Samsung 840 EVO and 840 user suffers serious preformance degradation over time

pa1983

Yes people tested that. People that wants to know more should read trough the overclock.net thread. They are implementing such fuctions in those test programs to do just that. But rewriting data restores performance. So if you have some way of doing that it should work as a temporary fix. But expect the problem to return in a few months.

This is also the reason I think Samsung could make a fix like that part of ware leveling. Either move data after X amount of time or do a read the of LBA's sequentially at idle and rewrite any slow data. If the degradation happens after average 2 months that would mean it cost you 6 PE cycles per cell a year assuming the cells have data stored so a small fraction of the 1000 PE cycles per cell would be used every year.

This is also the reason I think Samsung could make a fix like that part of ware leveling. Either move data after X amount of time or do a read the of LBA's sequentially at idle and rewrite any slow data. If the degradation happens after average 2 months that would mean it cost you 6 PE cycles per cell a year assuming the cells have data stored so a small fraction of the 1000 PE cycles per cell would be used every year.

Well, I could imagine that older cells have shorter and shorter performance retention, so that is something for Samsung to work out. I can also imagine they have a little more in depth knowledge and tools of what is possibly going on, so maybe other solutions are viable too. Fiddling with internal voltages, makes changes to the ECC mechanism, stuff like that. Another question is whether slow data is unreliable data, as that is, in reality, a much bigger issue.

The good thing is that this seems end user fixable (via a script or program shuffling the data around), so even in the unlikely case that Samsung denies any and all responsibility there is a way to live with the problem.

Well only a fraction of users would know about the problem and fewer would user a fix. In the end I dont think its viable option. I will clam manufacturer fault here in Sweden either its covered by samsung or not here in Sweden any product with a proven manufacturing fault you can send back for a replacement. And if they cant fix it well then they have to refund you. And I already spoken with one of my resellers and with the amount off evidence it should not be a issue they told me. All they wanted are links to threads to confirm that more people are effected then by law they are obligated to help me. And if samsung wont release a fix I can skip the howl replacement product step the law allows the reseller to take if its a possibility. Theres no way a reseller can fix a broken SSD.

Well I ended up ordering replacement Crucial MX100 for all effected systems I built.

Anandtechs wrote in there comments to the new sandisk SLC drive that they have information they will reveal in a few days about the 840 /840 EVO bug so I would stay tunned to that web page the next few days and see what happens.

No samsung realy wants to keep a lid on things as much as they can. Never samsung again for that reason. Customer support is just terible. It was good before I think. When I got a bad LCD monitor 5 years ago or something they sent a brand new one out ASAP after a phone call. But the new 3:e party support that dont have any contact with samsung just sucks so much. The retailers I spoken with confirms that the end user has no chance realy with there support nowdays. They are to big on retailer told me.

The fact that people like me and hundred of others have made us heard eventually triggered tech sites to write about it.

Nordichardware thanked me for the brining it up and helping them best I could collecting more data for there article.

But it sad that it took almost 2 months before samsung responded to the uproar from frustrated users.

Never Samsung Again!

Sweclockers responded to one of my e-mails but never none of the later once with anandtechs article etc.

But they wrote an article finally about it.

its like 200K swedish users in there forum so. Any news there gets attention.

http://www.sweclockers.com/nyhet/19362-samsung-840-och-840-evo-ssd-lider-av-prestandaproblem

• 3 weeks later...
This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.