[1.1.2] EVA Follower [v1.035, 20 May 2016]

MSD

On 04/10/2016 at 10:22 AM, Spark Plug said:

Just installed this and it's working great so far. I noticed something a little spotty though, as when following Kerbals try to keep up with the leader they seem to teleport forward on their path? It happens occasionally when I'm just walking and they lag behind a bit, but if the lead Kerbal goes into a run then the follower will still continue the walking animation and shift forward suddenly every other stride. Is this a point for improvement that you've already noted?

He hasn't been here since May 26th sooooo...

But it's still good to know it works at least somewhat decently. I really hope someone picks up the duty of continuing this because this is probably something needed in stock to make EVA's more fun. :D 

Oh wait, that was for 1.1.3, not 1.2... Yeah, I have just tested and it doesn't work in 1.2 so, anyone willing to recompile this?

1 hour ago, riddik said:

you can update this

If I know how I would, anyhow I had confimation also from MSD ( via mail ), rather than the license itself, he is ok if someone keep updating it as he is not planning to come back

For people who need this in 1.2.1 and can't rebuild:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/1w2dqa8uglblcy2/EvaFollower.zip?dl=0

Replace dll in older release with this one. It is only one line changed to make it compile for 1.2.1, I played with it for a while, seems like it is working. I also made a PR for this, but it is trivial change. Hope it will help to bring attention of author.

Edited by ThirdOfSeven
fix link Dropbox made broken

• 2 weeks later...
On 11/20/2016 at 4:13 PM, ThirdOfSeven said:

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/5113976/KSP/EvaFollower.zip

Replace dll in older release with this one. It is only one line changed to make it compile for 1.2.1, I played with it for a while, seems like it is working. I also made a PR for this, but it is trivial change. Hope it will help to bring attention of author.

Awesome! Is the Kerbal duplication glitch still duplicated?

(When you enter a hatch the Kerbal never enters, but a clone enters and than there is one outside...?)

Thanks!

On 11/21/2016 at 10:13 AM, ThirdOfSeven said:

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/5113976/KSP/EvaFollower.zip

Thankyou! :kiss: I really missed this mod!

Cupcake...

FYI: zip is updated with Release build, so it now comes without "Active kerbals: " text on your screen.

On 11/30/2016 at 5:46 PM, John The Physicist said:

Awesome! Is the Kerbal duplication glitch still duplicated?

I have no idea what is it about (and probably will not/cannot fix it). Just rebuilding here :)

12 hours ago, ThirdOfSeven said:

FYI: zip is updated with Release build, so it now comes without "Active kerbals: " text on your screen.

I have no idea what is it about (and probably will not/cannot fix it). Just rebuilding here :)

Thanks!

Do you have any idea why if you press B while on EVA the kerbal engage RCS ?

1 hour ago, ThirdOfSeven said:

It is hardcoded behaviour for some reason. No comments about it. :(

Thanks for checking, by hardcoded do you mean in the mod? Because in vanilla game without this mod the B wont engage RCS

5 minutes ago, brusura said:

Thanks for checking, by hardcoded do you mean in the mod? Because in vanilla game without this mod the B wont engage RCS

Yes, it is in the mod. It can be easily removed (by editing code/rebuilding), but it is there for some reason and I don't know about it. But probably it is just for fun...

• 2 weeks later...

I've been away a while

@brusura "MSD must be very busy IRL" or external sources delude you to keep busy for them ? Whatever it is; I don't give the kerbal community it would like. Yes I will be (some more) active on GitHub because I consider pushing more to open source than (hidden?) in the first place; I will fix the RCS thing...

@Spark Plug Yes, I noticed; and in fact it is much worse on other planets.... It has to do with the value used to calculate the "movement" of the kerbal; without knowing the calculation used by the game. In the code you will see a "magic number" I multiply it with... instead of "the magic number known for that planet'..  of a method that Squad provide. It doesn’t exists as far as I know.

@monstah (Y) from the get-go. 

@ThirdOfSeven You are stasikos on github ? You made the same statement on one thing; one line fix; but don't forget; one line fix I didn't do.

@John The Physicist "Awesome! Is the Kerbal duplication glitch still duplicated?" Any more information on that issue ?

@brusura

See FAQ: Will they follow you with their jetpacks (where possible)

The B key is from EvaLogic.cs

```

public void Update()
 {
   // ...
   if (Input.GetKeyDown (KeyCode.B)) {

foreach (EvaContainer container in EvaController.instance.collection) {
      container.EVA.PackToggle ();
     }

}

}

```

So yeah, it's embedded; and shoudn't really be there. The attempt was made to allow kerbals to follow with RCS; but the logic was never written.

So a couple of points I would like to mention, I see interest in this mod where I do not have (or too little). So I've added that point on github and see where it goes. I see some free days come up so who knows, I can look into it. I don't play any games really and so this one losses some attention over time. I also compile on linux and never "knows" if the mod works.. works as in outright crash/lag like hell.

When I started this mod I used to use windows and had the Unity SDK installed, haven't look up the state of the Linux SDK... but don't think the Kerbal XYZ World Coordinate make sense from most other games out there, I've seen to many problems with "just" walking from "(-30, 0, 0) to (-30, 0, 30) .... where kerbals walk 45 degree to the sky and upwards slightly. I just need education with this system in order to do anything to do stuff like walking around vessels and such. You can call is an excuse but is one of the reasons I've pushed it on github; Fel written the first prototype; his license allowed me to write my own implementation.

Compatibility was patched by statikos (https://github.com/MarijnStevens/EvaFollower/pull/4). So all props should go to him. I've no known state of mod compatibility. I 'cannot' test it, because it will always be 'Linux, x64bit' with X, Y, Z mod combination.

So to be clear: It's not that I don't care; the following needs to "agree" with me; Some questions/request to get me involved at:

- Find a maintainer more active/amused/ than me. (for the release push)

- Issues should be declared on Github. The repository is over there... we "care" over there.

- I've asked a Squad developer once... but is there any update in "quickly" from loading the game + loading the world + loading the vessel you need to test + to test the thing you require to test". The last time I checked... nothing was done for mod developers to 'automate" the progress, so there weekend didn't  result in much.

- I will create an 1.2.2 update, it will be github only. The major reason is: I used to support the first mod hub; Than they (squard) used Curse; and people leaved from that; So I've pushed to DropBox because of that.. than I used there "alternative" site (community funding, etc). This waste a lot of time, from someone that doesn't feel like doing more than "Check a thing"

The fact is; I can do releases on Github easier. And I do not have to update the other forces/sites. As far as I cam see; GitHub doesn't protect you ( The release .zip/.7z/.rar md5/sha isn;t checked... I can push a virus executable without you knowing that "this" commit is the source... correct me if I am wrong ? ); But it does allow you to clone the ode; make sure it's safe; compile it and use it.

Edited by MSD

• 2 months later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...
This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.