[0.25]The Colliders Strike Back v1.0.1: Intra-vessel part collisions are back!

ferram4

The Colliders Strike Back

------------------

What it does:

This disables an optimization / improvement made early in KSP's history that disabled all intra-vessel part collisions.

Parts will not collide with themselves (to avoid issues with landing gear or cargo bays that are dependent on this functioning well), but will collide with other parts on the vessel where they previously did not. Part-clippers beware! This can be used for experiments into the nature of collisions, avoid issues with payloads clipping through payload fairings / cargo bays, and general mayhem.

Source at Github

Licensed MIT

Warning:

This has the capacity to destroy any vehicle that includes part clipping as an integral part of the design. Any and all vehicles launched / created before this was installed may spontaneously explode if they are dependent on intra-vessel collisions being disabled. It will also make part-induced framerate drops and time slowdowns a lot nastier, due to the extra expense of all the collider calculations. You have been warned.

Edited by ferram4

When you say won't collide with themselves, are you literally talking collisions only within the part, or are you preventing collisions between parts which are parent/child to one another? Some parts like B9's landing gear for instance are designed to be embedded into other parent parts.

I can see this being useful for carriers with internal docking, but otherwise I'm not sure whats being achieved here though. If someone doesn't want part clipping in their game, they just won't use part clipping tricks. They won't need a mod for it.

I'm not sure why one would even want this, honestly. The nature of many parts in the game is that they're SUPPOSED to clip into other parts, such as the B9 landing gear mentioned by TT above.

Not that I'm trying to discourage the development or use of such a mod, but I truly do not understand the need for it. I have enough trouble with part-clipping in the game as it is (B9 shielded docking port, I'm looking at you! Yes, you!!) without trying to make it almost impossible, lol.

Anyway, my $0.02. :)

Only collisions within parts. Preventing collisions between parents and children would be self-defeating.

The reason it exists is because Scott Manley asked if it could be done as part of dealing with issues of parts clipping through cargo bays and payload fairings.

Only collisions within parts. Preventing collisions between parents and children would be self-defeating.

The reason it exists is because Scott Manley asked if it could be done as part of dealing with issues of parts clipping through cargo bays and payload fairings.

Wow you actually set work on something I was meaning to do after IR 0.19. I'm assuming this will work with infernal robotics? This could be a huge mod win for me.

Is it possible to do this in a highly limited way so that it applies to SP+ cargo bays but nothing else? My framerate is low enough already, but it would be nice to fix the "holographic cargo bay door" thing. Or would that only resolve half of the issue?

Had a roll through the source as I've wanted to know how Unity intercollider stuff works for a long time. From that what I've learned there I'd say yes, this is possible to do. It's just a matter of telling every collider in the cargo bay to collide with every collider thats not part of it and setting it up via partmodules rather than in the global manner it is now. I would also consider telling it not to collide with the colliders of the parts on the node infront and behind.

This Ferram would be a lot more useful implementation of your mod. Turning all collisions on is just resource hogging and would break other parts designed for clipping.

One of the problems I encountered recently, was landing helicopters on floating Karbonite platforms, and then trying to refuel them. When the platform and helicopter become as one, the helo fell through the deck. I was really hoping this mod would prevent that, but sadly, most of my ships rely on just a wee bit of clipping. Stuff that I certainly wouldn't consider cheating or hacking, but enough to make them nearly unusable.

Ferram, if you could find a way to make this mod work only with wheels or landing legs, that would seriously rock, and solve the dilema of the floating Laythe mining platform I've always dreamed of. :)

I've been absent for a few months but this pulls me back in ... Exactly what I was hoping for! Now I can finally build internal combustion engines without having to fix debris in place! Thank you so much!!

Edited by Azimech

I'm not sure why one would even want this, honestly. The nature of many parts in the game is that they're SUPPOSED to clip into other parts, such as the B9 landing gear mentioned by TT above.

Not that I'm trying to discourage the development or use of such a mod, but I truly do not understand the need for it. I have enough trouble with part-clipping in the game as it is (B9 shielded docking port, I'm looking at you! Yes, you!!) without trying to make it almost impossible, lol.

Anyway, my $0.02. :)

well, i remember back in 0.15 or 0.16 era, some constructs with damned robotics (predecessor to infernal robotics) used same vessel part collisions as design. and i do like the fact that you can have same vessel part collisions in 0.24 now with this mod, but i would like it to be changeable in the VAB for each separate part, so you can have B9 landing gear toggled off, and for other parts toggled on.

• 2 weeks later...

It would be nice to be able to switch it on and off on a per vessel basis, or even for each part in a vessel. When using Infernal Robotics free moving joints it is nice if parts do not move through each other, so this is very useful if it can be controlled better.

Is there a way collider detection can be improved or is it a Unity issue? I'm scaling down and the smaller the parts become, the more the colliders fail.

I also encountered when playing with physics delta time that the lower the value, the better. With higher values collisions don't work at all. Might there be a hidden option to get the value lower than 0.3?

Edit: I've downloaded Time Control. Let's see if it works.

Another edit: It doesn't.

Edited by Azimech

• 2 months later...
This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.