Crash Dummies

johnqevil

Now announcing my first mod! This mod adds a new resource, CrashDummies, that adds only to the Command Seat in the VAB/SPH and is removed when the vessel is launched. This adds to the weight of the Seat as if a Kerbal was sitting in it. So now, you can plan around the corrected CoM, and will show the corrected mass and dV in any mod that calculates it (MechJeb, Engineer, etc)

Requires ModuleManager.

Release

Source

License: GPLv3

Update: 0.03 released.

Changelog:

0.03: Corrected resource update method to set CrashDummies resource directly to "0" instead of decrementing.

0.02: Initial official release.

Edited by johnqevil

That's a good idea, but why does it need a plugin? Something to do with the off center fuel mass?

Something to dump the Crash Dummy resource when loading to the pad, so the weight calculation remains accurate when you put a Kerbal into it.

- - - Updated - - -

I thought kerbals were weightless, and the weight of the capsule was its weight regardless of how many kerbals you had onboard

This ONLY applies to the Command Seat which adds a small amount of weight with a Kerbal seated.

whoops, I was thinking command seat of the capsule - haven't used Command Seats at all yet in my playthrough so totally forgot they were even a thing :P

Now that I get it tho, this is an excellent idea. Small craft that would use the seat would benefit from proper balance design in the VAB

I just tested it a bit and have a strange issue: Every time I load the craft (in use), one amount of dummy gets subtracted, i.e. starting I have 0 dummy, when I switch to another vessel and then back I have -1, then -2 etc.

Also, when "empyting" the command seat before start, one amount of dummy is still subtracted, so I start with -1. It is probably a bug or some lapse in the code. At this point I would like to ask what you people use for making .dlls. I have some ideas myself, too.

Edit: Sorry, missed the "Source" link. I think you have a loop in your subtraction.

Edited by MisterBennock

This seems useful but I have a question. When a Kerbal sits in the seat is its mass added at the seat's CoM?

Yep, it is. Works just as if a Kerbal were sitting.

- - - Updated - - -

I just tested it a bit and have a strange issue: Every time I load the craft (in use), one amount of dummy gets subtracted, i.e. starting I have 0 dummy, when I switch to another vessel and then back I have -1, then -2 etc.

Also, when "empyting" the command seat before start, one amount of dummy is still subtracted, so I start with -1. It is probably a bug or some lapse in the code. At this point I would like to ask what you people use for making .dlls. I have some ideas myself, too.

Edit: Sorry, missed the "Source" link. I think you have a loop in your subtraction.

That's likely. I'll take a look at it later tonight. EDIT: I use Visual Studio 2013, seems to work fine.

EDIT: Update now. See OP.

Edited by johnqevil

• 4 months later...
I thought kerbals were weightless, and the weight of the capsule was its weight regardless of how many kerbals you had onboard

Kerbals on the command seat actually weigh something (0.09375 in game units) comapared to 0.66 IGUs for the mk1 lander Can.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.