Challenge: Simplest Escape and Simplest Orbiter

Well, my simplest orbiter (thus far) is not the simplest here, but it's adequate for my limited skills:

Parachute

Command Capsule

Decouple

SAS

4 LFT

1 LFE

6 SRBs wrapped around the tail

And the LFE configured to ignite together with the solid motors, on the ground, so it can carry its own fat butt and burn off some liquid before being cast free.

I like it because with a simple core and 6 solid strap-on boosters it almost looks like a realistic rocket design, and it gives enough margin in the fuel for correcting my hamhanded piloting and de-orbit burns. My second trial run seems to have it in orbit but, if not, I know its got the delta-V to handle it.

I'm fond of designs like this, with SRBs attached to a main liquid stage via radial decouplers, and firing the liquid engine simultaneously with the SRBs. Many of my designs carry too much fuel to get off the sticky launchpad, except for the assistance of the SRBs. Once the SRBs provide the initial push, the liquid engines just maintain speed in the lower atmosphere before burning off fuel and accelerating.

I want to see if I can get to orbit and/or escape with 1 LFE, 3 tanks, and 2 or 3 SRBs. If not, I'm absolutely sure 4 tanks will do it.

EDIT: Yup, 3 tanks and 2 SRBs is perfect for LKO insertion. Now to find out how much is needed for escape. :)

Here's a pretty simple escape vehicle. Note this is done on 0.9 X3 so I don't know if it'd work in 0.8.5.

Command

SAS

7 LF tanks

Tricouple

3 LF tanks & 3 LF engines

In 3:30, it achieved 167km at 3137.8 m/s.

First shot unledebo.png

Escape velocity at 170 km is 3028.02 m/s.

It's also single stage to escape.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.