4PM EST - NASA Announces the New Contractor ...

RW-1

So yeah, Boeing is receiving around 1.6 times more money than SpaceX for the contract.

The money awarded is what was asked for in their bid. Space X said they could meet requirements for $2.6 billion so that's what they got. Boeing said they could do it for $4.5 billion so that's what they got. We don't know how much money SNC asked for, maybe they were actually more expensive than Boeing.

;.; dam ugly cramped Boeing capsule. How dare they jump in and take the pritty little Dreamchaser away from me :(

I only hope there JAXA / ESA work can help them stay afloat, sure would be better then the ESA gliding boot.

Still, I was expecting a SpaceX only contract.

And I dont hate Boeing i just am left uninspired by there 6 hour bare bones taxi and there Big corporate culture.

Dreamchaser while not as praticle as the CST 100 would have been far more interesting to follow and I truely hope they dont dissappear.

Edited by KandoKris

;.; dam ugly cramped Boeing capsule. How dare they jump in and take the pritty little Dreamchaser away from me :(

Luckily for us, NASA doesn't choose its vehicles based on looks.

And actually, the CST-100 is far from cramped. It's the roomiest of the three vehicles and is wider than Apollo.

Still, I was expecting a SpaceX only contract.

It's been known for months that it would be a downselect to two suppliers.

And I dont hate Boeing i just am left uninspired by there 6 hour bare bones taxi and there Big corporate culture.

Boeing carries the heritage of Mercury, Gemini, the Apollo CSM, the Saturn V, the X-15, the X-37B, and the Space Shuttle, as well as the P51 Mustang, the XB70, the B1 Lancer, the 707, the DC-3... How more inspiring can it get? It employs some of the best engineers in the World and its experience allowed its proposal to match NASA's criteria more closely than others, which is what really matters.

Also DreamChaser is built by Lockheed Martin, which isn't exactly your typical "new space" company, and the proposal included ULA's Atlas V.

Dreamchaser while not as praticle as the CST 100 would have been far more interesting to follow and I truely hope they dont dissappear.

Again, based on looks only. CST-100 is just as exciting as DreamChaser. I really don't get this irrational bias towards esthetics over functionality. Even the World's best designers knox that form follows function and not the opposite.

Edited by Nibb31

At the end of the day the government was forced to select the popular choice (SpaceX) and the lobbyist choice (Boing). They Military Industrial Complex has it's influence which will override any logical choices. 5 years from now the space policy will probably be upended once again and any hopes of advance in US or even commercial progress regarding space expansion will be dashed. Until we eliminate lobbyist influence in government we must all be prepared to expect disappointment.

not at all.

but, their influence was better than all others. in addition to their technical proposal. No discredit to their proposal.

(huge strategic contracts lend themselves to huge strategic lobbying - huge strategic lobbying leads to huge strategic voting...)

Edited by Wallygator
clarification regarding my posting perspective

Atlas V is by Lockheed Martin and Boeing which make up the United Launch Alliance. :)

Also, I just found this from the LA Times.

So yeah, Boeing is receiving around 1.6 times more money than SpaceX for the contract.

SpaceX asked for that much, Boeing also asked for that much. All that shows is how SpaceX is saying that they can do a better job (reusable and all) for less than Boeing. It may not seem like it, but that is sort of a slap in the face to Boeing, seeing that they need 1.6x the money to do the same job.

You'd expect them to anyway, really. SpaceX already has an assembly line for dragons, and the rocket fully developed, whereas Boeing need to set up a construction and checkout facility for CTS, as well as any work that might need to be done with dual-engine centaur.

Stay calm about the Atlas V shenanigans... Blue Origin to the rescue! <-- Click the link

So basically, Blue Origin is developing an 100% American rocket engine for a replacement first stage for the Atlas V. Fueled by liquefied natural gas and using liquid oxygen for the oxidizer -- I'm glad someone's stepping up to address the current Atlas V situation. :) Cheers to Blue Origin, Jeff Bezos, and the Blue Origin engineers.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.