The 0.25 Waiting Room, now boarding passengers heading to Hypetown

Rowsdower

What Hype Vehicle Would You Rather Ride In?  

735 members have voted

1. 1. What Hype Vehicle Would You Rather Ride In?

• Shuttle
    • Plane
    • Train
    • Other

Lhathron the Elf has asked for official HypeEndorsement, and despite the fact that I normally don't enjoy mainstream music, It's so Hyped that I've adopted it as the official HypeEngine07 Playlist.

Official HypeTrain07 Playlist

https://play.spotify.com/user/stormcutter/playlist/0CgLgPT3of48xlVo4AVgUS?play=true

Incedentally:

Just wondering is SQUAD gonna miss a few numbers. I can't imagine that they will do 75 more updates to get to 1.0

Not sure if your comment was serious or not, but that's not how versions work in game development. 1.0 indicates that KSP is feature complete (or used to, not sure what the current definition is), which could come at 0.26 (unlikely), 0.100 (unlikely), or anywhere in between (likely). Note that the devs can make as many versions (eg ksp-0.1025 gods forbid) before declaring the game as 1.0.

If you weren't serious, great troll :wink:

Jawoll! :P:wink:

Ausgezeichnet gezapft! :)

Edited by Yakuzi

Not sure if your comment was serious or not, but that's not how versions work in game development. 1.0 indicates that KSP is feature complete (or used to, not sure what the current definition is), which could come at 0.26 (unlikely), 0.100 (unlikely), or anywhere in between (likely). Note that the devs can make as many versions (eg ksp-0.1025 gods forbid) before declaring the game as 1.0.

If you weren't serious, great troll ������

Well, kind of. Feature Complete just means that, well, all the main features are complete (duh!). But that doesn't necessarily mean that the game is finished. 1.0 will be the refined, completed game that is now ready for official release (what is known as the gold master).

But yes, squad doesn't have to go through 75 more numbers to get to 1.0. The game will be at 1.0 when it's ready to be officially released, whether that's at 0.26 or 0.53 or 0.127

(really, in traditional software development lingo, KSP is still in Alpha, because traditionally the game needs to be feature complete before it enters into the Beta development state. However, since their release schedule builds in an alpha stage (QA) and Beta stage (experimentals) for each incremental release, I'm not so it's so easy to break down their development into Alpha and Beta stages, which is why they've tried to stop using those specific terms. Though, one can probably say that once the game reaches feature completeness, it is effectively in the Beta stage at that point.)

Edit:

The more I thought about it, the more that I see what you might be getting at. My impression is that Beta releases would still be 0.x releases, but I'm not 100% sure of that. Though I know games like Minecraft treated 1.0 as a gold master release (thus out of Beta)

Edit 2:

Argh, now you've got me wondering about this, so I looked up the wiki (yeah I know) article about it here: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Software_versioning

Basically the short of it is: you can number your software however you like. Some use 1.0 as Beta. Some use 1.0 as gold master. Some use 1.0 as the start of everything (with 1.0.x being alphas, 1.1.x being betas, 1.2.x being RCs, and 1.3.x being production).

Additionally it says this:

Proprietary software developers often start at version 1 for the first release of a program and increment the major version number with each significant update.

In contrast to this, the free-software community tends to use version 1.0 as a major milestone, indicating that the software is "complete", that it has all major features, and is considered reliable enough for general release.

So...there you go. 1.0 is whatever Squad wants it to mean, basically :D

Edited by FleetAdmiralJ

If you weren't serious, great troll :wink:

Ausgezeichnet gezapft! :)

I was being serious. I didn't think they would do 75 more updates. KSP is the first early access game i have ever got. I am not familiar with the process of game development so thanks for enlightening me!

I was being serious. I didn't think they would do 75 more updates. KSP is the first early access game i have ever got. I am not familiar with the process of game development so thanks for enlightening me!

No worries, happy I could enlighten!

HUGE snip :D

Thank you for enlightening me FleetAdmiralJ as well as providing a captivating glimpse of your thought process :P I do apologize that my previous post appeared to have sent you to a round trip to the space kraken, however reading your post was both informative and funny :)

Edited by Yakuzi