[1.0.5] Camera Tools v1.5.1 (+dogfight mode, autozoom margin slider) - March 28

BahamutoD

Nl2RLVu.jpg

Camera Tools

> Download from SpaceDock

Source on GitHub

License: GPLv3

This mod adds a tool that you can use to achieve various camera angles. It's helpful for getting cool shots for cinematics.

Main features:

- Stationary camera position

- Optical zoom - 1x up to one-thousand-something x

- Mouse or keypad controlled camera movement

- Dogfight camera mode (NEW)

New feature in 1.4.1:

- Save persistant settings

New features in v1.4:
Optional atmospheric audio effects (experimental) and adjustable camera shake.

More Videos:

Spoiler

Cinematic demonstration:

More demonstration with planes:

Awesome cinematic by Achroma:

Quick guide:

Activating

- Bring up the window by clicking on the Camera Tools icon on the stock toolbar, or by pressing " / " on the keypad.

- Activate the camera mode by pressing the activation key (default is Home)

- Revert back to the regular camera by pressing the revert key (default is End)

Positioning

- While the camera is active, use the middle mouse button and drag your mouse to move the camera around

- Scroll up and down to move vertically

- Use right click and drag to pan the camera (if you don't select a target)

- You can also click "Set position w/ click" and then click somewhere in the world to move your camera there instantly.

- You can also select "Manual Flyby Position" to set it to a point that is a given distance ahead, to the right, and above your vessel, relative to your velocity.

- You can select "Auto Flyby Position" to have this position set automatically (the distance ahead scales with your velocity)

- Use the zoom slider to adjust optical zoom. If you have selected a target, you can also check the auto-zoom button to have it automatically zoom in on your target.

Targeting

- Click "Set target w/ click" then click on a vessel or part to set it as your target

- You can also just click target self to target your active vessel's command unit

- The camera will point at the target you select.

Reference Modes

Surface mode

UnfitBriefBoa.gifWeeElderlyBlowfish.gif

- In surface reference mode, the camera will stay stationary with the surface unless your vessel's surface velocity exceeds the set Max Relative Velocity, in which case it will move to maintain that relative velocity.

- Setting a lower max relative velocity is useful if your vessel flies past the camera too quickly (high orbital velocity)

Orbit mode

- The same as surface mode, but relative motion is based on orbital velocity. For example, at geostationary orbit, a vessel will be stationary in surface mode, but will fly past the camera in orbit mode.

Initial Velocity mode

OrneryBelovedIndianelephant.gifTheseIdealJenny.gif

- In this mode, the camera will move in a straight line at the velocity your vessel was moving at when the camera was first activated.

- This means your vessel will move away from the camera if you accelerate or turn away.

- Select the "Orbital" check box to have the camera follow the curvature of your initial orbit.

Keypad Controls

- You can enable this to control the camera with the keypad.

- The speed of translation and zooming can be adjusted.

- Keys:

8: forward

5: backward

4: left

6: right

7: up

1: down

9: zoom in

3: zoom out

(NEW) Dogfight mode
This mode is tailored towards filming dogfights. Without a target selected, the camera will act like a chase cam, following the active vessel's velocity vector.
With a target selected, the camera will move to keep both the active vessel and the target in frame.

The offset position of the camera can be adjusted using the sliders, or with the keypad if keypad control is enabled.

So how do you switch between cameras? You have a number of different shots in your opening cinematic. Did you pause the game and move the camera? Can you have multiple cameras set up?

I actually hadn't considered that. I just did a few repeat launches, recording from different angles. If you set a flyby position though, it will reset to that relative position ahead of you when you reactivate the camera.

Edit: Oh yeah, in the opening, with the rocket just sitting there, I just moved the camera around between shots.

Edited by BahamutoD

Back in the day, I played a lot of a game called f15 strike eagle. It had lots of can angles. The ones we have now, plus flyby (random view point ahead and to one side of the flight path) and view yourself looking toward your target, and view your target looking toward yourself.

Just food for thought. The demo looked awesome!!

Oh my....wow. Just wow. That Tylo video looked like a movie. It looked so real. Right up until the kerbal ending. :D

Also, that C-130 looking aircraft, what happened at the end?

If I pull up too hard, it stalls and flips out :P

So.. Will there be a version of this that places the button in the ToolBar Mod?

Whats wrong with the stock toolbar?

This mod is really awesome!

I found some sort of incompatibility with this mod: http://forum.kerbalspaceprogram.com/threads/69363-0-24-2-Time-Control-9-9-14-v13-1-(NO-MORE-EXPLOSIONS-more-warp-rates)

When you have both, the camera stays relative to your ship, and you are not able to do a flyby.

If someone managed to use both together please tell how.

If I pull up too hard, it stalls and flips out :P

I noticed the cannon fire from the plane right before, and at first I thought I saw it backwards and it was in fact a hit on the plane. But that's still looked awesome, it looked like its wing took a hit. If only the motion was a little more mass relative. :P (Meaning it flipped way to fast to be a huge plane)

• 3 weeks later...

Update

v1.1

- 0.25 update

- Added ability to set location -before- activating camera

- Fixed text fields in GUI (it won't fight you when entering negatives or decimals)

- Fixed Toolbar Icon

- Greatly reduced motion of stationary camera when vessel is accelerating/turning

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.