[0.25]The Colliders Strike Back v1.0.1: Intra-vessel part collisions are back!

ferram4

This has a lot of potential. Other users have mentioned it before me, but it would be great if we could apply this to select parts. That cargo doors clip through attached parts is something that isn't game breaking for me, but one of the problems i have with the lack of intra-vessel collision is when I use KAS to secure a rover or probe in the cargo hold of a (space)plane. Using KAS to "dock it", then using (quantum) struts to keep it in place you can take stuff everywhere with a minimum of shenanigans, but the problem comes in when it is time to release the rover, because it'll fall through the floor the moment you "undock".

I dont know if a version of this mod could rectify that or if it is something KAS needs to work out, but i'll watch this space for a "tweakable" version. :D

• 8 months later...

Just discovered this mod from a comment in the better boyancy thread, really cool mod, I was thinking about this very problem earlier, Nice to see others are thinking about it too, I've had exactly the same problem with things hanging out of cargo bays, and it just wouldn't do for the "ultimate realistic education build" of KSP I'd like to put together in the future.

Why would disabling collision for parts attached directly to each other defeat the object of the mod, in stopping things hanging out of cargo bays?

Wouldn't the part be connected to a docking port/decoupler, THEN the cargo bay? So it would not collide with the docking port/decoupler but would still collide with the cargo bay which it is not directly connected to.

That way you could save a lot on the performance due to every part in the craft NOT colliding with every other part attached to it, which I would imagine would be a LOT of constant never ending collision throughout the ENTIRE vessel if they did.

And landing gear that clips inside the part it attaches to would not have collision issues.

Yet still have most of the realistic benefits of intra vessel collision, Stuff stays inside Fairings and cargo bays, robotic arms won't pass through the rest of the craft (another pet hate of mine).

Anyhow, I've contributed to Ferram's coffee fund via the donation button on the FAR thread, as I really support the idea this mod is going for :-)

• 7 months later...
  • 7 months later...
  • 1 year later...
  • 7 months later...
1 hour ago, Katten said:

@whale_2

Hey there, did you ever do a rewrite of this?
I am currently pretty far along with a solution for it.

Sort of. I have a mod in (rather slow) development where I've redone it.

Collision part works OK, restoring lock from save sometimes breaks it.

3 hours ago, whale_2 said:

Sort of. I have a mod in (rather slow) development where I've redone it.

Nice one! Looks great. Mine is the collider function standalone, and works a bit differently, so I think I will go on and release it anyway. 

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.