CCiCap was announced, SpaceX and Boeing were selected

B787_300

afaik that article or the part that identifies SPaceX and Boeing as the Winners was pulled

Yes, now it says that Boeing and SpaceX are expected to win. Which isn't terribly surprising. Boeing and NASA have been in bed together for decades, and SpaceX is actually sending real spacecraft to the ISS today, they just have to man-rate them. Sorry, Sierra Nevada, you were the token third bid. Let's see how reality interfaces with my opinion.

Hmm, you would think that for price competitive reasons they would want to have two companies doing this. If boeing (or SpaceX) wins then then they would get to set the price. Whereas if Nasa tries to kind of go between the two they could at least try to get better prices.

It's the conservative choice. They avoid political pressure and create jobs at NASA facilities by selecting Boeing, and show their will to innovate by selecting the agile young newcomer SpaceX. Plus, these were already the two companies that received the lion's share of funding so far.

But darn, is Mr Bolden awkward. "Here's your long-awaited announcement which I'll drop casually in the middle of a sentence. Now forget that and let me instead talk for 10 minutes about stuff NASA has been doing so it doesn't look too embarrassing that we're handing away human spaceflight capability to the private sector."

NOOOOOOO, DREAM CHASER :(

That's unfortunate. SpaceX, yeah, that's great, but Boeing? I've seen very little of the CST-100. At least SNC made Dream Chaser a little more noticed, and I'm not saying that simply because I favour Dream Chaser over both Dragon (I still like Dragon, good ship) and CST; I have genuinely heard near enough to nothing about progress on CST-100. I'm sure Boeing have produced a good little spacecraft (it's Boeing, after all :P), but they could have made a better effort to show it off.

Of course, I could have just missed all of their updates on it, but considering me, I don't think that's likely.

Oh well, there is still interest in the mini-shuttle for other space agencies, so it's probably not the end... I hope :)

Possibly. There is Japanese and German interest.

Only in supporting the spacecraft. Not funding it themselves.

For me it's the most disappointing result of all possible, though TBH: I'm not surprised. SNC didn't have the lobbying power that SpaceX and Boeing do, so even if their design could be most profitable in a long term - money and conservative approach won once again.

That's unfortunate. SpaceX, yeah, that's great, but Boeing? I've seen very little of the CST-100.

Boeing met all of the goals on time and within budgets.

It doesn't matter what "public" can see.

Of course, I could have just missed all of their updates on it, but considering me, I don't think that's likely.

Well, unlucky you, I guess, cause that's exactly what happened.

Edited by Sky_walker

For me it's the most disappointing result of all possible, though TBH: I'm not surprised. SNC didn't have the lobbying power that SpaceX and Boeing do, so even if their design could be most profitable in a long term - money and conservative approach won once again.

SNC aren't alone in their bid. Do you know who's actually physically building dream chaser? Lockheed Martin. To suggest they have less lobbyists than SpaceX is ridiculous.

SNC aren't alone in their bid. Do you know who's actually physically building dream chaser? Lockheed Martin. To suggest they have less lobbyists than SpaceX is ridiculous.

Hehe, you grossly underestimate SpaceX lobbying.

Though it's understandable - most of the press is very much for SpaceX so the lobbying that Boeing does was "evil" and everyone focused on bashing Boeing for that while the largest campaign went very much unnoticed by media.

Only in supporting the spacecraft. Not funding it themselves.

Though to be fair - competition was very tough.

Boeing met all of the goals on time and within budgets.

It doesn't matter what "public" can see.

Well, unlucky you, I guess, cause that's exactly what happened.

I think it makes sense that they don't want to go with a Shuttle design. I wouldn't say the Dragon V2 is that much of a conservative approach.