[WIP] Orion and Space Launch System (SLS) Development Thread

elliottastic

MgEx59L.png

So this started as a personal project but I thought I'd share with everyone on here since there doesn't seem to be a replica SLS mod yet. I know there are already a few in development, but most of them seem to either be dead, moving very slowly, or are different to what I'm making, plus it's a personal project as I said so I'm going to make it anyway :)

This is my first time attempting to make a mod for Kerbal Space Program, and while I shouldn't have any issues with modelling and texturing I haven't any experience with creating specifically for KSP so it should be interesting learning how it works.

On to what the mod actually is. I'm making an accurately scaled replica of the SLS as well as the Orion MPCV. It's the spacecraft I've always wanted on KSP and since no one has made it yet I thought I might as well do it. The plan is to create a scale version for stock KSP as well as a full size version for Real Solar System.

Here are some renders of what I currently have. Apart from a few details I think the modelling is pretty much complete, so I will be moving on to textures shortly.

Javascript is disabled. View full album
Edited by elliottastic

Quality work. Very well done! However there is one sls mods in development.http://forum.kerbalspaceprogram.com/threads/85275-WIP-NASA-SLS-Preview-Release-1-%288-5-2014%29?highlight=sls+development . At the moment that mod seems to be mostly sls payloads with the lanchers made by YANFRET.

[Edit]

Very sorry, I didnt see that you mentioned that.

As you said there are a lot of SLS projects out there, but it seems they were (most of them) cursed and never got a proper release, so I'm looking forward to this as the models seem very nice already.

There are quite a few now, but I haven't seen much progress on many of them. As you say, it seems like they're cursed.

Thanks! I hope to finish this one and not have it added to the pile of incomplete SLS replicas.

There are quite a few now, but I haven't seen much progress on many of them. As you say, it seems like they're cursed.

Thanks! I hope to finish this one and not have it added to the pile of incomplete SLS replicas.

I believe there are 3 dead SLS projects out there. The models you made are very good! I hope you won't run into problems with this mod.

Update 22/09/14

Finished the modelling and now working on the UV mapping. It's coming along quite well, although work will probably be quite slow for the next week or so. UV mapping of the Orion Capsule is done, a few smoothing issues (such as the engines on the first stage which can be seen in the original images) have been fixed, and currently I'm on the tedious job of UV'ing the Service Module. Here's a few images of the progress:

r94xiOp.png

leE8hZt.png

Edited by elliottastic

Wow! This looks great i hope it doesn't suffer the fate of other mods

Thanks a lot, I hope to finish it. Now I'm back at uni it will probably progress a bit slower than it should have but I do plan on finishing it since it's relevant to my course anyway :)

I've been making some progress over the last few days so it's coming along quite well now.

Thanks a lot, I hope to finish it. Now I'm back at uni it will probably progress a bit slower than it should have but I do plan on finishing it since it's relevant to my course anyway :)

I've been making some progress over the last few days so it's coming along quite well now.

Good to hear! :) hope for pics soon

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Is the escape system properly divided into parts? There should be a control motor (RCS), a separation motor and an abort motor. Very few KSP escape towers get that one right.

Another thing you should take a look at is the movable nozzle for the ICPS. The nozzle on the real RL-10B-2 is extendable to save space in the interstage. Also, the ICPS should likely have some sort of RCS for roll control, ullage and steering in coast phase. Since you're making an RSS version, this is an important consideration, since you don't have SAS for that.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.