Challenge: Simplest Escape and Simplest Orbiter

Simplest rocket to achieve escape velocity and simplest rocket to achieve orbit and safely return crew. STOCK PARTS ONLY!

Here are mine:

[span style=font-weight: bold]The game is not very hard[/span] if all you are trying to do is orbit or achieve escape velocity. I can do it with small two stage rockets and stock parts:

Simple Escaper: This can get 3.3km/s @ 200km (escape velocity is less than 3km/s @ 200km)

Command

3 Tanks

Liquid Engine

Decoupler

Triple coupler

3 Solids

Simple Orbiter:

Chute

Command

Decoupler

3 Tanks

Liquid Engine

Decoupler

Triple coupler

3 Solids

Can anyone beat those?

CXpzD.jpg

This is my smallest ship that I've been able to achieve orbit with. As you can see, very simple. You have to wrestle with the ship on the way up, but once the SRB's are jettisoned its easy to control the craft. If you have trouble though you can still add a SAS module to the main engine and it still flies very well, making it easier to achieve orbit.

Simplest orbiter is Chute, Pod, Decoupler, 4 LFT, 1 LFE, Decoupler (for purposes of dodging the sticky-ground effect). Three tanks without decoupler can get to orbit, but presents difficulties on the safe return front.

EDIT:

Not that it'll stop me from trying...

KSP%20-%20X33.png

Either spin, or manually control.

Ooo, I hadn't tried deliberately spinning for stabilization. Most my spins are accompanied by terrified screams and four-letter words. :)

About how fast do you spin your ship during launch?

It's not too hard to handle. Requires somewhat good piloting skills tho.

Noted. I'm not at the 'good' level yet - I've been trying the designs of this thread and mostly exhausting fuel at around 1600m/s.

Simplest orbiter is Chute, Pod, Decoupler, 4 LFT, 1 LFE, Decoupler (for purposes of dodging the sticky-ground effect). Three tanks without decoupler can get to orbit, but presents difficulties on the safe return front.

EDIT:

Not that it'll stop me from trying...

Have you tried dropping the perigee into the atmosphere? That should get you down without needing too much delta-v.

Have you tried dropping the perigee into the atmosphere? That should get you down without needing too much delta-v.

Oh, that part's easy.

The hard part is landing v. exploding. Note the lack of chute and decouplers (too much of a mass penalty).

Oh, that part's easy.

The hard part is landing v. exploding. Note the lack of chute and decouplers (too much of a mass penalty).

You are landing just using those two winglets???

I've been experimenting trying a single-stage orbiter. After several iterations, Sparrow IV was successful!

Parachute

Command

Decoupler

Fuel

Fuel

Fuel

Fuel

Tridecoupler

Fuel (x3)

Fuel (x3)

Engine (x3)

Currently in a mediocre Orbit ~60k with about 1/4th left in the 3 bottom tanks (more than enough to attempt a landing). It is tough to get going without those solid burners, and steering this thing is a bear because of the torque (as Zapp Brannigan would say, ' Ah, she's built like a steakhouse but she handles like a bistro!')

I've been experimenting trying a single-stage orbiter. After several iterations, Sparrow IV was successful!

Parachute

Command

Decoupler

Fuel

Fuel

Fuel

Fuel

Tridecoupler

Fuel (x3)

Fuel (x3)

Engine (x3)

Currently in a mediocre Orbit ~60k with about 1/4th left in the 3 bottom tanks (more than enough to attempt a landing). It is tough to get going without those solid burners, and steering this thing is a bear because of the torque (as Zapp Brannigan would say, ' Ah, she's built like a steakhouse but she handles like a bistro!')

Nice setup! ;)

Parachute

Command

Decoupler

Fuel

Fuel

Fuel

Fuel

Tridecoupler

Fuel (x3)

Fuel (x3)

Engine (x3)

That is an unruly beast ;D

Well, my simplest orbiter (thus far) is not the simplest here, but it's adequate for my limited skills:

Parachute

Command Capsule

Decouple

SAS

4 LFT

1 LFE

6 SRBs wrapped around the tail

And the LFE configured to ignite together with the solid motors, on the ground, so it can carry its own fat butt and burn off some liquid before being cast free.

I like it because with a simple core and 6 solid strap-on boosters it almost looks like a realistic rocket design, and it gives enough margin in the fuel for correcting my hamhanded piloting and de-orbit burns. My second trial run seems to have it in orbit but, if not, I know its got the delta-V to handle it.

I must say, that's impressive.

Did you have fuel left? Because if not then its TRIPLE super impressive.

Truthfully I couldn't tell you. I was running really low, though; I think I just about had it all used up in the final burst to cushion the landing.

Here's another try:

KSP - So close.png

Kept the fuel tanks intact that time, but the sky's much less impressive.

The hillside had a soft impact event and tore off my engine, yes. =(

You, my dear sir, are insane... Toying with the lives of the poor Kerbals who look up to you to bring them home safely. I can just imagine the sheer horror on their faces as the kearth came ever closer. Well Jeb was probably thinking quietly to himself, 'Man what a thrill'. You can be lucky they survived both your landings as I would have been forced to lay charges against you a the KSPCA for unwarranted cruelty.

Having said that, bravo...! :o

Simplest rocket to achieve escape velocity: Pod - 5 Fuel tanks - Liquid Engine - Decoupler

Simplest rocket to get to orbit and come back safely: Parachute - Pod - 5 Fuel tanks - Liquid Engine - Decoupler

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.