[1.0.5] Camera Tools v1.5.1 (+dogfight mode, autozoom margin slider) - March 28

BahamutoD

Does anyone know if this mod is working correctly in 1.0.4?

I'll get on testing it ASAP. Hoping it works - This mod is awesome for viewing your takeoffs from another perspective as well.

• 4 weeks later...

Yes. you can activate CameraTools, position the camera, then select it for control via kerbcam and set a key or move it from there. The other way doesn't work as well tho. Or just control independently between the two. I've never seen a serious conflict between them

Is there a reliable way with this mod to watch and track launches from the ground all the way to orbit? Would the loading distance even factor in? Because my craft is still selected, but the camera just stays put on the ground.

it should be better in 1.0.4 with the vastly increased atmo physics bubble, but even in 0.90 it was alright. Below is an example of a small rocket I watched until it was literally out of sight just using the regular camera without auto-tracking. Larger ones should be visible longer and up to max zoom (tho they will most likely fall below the horizon before orbit) - just set up the camera where you want it on the ground and select your ship as the target through the UI and it'll stay centered

it should be better in 1.0.4 with the vastly increased atmo physics bubble, but even in 0.90 it was alright. Below is an example of a small rocket I watched until it was literally out of sight just using the regular camera without auto-tracking. Larger ones should be visible longer and up to max zoom (tho they will most likely fall below the horizon before orbit) - just set up the camera where you want it on the ground and select your ship as the target through the UI and it'll stay centered

Very nice I like that. But surely the load distance shouldn't be a factor since the camera isn't a vessel that despawns... Right? I can always instal BDArmory and up the distance to whatever I need, but I'd like to avoid that. And can the max zoom be over ridden?

Edit: So I played around with it last night. The maximum zoom should be sufficient. I was successfully able to track a rocket for at least 200km I'd say. But at around that point things get strange.

For one thing KSP still thinks your viewing the craft so everything begins to LoD around 150. After 200 or so KM the camera will begin to either move up or sink down into the ground.

However I think it's completely efficient for watching rockets launch from the ground because your going to be zoomed in anyway and wouldn't have any idea the camera position moved unless you zoomed back out.

Simplifies the process greatly. Thanks for this. In the past it was a mess. You had to create a camera on a infernal robotics mount stable enough to track and you had to up the loading distance with BDArmory to like 300km which in itself is a buggy mess of floating point errors.

This mod completely renders that process obsolete. So again. Thank you. Watching your rockets stage from the ground is just... Everyone should be doing this. Absolutely everyone. And it's so easy with Camera Tools.

Edited by Motokid600

in addition to my request for finer movement controls for manual tracking of objects at extreme zoom levels, it would be nice to more control over the new Field of View, such as showing us the current value and being able to reset to default FoV

Camera tools isn't a priority for me at the moment, but if/when I get back to it, I'll see about implementing some of those requested features.

I had an idea last night about enabling the doppler effects of audio sources when the camera is active, so I may do a tiny mini update soon to give you a toggle-able option for this:

It was really simple - it just sets the doppler for all found audiosources to 1 when you turn on the camera, and resets them to the original settings afterwards.

It's just the built-in unity doppler effect, so don't expect me to make it better. The wind and g-force rumbling audio sources are for some reason attached to the flight camera instead of the vessel, so those are unaffected unfortunately.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Dunno if Bahamuto will be pleased by my intromission, but for all curious about the doppler effect, there is already a (probably incomplete) .dll file in the Github link in first page (the "source" link).

Just go there, click on the "bin/Debug" directory, click on "CameraTools.dll" file, then the "Raw" button. Save it where you placed the original CameraTools.dll in your KSP install.

For me is working, probably it will be refined in the future, but it is a nice preview of the effects... :D

Edited by Araym

On September 20, 2015 at 3:56:54 PM, Canberra Gaming said:

I'm starting to believe it's Windows 10 honestly. I'll run a test in compatibility mode.

Actually win 10 does fight a little with KSP. In the shortcut target field add " -dx9" Win 10 for some reason needs you to to actually flag it as DX9 or " -d3d11"

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.