[0.90][WIP] Kerbal Konstructs v0.6.6 (Dec 16) - Static Objects and Launch Sites!

medsouz

wow, not easily impress, good work, will test this out, so we can make custom stuff and slap it in the mod so we can intall it as static? , still new to the game, but got importing stuff from unity down pretty good.

say if I do a new item, lets say a train track :) what would I add in the cfg? right now experimenting. can`t wait to try this out, ty

k, can`t make it work, no instruction , makes it really hard.

Edited by mjy

wow, not easily impress, good work, will test this out, so we can make custom stuff and slap it in the mod so we can intall it as static? , still new to the game, but got importing stuff from unity down pretty good.

say if I do a new item, lets say a train track :) what would I add in the cfg? right now experimenting. can`t wait to try this out, ty

k, can`t make it work, no instruction , makes it really hard.

I haven't had time to write a manual yet, most of KerbTown's (the mod that I am replicating) manual applies for Kerbal Konstructs though if you want to look at that.

https://docs.google.com/file/d/0B99SKez9WSfhUGN4NHJBWHgwOFk/edit

I just responded to a bunch of comments / requests from Divico and I figured I should share it to show everyone what I've been planning.

-------------------------------------------------

• selected „ANY“ while creating a new launchpad, „VAB“ was written in the .cfg
  • entered picture name, nothing was written in the cfg.

Strange, I'll look into fixing those.

• DefaultLaunchPadTransform = XY in the original .cfg (in STATIC, not INSTANCES). KK didn't delete it: Sent to space when starting from that pad. Deleting the line manualy solved the issue.

I'll try to replicate this

• Mouse zoom needs to be exponential: larger zoom steps the further away. I tried to zoom out on my 2km x 2km ground object...

I plan to rewrite the editor camera stuff at some point.

• KerbTown's clickable move-speed buttons were very handy.

Have you tried changing the increment?

Also the rotation slider for general adjustment. Fine tuning with numbers is fine.

I plan to add that at some point, I wrote the editor GUI in a really ....ty way compared to everything else though so its going to be a pain to modify it.

• If possible: align newly created object east/west or north/south. And/or display the actual orientation (NESW).

I'm not 100% sure on how to calculate that but I'll look into it.

• Kerbal Konstruct Editor GUI: Use the whole with of the window for the object list. Buttons on top or bottom. Align text to left on the buttons in the list.

Good idea.

• Because of the Unity „click-through“ issue, the launch site selection window needs to be off-center. I recommend lower right corner, this would also save some „mouse kilometers“ since the window doesn't have an OK or close button.

I'm looking into seeing how the open craft window prevents clickthroughs.

• If you implement Toolbar support (the mod version), I could place the Launch site selector button close to the actual Launch button. Personal preference...

I had no plans to add Toolbar support but if it isn't too difficult I guess I could.

• A way to quickly identify the current launchpad is needed. A tooltip over the KK icon and the launch icon. KerbTown's on screen message seems a bit rude, but it's very usefull.

How about display a notification in the bottom right where the quicksave message usually pops up?

• Is there a way for me to influence the sort order of the listed launch sites? I guess it's alphabethical of the .cfg files. I'll test that :-)

I'm going to add sorting / categories to the launch selector in the future

• „Set this Launch Site as default“ for VAB and SPH would be awsome!

I was going to make it remember the last selected site. Maybe I could have default launch sites for custom space centers if I get that working.

I still consider lauch pad clearance the most important issue. Even a „hack“ would do:

„Warning: Everything on the Launch Pad will be blown up!

[Proceed] [back to VAB/SPH]“

I'm trying to see if I can get the stock launch site cleanup to work.

@medsouz: base orientation (E/W N/S) are mandatory I might say, for runways. What is the 0 angle ? If it' north, getting these would be easy. Unfortunately Kerbtown angle slider doesn't display any value :(. But a slider + a textfield is needed, slider is too "fuzzy" (due to mouse control only without <> button for more precision).

For cleaning, look at the log, KSP check for garbage before launch, remove them if needed, see PreFlightTests.LaunchSiteClear.

