Next Mod I'd like to see incorporated into stock KSP

With the successful addition of Spaceplane+ to 0.25 I would like to make a suggestion for the next mod to incorporate into the stock game.

I would suggest Tweakscale as it would GREATLY reduce the number of parts in the game, while still keeping all of the possibilities that exist right now.

For example: The Huge engine that came out with the asteroid mission can be resized down to the standard engine size with little difference between them. Another example is the fuel tanks. They scale VERY well.

This would be a good way to promote conformity of part styles as well. You can have a few different styles of rockets/tanks/wings/structural beams/batteries/decouplers/etc. and they can be sized to fit any kind of rocket maintaining the same look and feel of the rest of the parts. I imagine this would also end up being less work for you as with fewer parts, I imagine there would be less code to worry about. (total non-informed guess on that though :D )

Well, that's my two-bits worth, I hope you consider this, but if you decide to not do it, oh well. :) I won't lose any sleep over it. lol

Have a great day!

15250129386_97312b5f05_o.png

No..... Absolutely not! I much prefer all sized tanks having thier own unique texture... If Squad did something of this sort, I'd be very surprised ESPECIALLY considering the amount of work that is put into texturing these tanks. I am sorry, but I respectfully disagree.

There's no reason the texture couldn't change when you resize. Functionally there's no difference between a 2.5 diameter and a 1.25 diameter part except for volume and aesthetics. Being able to tweak volume and length could yield any of the current fuel tank model and textures, but be backed into a generic "LFT Series Container" that unlocks different dimensions as you progress through the tech tree. It's literally just a way of cleaning up the parts list. I'm not saying there aren't good ways to do it that don't involve tweakscale, however.

Select Root is so useful it's actually compulsory for me, TweakableEverything wouldn't be added as such, but some of it's additions are very useful, and RCS Build Aid (or at least something that shows Dry COM and maybe a marker for RCS CoT or something like that) would be great too!

This is even if they add another mod, they may not....

Though if they did, I don't want Tweakscale; half of what it does is makes nice parts useless, and OP engines available in every size... No thanks, I'd prefer a mod that I (and Everyone) can like and use.

Edited by Random Tank

Deadly Reentry!! Half the fun of going to space is trying not to die a terrible fiery death on the way home. Honestly can't believe stock implementation of reentry mechanics isn't a higher priority considering it's like the one thing that everyone and their grandmother has heard about space travel.

While there are plenty of other mods that I think should be integrated into the game, I absolutely agree that some sort of procedural scaling/part creation should be added. Procedural Parts and Wings, and Tweakscale open up so many more options for the player while reducing memory usage and actual ship parts counts, allowing for larger, more elaborate craft. It's a no-brainer in my opinion.

KSP is Space Lego, and Lego pieces don't stretch.

LEGO-DUPLO-and-Mega-Bloks-compare-sizes.jpg

yahCh5u.jpg?1

Procedural parts, I agree with - part of the challenge is finding the right tools for the job and being able to get a tank with exactly the right amount of dV kinda ruined the fun for me. Not to mention that I got bored of the textures and deleting the other tanks broke the tech tree for me so yeah..

But TweakScale? I'm a big fan of it. If only to reduce part clutter in the VAB part catalog. And, as the pictures I posted show, Lego is certainly available at different scales ;)

I can do without rescalable/procedural parts, and I do for the most part. KSP is Space Lego, and Lego pieces don't stretch. :)

This is a better argument than "you're not as creative as me".

Procedural parts, I agree with - part of the challenge is finding the right tools for the job and being able to get a tank with exactly the right amount of dV kinda ruined the fun for me

It was exactly the opposite for me. Now imagine building a craft halfway and then having to readjust all the tanks because you don't have enough delta-V or to save mass; Procedural Parts didn't reduce the "fun" one bit. Not to mention that rockets IRL are built to specification and not from Lego-like blocks, which severely breaks immersion for me...

E: but I do agree that Tweakscale should be good enough for stock, especially with a texture switcher.

Edited by regex

Lego pieces definitely do scale (meaning are available in the same shapes and colors in at least three different and mutually compatible sizes) and some KSP parts would be great to have in different sizes as well. It's just not something I'd want most at the moment.

I really think KAS should be the top of the list, but I see a lot of good suggestions:

Next mod I'd like to see integrated into stock is Editor extensions. Or just complete VAB/SPH overhaul to make them user friendly and to get rid of all bugs.

EE isn't bad, but the second option there would be VERY nice.

Select Root is so useful it's actually compulsory for me

This would be good too.

and RCS Build Aid (or at least something that shows Dry COM and maybe a marker for RCS CoT or something like that) would be great too!

RCS Build Aid in stock would be awesome. The stock indicators are awful, and don't even understand that massless parts have no mass. :/

It was exactly the opposite for me. Now imagine building a craft halfway and then having to readjust all the tanks because you don't have enough delta-V or to save mass; Procedural Parts didn't reduce the "fun" one bit. Not to mention that rockets IRL are built to specification and not from Lego-like blocks, which severely breaks immersion for me...

Eh? While I agree that real missions aren't stacking tanks on top of each other to make a bigger tank, they're also not built to specification by and large. They're usually using well-established launchers from a catalog that makes Lego look flexible in comparison.

I might be a bit more sensitive to that though if my immersion wasn't being smacked around whenever I put five or six inline batteries in a stack and the ship turns into a slinky.

Yes, tweakscale would be a huge bonus for tanks - both in reducing clutter and improving consistency of visual style.

Doubt it'll happen though. Squad generally don't like that level of 'complexity' (read: options) in user interfaces.

Another vote for the editor UI stuff. Stockifying Editor Extensions, RCS Build Aid and Part Angle Display is so obvious that I'm stunned it hasn't been done already. Ditto for Kerbal Alarm Clock.

On the less utilitarian end, Kerbpaint, EVE, Chatterer and RPM are good candidates.

Editor UI would be good, an option to display the center of RCS thrust would be AMAZING, and EVE would be super cool as stock.

I don't like the idea of Tweakscale as stock, if only for the fact that its interface is too complex to merge well with the rest of the KSP UI. It may be nice to have all those options, but I prefer how it is now. What might be nice to do instead of Tweakscale is a Firespitter-like part model switch, that way you can have different aesthetics for parts while still retaining a lot of the UI simplicity.

I don't like the idea of Tweakscale as stock, if only for the fact that its interface is too complex to merge well with the rest of the KSP UI.

Uh, what? Tweakscale uses a single slider last I checked.

Edited by regex

If any mod is to be made part of the stock game, it has to be Kerbal Alarm Clock. It's so essential to basic functionality that I can't imagine playing without it now. Next on my list after that would be something like PreciseNode, where I can fine-tune a maneuver node by typing numbers. The graphical UI in the stock game just doesn't cut it for long-distance transfers of any kind.

In descending order of 'would make the most difference to the game':

- MecJeb's Manœuvre Node Editor: When trying to hit Moho encounter a few m/s makes all the difference and the draggable symbols and mouse wheel are so frustrating. The standard +/- 1 orbit buttons are a great idea, but often offer target/focus choices and/or minimise the node widget - adding that to MecJeb like MNE would be great.

- Kerbal Alarm Clock: if you have multiple missions going it's reassuring to be able to see at a glance when SOI and manoeuvre nodes etc are coming up.

I guess those are my 'big two'.

Uh, what? Tweakscale uses a single slider last I checked.

I have to agree, I can see that arguing that the current implementation of Tweakscale might be a little flawed in that it doesn't scale engines according to stock scaling, but the UI itself is trivially easy for all the stock parts.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.