Procedural landing gear mod?

Exerminator2000

In stock there's only 3 types. What do you mean by procedural? Like it automatically chooses the appropriate leg based on size/weight? Not sure if that's possible due to animations.

He said landing gear, not landing legs. I'm guessing He wants something with a variable height. It's very hard even with modded gear to get your plane to sit just right on the runway, have it lined up with the CoM, and still have the flexibility of trying various wing configurations (low, mid, high), while keeping the gear spaced far enough that it doesn't roll the plane on landing, and stable enough that it doesn't wheelbarrow on take off.

There are just so many landing gear concerns, having only 1 set of gear limits design immensely.

Edited by Alshain

Hi, sounds like a great idea, unfortunately if you have a look through the modding sections you will see a lot of very time consuming development being spent just to get 1 set of gear working never mind, multiple sets , there are some very neat things in the works but in reality due to the outright complexity and variations that are really needed I doubt it's even possible to make anything but a very simple gear part procedurally, I'm not even sure if procedural wheels are possible, they may be though, and that would need to be a first step on the way to a concept.

In short don't hold your breath

biggest thing is wheelcollider doesn't scale with the mesh. if tweakscale works the way I think it works, you'll have gear wheels that float or sink into the ground when you make the landing gear bigger and smaller.

Seems to work OK for me. Never had any issues with that.

• 3 months later...
Linking to Adjustable Landing Gear, since this post still shows up high in google. Install this and delete all other landing gear for headache free landing. </thread>

Get this mod and you'll be happy. With your landing gear, at least. Maybe. Hopefully.

(Just be careful as always. It isn't perfect, but it is much more versatile than the stock gear. It worked for me in 0.90, just make sure you install the Firespitter module.)

Get this mod and you'll be happy. With your landing gear, at least. Maybe. Hopefully.

(Just be careful as always. It isn't perfect, but it is much more versatile than the stock gear. It worked for me in 0.90, just make sure you install the Firespitter module.)

Wish it has a large size one for super huge space planes though.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.