Finally, "click through" issue is also in the stock game, so it is either a bad use of layers, or it is not possible yet.

Is there any plug-in which have a window really "opaque" ? This may be a solid lead.

Using "information"/on-screen info is not welcome, the layer is bad (the same as UI hidden) so always annoying for taking screenshots.

ty for the link medsouz, no it was my cfg I think, redid it and whoohoo got it in the game, would be nice to get the editor to use more angles, like can u move the object like lay it down, I can only move it from left to right and change the angle? and move it around? I`f I put a railing u are really restricted in your movement, prob could fix the angle in 3dmax, city building is great, I can see my futuristic building going up somewhere :)

the railing for the train is the hardest to lay down I think, the train I got an idea how to make it work... oh just tried to reload the ksp ingame with the debug mode, didn`t work??

Edited by mjy

The mod seems to be shaping up nicely. Good work. :) Very much needed. Do you know if there would be any possibility in future of this mod allowing definition of environment and biomes within a given space? I would very much like to have an underwater tunnel, but without kerbals drowning in it. And is it possible to define a biome for anything in contact with a mesh, like how experiments done when a craft is on the runway are 'at the Runway'? I've no idea if these things are within the realm of what this mod can do, but thought I'd ask.

The mod seems to be shaping up nicely. Good work. :) Very much needed. Do you know if there would be any possibility in future of this mod allowing definition of environment and biomes within a given space? I would very much like to have an underwater tunnel, but without kerbals drowning in it. And is it possible to define a biome for anything in contact with a mesh, like how experiments done when a craft is on the runway are 'at the Runway'? I've no idea if these things are within the realm of what this mod can do, but thought I'd ask.

It might be possible but I have no plans to even attempt that any time soon.

well plans have fail to add a train, like everyone else its harder then it seems. I tried the repulse under, next to the bullet train, w/o any luck, as the repulsers glide very well, but touching parts of the track is prob what is making it stop

adding tracks is prob the easiest lol, great mod, will fool around with it some more

Finally got around to messing around with this and I'm loving it! My only issue (which has existed for months, sadly) is that I can't save objects. I get an NRE whenever I click the "Save Objects" button, and I had this issue back with Kerbtown in 0.24.

Any ideas as to what's going on? Here's a mod list in case you know of any incompatibilities:

6rDQhDg.png

Edit: Tried using Kerbal Konstructs alone and still the same issue. I'm going to try deleting the old ktinstances.txt file from my save game to see if that helps.

Edit 2: Nope, still getting NREs when I try to save. Are there major differences in how the objects are handled compared to Kerbtown that is causing this breakage, or am I just incompetent?

Edited by OrbitusII

Finally got around to messing around with this and I'm loving it! My only issue (which has existed for months, sadly) is that I can't save objects. I get an NRE whenever I click the "Save Objects" button, and I had this issue back with Kerbtown in 0.24.

Any ideas as to what's going on? Here's a mod list in case you know of any incompatibilities:

http://i.imgur.com/6rDQhDg.png

Edit: Tried using Kerbal Konstructs alone and still the same issue. I'm going to try deleting the old ktinstances.txt file from my save game to see if that helps.

Edit 2: Nope, still getting NREs when I try to save. Are there major differences in how the objects are handled compared to Kerbtown that is causing this breakage, or am I just incompetent?

Set VERBOSE_DEBUG_LOG to True in your settings.cfg and find the source of the NRE for me.

Uh, I have a few problems with this:

When I click on the icon on the bottom in the VAB (Haven't tried the Spaceplane hanger yet), I only see the vertical VAB-like launch sites, and I only have KerbinSide, so where are the runways, helipads, and other stuff? I got the all in one pack. Okay, i read the OP, but I seriously hate that "Restrict custom launch sites" feature, I mean, it's easier to build vertical space shuttles in the SPH, but then I can't use this to launch from the launch pad? Is there a way to remove that feature which does not involve going through each every cfg?

