[0.90][WIP] Kerbal Konstructs v0.6.6 (Dec 16) - Static Objects and Launch Sites!

medsouz

If your wanting what I think you do this still works. Would Probably be a good idea to have something like this at other locations to....

I was thinking that, but also thinking static bases. I wanted to put a static water base with a docking port to land on and transfer resources.

Regarding Ashlain feature (unlocking launch site before being able to use them, and even be aware of their existence) I think it could be good this way:

- go to the location (spotted by ScanSat satellite or found by chance),

- drop a kerbal, explore

- "unlock"/"activate" the site (new EVA command) => take a look at KAS source for how to to this

(- eventually find something, like a switch, to be able to do this, which may add a kind of exploration gameplay)

How it could be done:

- each building have a unlocked (bool) data OR a persistent list of launch site is kept with the status of each launchsite

- when a launchsite is unlocked/activated, the list is updated

- the launch button is refreshed with the new site

Regarding Ashlain feature (unlocking launch site before being able to use them, and even be aware of their existence) I think it could be good this way:

- go to the location (spotted by ScanSat satellite or found by chance),

- drop a kerbal, explore

- "unlock"/"activate" the site (new EVA command) => take a look at KAS source for how to to this

(- eventually find something, like a switch, to be able to do this, which may add a kind of exploration gameplay)

How it could be done:

- each building have a unlocked (bool) data OR a persistent list of launch site is kept with the status of each launchsite

- when a launchsite is unlocked/activated, the list is updated

- the launch button is refreshed with the new site

Well I wouldn't want it to get too complicated. Simply landing there is good enough to say it's been explored. Obviously the author is going to implement it how he wants, but I think it could be a great new gameplay mechanic and I would hate to see it get bogged down by too much tedium. Good ideas, but trying to find hidden switches seems more of chore than fun to me.

I was thinking maybe in Sandbox you have all the sites by default, in Science you have to find them, and in career you can research the ability to launch at new sites.

In career, I'd like to see unlocking launch sites as a funds sink-hole. A location's 'traits' could determine it's cost to unlock: distance from KSC, vicinity to a pole or the equator, recovery distance modifier (basically, have a weighting on a base's recovery rate), modifier to craft cost for launching (+ or - a %). The features of a base would then influence those traits. So a helipad would mean better recovery rate. A VAB would mean reduced launch costs (because the craft can be more easily re-assembled after the parts have been shipped from KSC) etc.

You could even have a 'risk' trait that influences rep rewards for missions launched from a base, and a 'science' trait for missions launched from a particular base. If a base has research facilities of its own, it's going to be able to take some of the load off KSC for data analysis, meaning a small bonus to science gained from a mission launched from that base.

Edited by AlphaAsh

I was thinking maybe in Sandbox you have all the sites by default, in Science you have to find them, and in career you can research the ability to launch at new sites.

That would be fine if you meant in career you have to find and research/purchase them. I don't play science, I want to have to find them in career. That would be my preference anyway.

Something strange, Kosmodrome mod doesn't work with it.;.;

Are you sure it works with KerbTown. Sounds like a silly question but it is a WIP, it could bugged. I ask because Kerbin City works and it hasn't been updated to KK yet either.

Something strange, Kosmodrome mod doesn't work with it.;.;

What exactly isn't working?

The clickable floodlights don't work with Kerbal Konstructs, medsouz hasn't implemented it yet. AnimateOnClick is on the "Commong soon" list in the first post.

Will there be a fix for sites like KerbTown that don't use LaunchPadTransform like Kerbin City?

I added support for Kerbin City in the last release and in the next release will have a fix for even older KerbTown addons like the missile silo.

Seem to have an issue getting the ctrl+k menu to come up. Is there anything needed other than a kerbal/vessel in the area to get this to work... I've messed with Kerbtown a lot in the past so I though this would be a simple test... :)

Check my PM. :wink:

I added support for Kerbin City in the last release and in the next release will have a fix for even older KerbTown addons like the missile silo.

Check my PM. :wink:

Thanks you're right, I somehow unpacked the wrong zip and now I feel silly. I'll check this out and post some stuff back here.

How do you use KerbinKonstructs?

There is a button on the app launcher/toolbar while in the VAP/SPH to choose where you want to launch. Your experience will vary based on what else you have installed, such as Kerbin City, KSC++, and KerbinSide

What exactly isn't working?

The clickable floodlights don't work with Kerbal Konstructs, medsouz hasn't implemented it yet. AnimateOnClick is on the "Commong soon" list in the first post.

There is no Kosmodrome launchpads in the VAB. :c

Edit: Checked with the new version, everything works fine. Thanks for the good job!

I just released an update to fix a major saving issue that AlphaAsh found.

Grab the update from KerbalStuff

v0.2.1 (9/18/14)

• Fixed major saving issue
  • Added launch site transform fallback mode for older KerbTown objects like the ICBM silo

Thanks for the update, may we have more info on this "major" issue please ?

Justin, don't worry chap. It was only major in that KerbinSide had a lot of non-critical data in a lot of configs that got wiped. It just caused some minor inconvenience and isn't going to be much effort to restore the configs. For those content devs with only a handful of launch locations to set-up, it'll be even less of an inconvenience if they run in to it. I'll be checking the new version today and I expect it's been resolved anyway.

Specifics wise, it was a bug linked to object saving and file writes to static config files edited by KK.

Major as in I wrote the wrong config name down for the site type, description, and logo causing them to be deleted when you save objects.