Wondering, can welding be done on a ship by ship basis?

SyberSmoke

So I have a question: Is there a way to weld a structure with out making a part CFG? Can the welded structure be integrated into the ship file so that when the ship is loaded the welded parts are accounted for and loaded as a welded structure?

To expound, welding right now is based around creating individual parts and their cfg's. The problem with this is that those welded parts can be improperly processed creating more parts that the user need to be cleared out of the players game directory. Further more, with the creation of each part the game need to be closed down and restarted depending on the mods the player is using. This makes welding time consuming and cumbersome.

I find it rather hard to believe some of the things I have observed. Like the station I am building...I find it hard to believe that Squad would not put in some kind of pause in the physics for a body at rest. A station in orbit that is at rest (Stable orbit with out any outside influences) should not have physics calculated for it...it would be in homeostasis, and that state should only be recalculated when an event changes the objects state (Rotations, Acceleration, Mass Change, addition of elements).

Any way...I got off track. If some one would kindly consider the questions posed I would appreciate it. I think you for your time and hope you will be constructive.

-Edit- Restructured for clarity since people only skim and do not read for comprehension.

Edited by SyberSmoke

That is not the answer to the question. The part welding mod, as stated in the OP, creates a new part CFG. Read the OP more thoroughly please.

That is not the answer to the question. The part welding mod, as stated in the OP, creates a new part CFG. Read the OP more thoroughly please.

You said you had to restart the game every time you welded parts, which isn't true if you are using that mod.

The answer to your question is no. A vessel is just a collection of parts in a list, so you have to have a defining cfg somewhere for every part.

It would in theory be possible to have the game automatically go into a 1x rails warp whenever the vessel was in a stable orbit with thrust off and no rotation, but that isn't really an optimal solution, because you would then have to flip back and forth all the time leading to a jumpy game as well as still do collision detection in order to turn the physics back on when something collided with it.

The answer to your question is no. A vessel is just a collection of parts in a list, so you have to have a defining cfg somewhere for every part.

But would it be impossible or impractical to take that collection of parts and nest the new welded cfg values into the ship file its self. That way a new part, or many new parts do not need to be generated in the parts list?

As for the reloading...in most cases that is also true. But in the cases of some modes, like Interstellar, it is recommended that after making a part you exit and reload. I have looked into the welding tool and there are several entries in the thread discussing this same thing. They are fringe instances, but as modding progresses, those instances could increase.

But would it be impossible or impractical to take that collection of parts and nest the new welded cfg values into the ship file its self. That way a new part, or many new parts do not need to be generated in the parts list?

Doing this would require changing how a vessel config is loaded significantly to allow for part definitions as well as part references in them, which is beyond the scope of anything a mod could do. Even if you could somehow encode welds into the vessel data, it would still require something to generate configs at launch/load which would be stupendously complex.

As for the reloading...in most cases that is also true. But in the cases of some modes, like Interstellar, it is recommended that after making a part you exit and reload. I have looked into the welding tool and there are several entries in the thread discussing this same thing. They are fringe instances, but as modding progresses, those instances could increase.

Can you not just do a database reload?

Doing this would require changing how a vessel config is loaded significantly to allow for part definitions as well as part references in them, which is beyond the scope of anything a mod could do. Even if you could somehow encode welds into the vessel data, it would still require something to generate configs at launch/load which would be stupendously complex.

Ahhh, I see...a shame really but there are better uses of people time then. Thank you for answering that.

Can you not just do a database reload?

Hurm...not to sure how to do that. I do remember that some mods are finicky about that sort of thing though...but how would I do it? Oh, it is in the F12 menu...huh. I never messed with that menu so I did not notice it.

Hurm...reloading the data base wipes a few mods from the game it looks like. Like Goodspeed fuel...well that is not much of an option I guess.

Edited by SyberSmoke

Yeah, this would necessitate a fairly large change to the way KSP itself handles save files. I don't think it should necessarily (depending on how it was implemented) cause too much of an increase in loading time since the system has to look for the part config while loading the craft anyway, this would simply bypass that. Of course, parts are pre-loaded at start-up so there's less searching and loading required, however if the part was included higher up in the save file hierarchy rather than embedded in the vessels themselves they could be pre-loaded along with the rest of the save-file. Of course, the issue then, is that, instead of having part files that you can simply delete you have them embedded in the save file which would either have to be edited by hand or additional code included to allow for their deletion in-game.

It's a nice idea, but I think efforts are better spent elsewhere at the moment.

Yeah, this would necessitate a fairly large change to the way KSP itself handles save files. I don't think it should necessarily (depending on how it was implemented) cause too much of an increase in loading time since the system has to look for the part config while loading the craft anyway, this would simply bypass that. Of course, parts are pre-loaded at start-up so there's less searching and loading required, however if the part was included higher up in the save file hierarchy rather than embedded in the vessels themselves they could be pre-loaded along with the rest of the save-file. Of course, the issue then, is that, instead of having part files that you can simply delete you have them embedded in the save file which would either have to be edited by hand or additional code included to allow for their deletion in-game.

It's a nice idea, but I think efforts are better spent elsewhere at the moment.

True true, mostly theory craft at the moment.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.