[1.1] QuantumStrutsContinued 1.6 - Magical Struts for Rigidifying Outside the VAB!

toadicus

QuantumStrutsContinued is the continuation of QuantumStruts by BoJan, providing a set of toggleable, magical strut parts to assist in construction outside the assembly buildings.

Also includes a set of ModuleManager patches by K3|Chris for adding KAS functionality to the strut parts. ModuleManager and KAS not included.

DEVELOPMENT NOTE:

I have adopted this mod for maintenance only and am not actively developing it. That said, if you find a problem or have a request, feel free to ask and I'll see if it fits in my schedule. :)

DOWNLOADS:

SpaceDock: [zip]
Not SpaceDock: [zip] [tar.gz] [tar.xz] 

CHARITY:

Do you like what you see here so much that you can't imagine downloading it without first parting with your hard-earned money? If so, this specially-crafted PayPal donation button will help you to take the currency of your choice and make it my money instead of your money. More seriously though: donations are 100% optional and entirely at your own discretion. If you do choose to donate, I'll appreciate it!

btn_donate_LG.gif

LEGAL:

QuantumStrutsContinued

Continued from QuantumStruts by BoJaN. Used by permission.
ModuleManager patches © 2014 K3|Chris. Used by permission.

Copyright © 2014-2015, toadicus

All rights reserved.

Redistribution and use in source and binary forms, with or without modification,
are permitted provided that the following conditions are met:

1.  Redistributions of source code must retain the above copyright notice,
    this list of conditions and the following disclaimer.

2.  Redistributions in binary form must reproduce the above copyright notice,
    this list of conditions and the following disclaimer in the documentation and/or other
    materials provided with the distribution.

THIS SOFTWARE IS PROVIDED BY THE COPYRIGHT HOLDERS AND CONTRIBUTORS "AS IS" AND ANY EXPRESS OR IMPLIED WARRANTIES,
INCLUDING, BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANTABILITY AND FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE ARE
DISCLAIMED. IN NO EVENT SHALL THE COPYRIGHT HOLDER OR CONTRIBUTORS BE LIABLE FOR ANY DIRECT, INDIRECT, INCIDENTAL,
SPECIAL, EXEMPLARY, OR CONSEQUENTIAL DAMAGES (INCLUDING, BUT NOT LIMITED TO, PROCUREMENT OF SUBSTITUTE GOODS OR
SERVICES; LOSS OF USE, DATA, OR PROFITS; OR BUSINESS INTERRUPTION) HOWEVER CAUSED AND ON ANY THEORY OF LIABILITY,
WHETHER IN CONTRACT, STRICT LIABILITY, OR TORT ARISING IN ANY WAY OUT OF THE USE
OF THIS SOFTWARE, EVEN IF ADVISED OF THE POSSIBILITY OF SUCH DAMAGE.

Edited by toadicus
Updated to version 1.6

agreed, i hate how the vanilla struts leave those hideous clamp piece on my ships... this mod is glorious, and good to see it back up and running, good work toadicus

one question does this have both the blue scifi and grey normal strut lines in this pack (i'm at work)

agreed, i hate how the vanilla struts leave those hideous clamp piece on my ships... this mod is glorious, and good to see it back up and running, good work toadicus

one question does this have both the blue scifi and grey normal strut lines in this pack (i'm at work)

I haven't removed any of the parts as delivered in the original, but someday maybe I'll get rid of the deprecated bits (like the core) and make the color tweakable instead of part-specific.

I haven't removed any of the parts as delivered in the original, but someday maybe I'll get rid of the deprecated bits (like the core) and make the color tweakable instead of part-specific.

Didn't you already deprecate the core in the continuation package you released for 23.5? It wasn't bundled with that one (and I don't think it was missed either :) )

Didn't you already deprecate the core in the continuation package you released for 23.5? It wasn't bundled with that one (and I don't think it was missed either :) )

I appear to have obliterated my old archives, so you may know better than I do. :P But, it's definitely in this version. It doesn't now, and as I recall it didn't then, have a TechRequired entry, so you will only see it in sandbox mode. It exists solely to not break ships that already had it.

