Get to the Mun with only solid rocket boosters.

The CFG files can be modified. You\'ll have to know exactly how long each burn needs to be and then modify the boosters accordingly so that you can orbit Kerbin, make TLI and then orbit the Mun. You don\'t need to land, as that probably wouldn\'t be possible. But orbit or free return trajectory is required.

To accomplish this, you must be able to get pulled in by the Mun\'s gravity with just SRBs and no RCS.

Ar7nn.jpg

But seriously, this is hard. I could just edit the cfgs so its super easy. (Right? you said i could!) But without editing this is impossible.

Ar7nn.jpg

But seriously, this is hard. I could just edit the cfgs so its super easy. (Right? you said i could!) But without editing this is impossible.

You HAVE to edit CFG files. Because each booster and ONLY burn precisely as long as each maneuver requires. Say a TLI takes 38 seconds (Mine do), you have to edit the booster on that stage so that it only burns for 38 seconds.

Close-ish :D

I have no idea how get closer the rocket booster require to get that burnt out capsule there was made enough I had to do the translunar burn just in atmo because its the only way I could get the speed need to get to the moon....

• 2 weeks later...

I crashed my 20 SRB craft into the Mun, does that count? :D

Anyways, it is possible to make orbit around the Mun with SRB\'s only. However, the instruments we have may be too inaccurate. I had this problem when trying to make orbit around Kerbin with SRB\'s only. I\'d get the trajectory right but i had to do a lot of re-runs because i was not able to set the heading precisely at the horizon. Setting the heading for the Mun will likely require much more precision.

*grumble*

The difference between falling short of the Mün\'s SOI, and overshooting it is something like 36 m/s. For the amount of velocity we have to burn through to hit LKO (and TMI), this difference can easily be caused by alignment errors.

• 2 weeks later...
This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.