My first part isn't showing up in the VAB list

sreinmann

Ugh, okay time to search for support. My first part should be ready to be installed but I can't seem to see it in the VAB after I load the necessary files in GameData. Any suggestions?

My folder structure is;

KSP_Test/GameData/RealSatellites/Parts/wiseTelescope/

and inside I have

model.mu

part.cfg

WISE_Texture.mbm

My part.cfg contains

PART
{
name = WISEScope
module = Part
author = Doppleganger
MODEL
{
model = RealSatellites/Parts/wiseTelescope
position = 0, 0, 0
rotation = 0, 0, 0
scale = 1.25, 1.25, 1.25
}
scale = 1
rescaleFactor = 0.8
node_stack_bottom = 0.0, -0.376, 0.0, 0.0, 1.0, 0.0, 0
node_attach = 0.0, -0.376, 0.0, 0.0, -1.0, 0.0, 0
TechRequired = advExploration
entryCost = 28000
cost = 16500
category = Science
subcategory = 0
title = WISE Telescope
manufacturer = Doppleganger Industries
description = This telescope uses 4 Infrared cameras to measure the full sky.
attachRules = 1,1,0,0,0
// --- standard part parameters ---
mass = 0.035
dragModelType = default
maximum_drag = 0.2
minimum_drag = 0.2
angularDrag = 2
crashTolerance = 7
maxTemp = 3000
}

your part.cfg leads to model = RealSatellites/Parts/wiseTelescope

without ending slash....I guess the game looks for a part-file named wiseTelescope.mu in the Parts folder.

try this one model = RealSatellites/Parts/wiseTelescope /model

2nd suggestion, always take a look in the log-files if you miss something..

Until someone who knows what they're doing replies, have you unlocked Advanced Exploration in the Tech Tree (if you're not in sandbox mode)?

I concur. The part file seems to be in order so you should at least be getting an entry in the editor. If you're not testing your part in sandbox mode, are you sure the tech node has been unlocked? Or that it even exists? If you're not using stock KSP for your testing and have mods that alter the tech tree, the "Advanced Exploration" might not even be there.

what onklesiendruck said. as it is now, KSP is looking for wiseTelescope.mu in Parts/ folder instead of model.mu in wiseTelescope/ folder.

alternatively you can delete the entire MODEL{} block since everything the part needs is in the same folder. KSP will load everything from the folder and compile them automatically.

I'm not sure what final size you are looking for... is it 1.25m standard size? you wanna reconsider rescaleFactor = 0.8.

MODEL{} applies rescaleFactor twice (for whatever reason, maybe a bug). so if you are using MODEL{scale = 1.25,1.25,125} AND rescaleFactor of 0.8; your final size would be 1.25*0.8*0.8 = 0.8 (of whatever size the MU is);

Edited by nli2work

Since this is my first test I'm using a second copy of KSP .24.2 stripped of all other mods and in sandbox mode.

Hmm, Debug did not list my part in the [Log]: PartLoader:

In the Database config I see my part listed along with the appropriate model and texture.

ALT-F12 will bring up debug window to reload assets; Textures may or may not update. take care not to highlight any building in KSC, as clicking a button in debug window will be interpreted as clicking on the highlighted building and take you to SPH/VAB while database is reloading, and things break.

MM 2.3.x also has reload database option, ALT-F11

If you look in KSP_Data/output_log.txt(best place to look if anything goes unexpected), you will see the textures, model and config have loaded, because they are in Gamedata/

look in the compile section of the log, and you'll probably see an error compiling wiseTelescope, model not found.

Edited by nli2work

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.