And, after you exit the VAB, go to the main menu, and go into another save (A career save), the KK icon just disappears. I tried this in the spaceplane hanger, the other saves I have, etc. and it's not there. And I think you can only fix that by quiting KSP and restarting it. Which is long and tedious with the amount of mods I have. (Yes, I have ActiveTextureManagment)

I have Windows 8, KSP 0.24.2, 32 bit.

Set VERBOSE_DEBUG_LOG to True in your settings.cfg and find the source of the NRE for me.

Here's the NRE when saving:

[Exception]: NullReferenceException: Object reference not set to an instance of an object
KerbalKonstructs.KerbalKonstructs.saveObjects ()
KerbalKonstructs.UI.EditorGUI.drawEditorWindow (Int32 id)
UnityEngine.GUI.CallWindowDelegate (UnityEngine.WindowFunction func, Int32 id, UnityEngine.GUISkin _skin, Int32 forceRect, Single width, Single height, UnityEngine.GUIStyle style)

I got a NRE too with something weird.

After a while (not sure what are the steps to reproduce this 100% of the time), one building disappear from space center view, and:

NullReferenceException: Object reference not set to an instance of an object

at KerbalKonstructs.KerbalKonstructs.updateCache () [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0

When going back from flight to editor.

There is nothing more than that.

The building is my bigger launch pad (see my sig if you want to try this one) made for Kerbtown.

KK 0.2.1, KSP 0.24.2 32b, win 7

(don't forget our beloved friend Murphy, when it could failed, it will surely fail ! So expect everything to fail in your code)

Edited by Justin Kerbice

is the save option implemented ingame yet? I can`t save the object I add in, i quit the game , reload it , nothing is left, buildings are all gone?i can`t highlight the “Save Sesionâ€Â.

Edited by mjy

is the save option implemented ingame yet? I can`t save the object I add in, i quit the game , reload it , nothing is left, buildings are all gone?i can`t highlight the “Save Sesionâ€Â.

The save objects button works.

I got a NRE too with something weird.

After a while (not sure what are the steps to reproduce this 100% of the time), one building disappear from space center view, and:

When going back from flight to editor.

There is nothing more than that.

The building is my bigger launch pad (see my sig if you want to try this one) made for Kerbtown.

KK 0.2.1, KSP 0.24.2 32b, win 7

(don't forget our beloved friend Murphy, when it could failed, it will surely fail ! So expect everything to fail in your code)

Big Report: If I transfer a craft file from another save the KK button disappears from the VAB and SPH.

Any idea on what's happening?

This same thing (Justice's issue) happens to me, but I think that Cygnus's issue may be related.

What happens in my game is that on the space center screen, everything disappears, and the button disappears from the toolbar in both the SPH and VAB. I'll try to get a log, is there anything special you'd like for me to do to get more information from the log itself?

The save objects button works.

One situation where it doesn't work is when you have improperly defined the LaunchPadTransform

So it loads now, just played around with it for a bit yesterday.

Next question is the code support. With Kerbtown I was able to use code with the objects, I haven't had any luck yet but I only tried the dll once so I'll be doing more bug squashing today.

Could you zip up all the KerbTown addons in your GameData and send them to me? I'm having a lot of trouble replicating your issue.

Those'll be heading your way in a few, although the issue seems to be consistent no matter what KerbTown assets I try to save. I'm using 32-bit KSP 0.24.2 with Konstructs version 0.2.1 if that helps. I'm also on Windows 7 Home Premium (64-bit OS) and running KSP independent of Steam.

I'm gonna try running KSP as an admin to see if that solves anything. (I don't know why I'm not by default since this is my gorram computer...)

Edit: Running as admin did nothing, still the same issue.

Edited by OrbitusII

Next question is the code support. With Kerbtown I was able to use code with the objects, I haven't had any luck yet but I only tried the dll once so I'll be doing more bug squashing today.

Yeah I was just being silly, I have some stuff running now, I have my airport refuelling aircraft which taxi and park in a designated spot. I'll likely be using this for my next video. I'll probably add more things first... like palm trees blowing in the wind and seagulls circling overhead. ;) lol

Later.