengers on the street.

I think you can scale Kerbals and remove their helmets right? You could make tiny little Kerbal kids and adorable babies for the housewives to carry around. LOL

Edited by pandoras kitten

Re: Kerbal house

Feel free to make a scene using any of my recent constructs, namely, car, minibus, house, enormous omgroflcopter (coming soon).

I'm thinking of a rendering of a typical Kerbal neighborhood. Let's say, we could call it Real Housewives of Kerbin, set on Hysteria Lane (muahahaha! Desperate Housewives was set on Wisteria Lane!)

Possible sub-scene ideas:

- Valentina & other housewives cooking with a big-s rocket engine (Twin Boar Grill!!)

- Jeb driving a minibus recklessly with lots o kerbal teenagers in the back, while texting and eating. lots of stuff flying off!

- Bob tries to commute to work with a rocket. Crashes through the house leaving a neat hole (looney tunes style)

- Bill tries to fix a broken down Mil V-12 omgroflcopter in his garage. Problem is, its so big it fills up his driveway, the lawn, and blocks the entire street.

I have no idea yet on how to fit all those scenes together. Much of the mayhem can take place in the same house, with the exception of that giant copter spilling over onto the street off one side of the scene, Valentina's garden BBQ party in the lawn, Bob's rocket taking off the roof (commuting with rocket a homage to Robert Heinlein's "Rocket Ship Galileo"), vehicular mayhem with Jeb speeding past leaving half his snacks and passengers on the street.

I think you can scale Kerbals and remove their helmets right? You could make tiny little Kerbal kids and adorable babies for the housewives to carry around. LOL

haha! You always manage to come up with some unique ideas. I'll be back from the working vacation next week sometime and then I'll get on both your and AverageJoe's renders. I love the idea of using that big omgroflcopter in a render!

• 2 weeks later...