The 0.25 Waiting Room, now boarding passengers heading to Hypetown

Rowsdower

What Hype Vehicle Would You Rather Ride In?  

735 members have voted

1. 1. What Hype Vehicle Would You Rather Ride In?

• Shuttle
    • Plane
    • Train
    • Other

Huh, and the Mk2 Probe Core is missing in your build too....

It seems to appear and disappear. I'd like some clarification on it's existence/non-existence....

I'm more interested in the stock vessels HarvesteR said he was going to add. What happened to those?

If you watch Maxmaps' brief feature intro video, the spaceplane shown is one of 'em. Yargnit loaded it up later to take a look at it during the twitch.tv streams.

I hope something isn't wrong with the probe core... Such as summoning the kraken and stuff.

Or maybe it was only added in a recent build and some people are still using the old one.

Pleborian was using build 636, and I heard reports of the core appearing in build 616.

Aww, and I was hoping that Danny2462 would have something on offer for the media team. Shame, the destructible buildings are right up his alley.

He's probably been laughing maniacally ever since he heard the words "destructible buildings". Hopefully he will stop laughing and start making a video soon enough.

He's probably been laughing maniacally ever since he heard the words "destructible buildings". Hopefully he will stop laughing and start making a video soon enough.

His video will be ten hours of him blowing up buildings in weird and wonderful ways, I'm sure of it.

Quick question for those doing frame by frame analysis of the videos (and any left over tea-leaves / chicken bones) to divine arcane secrets:

Have you noticed any deviation in part specs from original SP+ parts to their new official counterparts? Ie. mass/lift/fuel etc.

Just trying to see if what works in SP+ will most likely work in 0.25 (the shape/symmetry changes will surely mean re-assembly is necessary, but wondering if general design principles will crossover).

On a related note - any other part changes spotted? I note the "brown SAS with the HAL eye" is now a 0.625m part which makes a lot of sense.

My plea to Squad and You:

Please don't do this. Hyping updates is (clearly) a lot of fun, but it makes things harder on Squad and modders.

Why, Majiir? You make no sense!

Because when updates are hyped this much, Squad comes under immense pressure to release the game "on time" (even though no release date is promised) and it means that lots of important features and bug fixes get swept under the rug. These issues could be revisited during the next cycle, but since that update is also hyped, they take the back seat to more pressing issues and... they never get fixed.

This makes things particularly difficult for modders, because we go months or years with frustrating bugs that are always promised for "the next update" and never arrive.

So, please, instead of hyping the update and pressuring Squad, ask for a high-quality release. Ask for updates which crush the outstanding issues lists.

But Majiir, Rowsdower started this!

Yes, he did. He also doesn't have to cope with the resulting mess created in the KSP codebase.

Cheers,

Majiir

Majiir, you make a lot of sense. I`ve noticed KSP getting less stable over the last few releases, even 32 bit.

Maybe a way round this is for one update to focus purely on bugs/stability and for it to be stated that that is what that update is for. Then the hype would be about bugs and stability, which would be fixed, would 64 bit be more stable, that sort of thing. Obviously work on other stuff could continue but it would allow you the time and space to work on those other things for a release cycle. Maybe a secret feature could be included (one of the important ones you mention) which will be said to be not very exciting but useful to defuse hype.

I`m not sure the hype rocket is getting launched any time soon though. It`s on a 5 year mission

Maybe it`s best to use the hype rocket as a tool instead of a hindrance and get hyped about a bugfix update.

Maybe a way round this is for one update to focus purely on bugs/stability and for it to be stated that that is what that update is for. Then the hype would be about bugs and stability, which would be fixed, would 64 bit be more stable, that sort of thing.

With the proviso that I have no way of knowing how Squad like to organise development or what their code looks like, I can see that a bug fix release (rather than patch/hotfix) is likely to result in a lot of wasted effort whilst features are still being added.

You end up fixing bugs in placeholder code which is subsequently scrapped a few months down the line as underlying systems are rebuilt from scratch to take into account new features they want to add or merely after figuring out a better way of doing a given system in the context of the wider game.

As a quick example, the infini-glide bug. Spend dev time fixing that in the current aero system? They've said they want to revisit aerodynamics at some point in the future - that may just need tweaks or it may need a new system built from the ground up. It's likely, at this stage, no-one knows for sure. Spending time fixing the infini-glide bug now stands a good chance of being wasted effort.

Same could be said for terrain glitches and floating/sunk easter eggs - new biomes, new Mun style procedural cratering etc is likely to make any such work redundant a few months down the line.

Is there anywhat to disable the new navball feature, which is a degradation from the far superior [0.24] Enhanced Navball

Until Enhanced Navball is updated, probably not. Sad, too, because I'll miss sliding the navball to the side until that time. And pro/retrograde ghosting. Though TBH the arrow is fine vs maneuver node ghosting.

Hello i am a 13 year old boy and my .... flew off from eating too much gluten. My only wish is that you release 0.25 please SQUAD dont disappoint me i have nothing to live for now :(

Hello i am a 13 year old boy and my .... flew off from eating too much gluten. My only wish is that you release 0.25 please SQUAD dont disappoint me i have nothing to live for now :(

Are you being serious or are you joking? I can't tell.

If you are joking good one, if not...