If only it didn't have... adverse reactions... with no-physics parts like the little girder "struts", and apparently for some reason the Oscar B fuel tanks. Don't mount these struts on or aim them at such parts - unless you like having your spacecraft parts spread across the solar system at high speed when you try to warp or use Hyperedit - or having your ship be uncontrollable or becoming a whirling dervish spinning so fast even KJR can't keep it together. The effects only happen if the struts are active.

The really odd thing was I had been testing with the quantum struts mounted on some Oscar B tanks without a problem, then suddenly... Might have been aimed at some ReStock 5-way RCS blocks... nope, no Physics Significance line in those. Dunno why! I'll just not have them anywhere in contact with those small tanks again.

Should you decided to mod the mod, the Strut Guns have an issue the Quantum Struts don't. If you assemble docking ports face to face (or stick another part to a port) then aim Strut Guns across the join, they will not release on Decouple Node, but the Quantum struts used that way will.

Both auto-release on an Undock so the Strut Guns must be deactivated before doing the initial Decouple Node but thereafter can be left activated. It's quite, interesting, to have a rocket pulled apart during ascent as some Strut Guns stretch wayyyyy out keeping dropped parts connected.

Edited by Galane

is possible to embed quantum struts in parts with "TransformName =" field? would multiple strut points require multiple modules or will it work for all transforms of the same name? will the module have issues for power consumption of 0?

Also oddly enough, I have ships with both the neon blue struts and the lighter grey Q-struts. The normal struts are darker. The lighter Q-struts are attached to a sub-assembly that I keep reusing. Again, still using the latest "old" release.

is possible to embed quantum struts in parts with "TransformName =" field? would multiple strut points require multiple modules or will it work for all transforms of the same name? will the module have issues for power consumption of 0?

As far as I know, if you add the QuantumStrut module to a part with a named transform and name that transform in the TransformName field, you should have a working strut originating from that transform. But, I didn't design or build the parts; those are all still BoJaN's, and in fact have never designed or built a part, so I'm not very qualified. If you have an example that you'd like to me to fiddle around with and see what I can make happen, I'm happy to do so.

I'm also using an old version from .20 or maybe .21.... Is there any difference in this "updated" version?

The code base hasn't had any meaningful changes since May 7th, 2014. There have been a few minor updates under the hood since then, but if your version is still working you're not missing out on any awesome new functionality. The only possible exception is K3|Chris and I added KASifyQSC a bit later in the game, so if you use Kerbal Attachment System and don't have the KASifyQSC.cfg patch, you're missing the KAS functionality.

How do you install this mod properly. There is no Read me and going off the obvious copy paste method of the folders didn't work for me.

There's nothing special. I've installed several times on different game installs. All I ever did was extract the QuantumStrutsContinued folder into the GameData folder and it works! There must be something unique with your present setup. You may have gotten a corrupt download. Good luck

I seem to have a unique issue. I installed the mod, the struts appear in my parts catalog and I can place them normally, but they don't seems to actually do anything. No effects in the VAB or on the launchpad, right clicking doesn't bring up anything, and there's no valid actions for the action groups. I'm baffled.

I seem to have a unique issue. I installed the mod, the struts appear in my parts catalog and I can place them normally, but they don't seems to actually do anything. No effects in the VAB or on the launchpad, right clicking doesn't bring up anything, and there's no valid actions for the action groups. I'm baffled.

Did you unpack the plugin DLL along with the parts? If you're sure you have it installed right, I'll need a log to comment further.

Windows: \path\to\KSP_win\KSP_Data\output_log.txt; Linux: ~/.config/unity3d/Squad/Kerbal\ Space\ Program/Player.log; Mac: ~/Library/Logs/Unity/Player.log

Put it up on paste in, Dropbox, your private server, or however you like to share text online, and link it here or in a pm to me. :)

Strangely, no. I didn't think to check that. I just did the ol' drag and drop with the GameData folder. Somehow the .dll didn't make it-- actually. My antivirus nuked it without warning. Imagine my surprise when I extracted the .dll a second time only to see it vanish without prompt. It really doesn't like KSP mods.

But, that fixed it. Thank you for what should have been obvious troubleshooting!

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...