I'm finding a hard time in pointing the ship to the manoeuvre node

Hi,

This is my first post so please be gentle :D.

I'm using Mechjeb's manoeuvre planner a lot when doing my burns in space and when I click on 'execute node' my ship spins around and/or misses the target node completely. I've tried adding putting more reaction wheels, less reaction wheels, disabling/re-enabling them but it still spins around.

My workaround is to warp time when the manoeuvre node is near so that the ship will stop spinning but I find this to tedious.

I'm using NEAR (ferram), maybe that's the cause of this? I don't know. Please help.:sealed:

Edited by Kolgner

@ Moonfrog If the OP is using MechJeb's execute it automatically turns the default SAS off unless they changed the settings to use the default SAS instead of MJ's Smart ASS.

OP, do you have RCS on the ship and is it on or off when this problem occurs?

Do you have enough electrical power to keep the reaction wheels powered up? Without enough power, they could be dropping the electrical power to zero when MJ starts turning toward the node, then not have enough to stop the turn.

Sorry for stupid question but to determine where the problem is, I have to ask:

Can you point the ship at the maneuver node manually?

Yes, but I have to time warp to stabilize it when the node is near. If I don't warp, the ship is very hard to control.

@ Moonfrog If the OP is using MechJeb's execute it automatically turns the default SAS off unless they changed the settings to use the default SAS instead of MJ's Smart ASS.

OP, do you have RCS on the ship and is it on or off when this problem occurs?

Do you have enough electrical power to keep the reaction wheels powered up? Without enough power, they could be dropping the electrical power to zero when MJ starts turning toward the node, then not have enough to stop the turn.

Nope I don't have RCS with the ship, I wanted it to use reaction wheels only.

Maybe I need RCS? and no reaction wheels?

Agreed, keep an eye on the electricity.

Also, how big and how flexible is your ship? Large wobbly things can be difficult to handle. It can help to be controlling from a probe core near the engines, because when it comes to the burn as long as they're pointing the right way it doesn't matter what the rest of the ship does.

Lesson learned: don't install multiple mods all at once, test them one be one first.

Better yet, if you are installing multiple mods, use a binary search algorithm. Install 50% of the mods, and run the game. If it runs fine, install the remaining 50% and run again. If there are problems, delete half the mods most recently installed and run again. If it runs fine, re-install 50% of the ones you removed. Etc etc.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.