[0.90]Addon Controller 1.1 - Toggle addons and parts for individual saves

Uzza

Sounds strange, had no issues with that. Did see some things I could optimize though for when there's no saved games, like not showing some parts of the UI.

Please tell me if it works better now.

Download here. Also updated first post.

With the new version the problem no longer occurs. However I have also removed part catalog since it disabled all the parts. Thanks for updating!

Interesting utility. I think it's something that the stock game should consider handling at some point - especially if Squad start producing their own DLC.

I get The Fear with mods like this though... like, it won't load a parts mod one day and then half my fleet disappears! Haha!

I suspect I'm not the only one. Might explain the slow uptake. :D

My 0.25 install is unlikely to be too critical, so I'll test it out on there.

Interesting utility. I think it's something that the stock game should consider handling at some point - especially if Squad start producing their own DLC.

I get The Fear with mods like this though... like, it won't load a parts mod one day and then half my fleet disappears! Haha!

I suspect I'm not the only one. Might explain the slow uptake. :D

My 0.25 install is unlikely to be too critical, so I'll test it out on there.

I also think it's something that should be in the stock game, though it's impossible to enforce mods to comply to being disabled.

I should be able to prevent you accidentally loosing your fleet though. I could look through the save file and compile a list of all parts used on vessels.

If I detect parts that are no longer included, I could just include all and warn about the discrepancy.

I also removed part catalog, as that was hiding all parts in the VAB. So it could also have been a mod conflict.

It seems there was a bug in my plugin where it did not load any parts when starting a new game, since the whitelist is empty.

I tested with Part Catalog and it seems to work now. I've uploaded a new version again. Download is here, and op post updated.

I can confirm that my initial save was indeed empty. Another thing I noticed is that new mod installs (or updates) do not get their parts added to the safe game automatically. Not sure what the proper behavior would be, for now I will just have to remember to check the part lists after updates.

I can confirm that my initial save was indeed empty. Another thing I noticed is that new mod installs (or updates) do not get their parts added to the safe game automatically. Not sure what the proper behavior would be, for now I will just have to remember to check the part lists after updates.

It is designed to be a whitelist, only allowing what you explicitly allow. Automatically adding means reversing the logic to be a blacklist, with the consequence that you'd have to remove new unwanted parts from all saves, instead of only adding what you want when you want it.

New version (0.5) has been released.

This release adds a warning dialog when loading a game and there are vessels in active flight with disabled parts. The affected parts are activated to prevent the vessels from despawning, though it's possible to ignore this warning the next time the save is loaded, unloading the vessels when viewing them, most quickest by opening tracking station.

This does not prevent vessels from despawning when the parts were removed from the GameData folder entirely.

Edited by Uzza

First, great idea and so far,,,, great mod....

How do you handle when there are multiple .dll's in a plugin dir???

Example, Mechjeb when you add the 'mechjeb addons' such as for GM_Gimble, near and or far..????

I have not found or seen these 'extra' .dll's listed ...

I might be doing something wrong, or might have missed something....

many thanks and again, nice work....

I haven't looked at them, but it could be that those DLLs only contain PartModule classes, and not KSPAddon classes. When I looked at FAR, it seemed to be centered around part modules.

Handling part modules is on my to-do list. Need to see if there's a way to remove them from parts on the fly, or if I need a solution like the API for addons.

• 2 weeks later...

This release is a bit late because I was doing other stuff, but here it is.

This release adds support for disabling part modules, which is the missing puzzle for being able to support disabling all aspects of mods. For this reason the version number has now been bumped up to 1.0.

As usual the new release can be found here or in the first post.

Limitations

As mentioned above, diabling addons will be limited until developers add support in their addons.

Also, after discussions with sarbian about ModuleManager, it seems it's infeasible to implement a way to turn patches on/off on the fly. So integrations with ModuleManager is on hold indefinitely unless a good solution can be found.

As a result, mods that includes changes to other parts using patches will still perform those changes, even if the mod has support for disabling it.

I haven't tried this, but it is something that KSP has needed. Are you familiar with Mod Organizer? It's a mod manager for games like Fallout (3 and New Vegas), Elder Scrolls (Morrowind, Oblivion and Skyrim). The mods are physically installed outside of the game directory in the Mod Organizer's directory. It acts as a launcher for the game and creates a virtual file system so the game only sees what mods you chose to enable. Doing it that way would solve the limitations listed above, but you have to exit the game to enable/disable mods.

I haven't tried this, but it is something that KSP has needed. Are you familiar with Mod Organizer? It's a mod manager for games like Fallout (3 and New Vegas), Elder Scrolls (Morrowind, Oblivion and Skyrim). The mods are physically installed outside of the game directory in the Mod Organizer's directory. It acts as a launcher for the game and creates a virtual file system so the game only sees what mods you chose to enable. Doing it that way would solve the limitations listed above, but you have to exit the game to enable/disable mods.

There are already mod managers available for kerbal, but having to exit the game is one of the things I wanted to avoid as I wanted to be able to seamlessly switch between saves with different mods ingame.

• 2 weeks later...

So has anyone else had issues with NEAR not shutting off when turned off in Addon Controller?

It is working like a dream for every other mod, But NEAR just doesn't want to go away....

Im just wondering if i am having a stupid and missed a secondary addon that ties into NEAR or if there is legitimately an issue here :P

Thanks.

Any chance of putting this on KerbalStuff?

I've added it just now. You can find it here.

So has anyone else had issues with NEAR not shutting off when turned off in Addon Controller?

It is working like a dream for every other mod, But NEAR just doesn't want to go away....

Im just wondering if i am having a stupid and missed a secondary addon that ties into NEAR or if there is legitimately an issue here :P

Thanks.

I would guess that NEAR, just as with FAR, uses both part modules and standalone mod code to do it's work. Ferram commented in the FAR thread on November 1st that it's not possible to add support because of how FAR works, and I'd imagine the same goes for NEAR.

So there's no support for it unfortunately.

I think I have a very strong need for this! Thank you for posting it to KerbalStuff--that was the first whiff I had this addon existed!

You're welcome. :)

It would probably help to put that information in the OP under "Addon Support" -- I've got no problem with FAR being active in all of my saves, but I imagine others would rather not be surprised to find that they're "stuck" with it.

I added it to the OP.

Since some mods work by disabling part modules, but I don't have time to test all mods, it would be nice if everyone that uses my mod could post what mods they use that can be disabled and which can't.

It would be a great help to expanding supported list.

• 4 weeks later...

Sweet! KSP takes forever to load on my computer.

Having just configured mod control for a Dark Multiplayer server, I wonder how you would combine that with this mod? Stock servers are the #1 reason I ever disable mods.

Currently, I don't think it would work. DMP checks if a DLL is at a path and optionally runs a SHA256 checksum on it. It doesn't know anything about this mod having unloaded any particular mods.

Edited by beabop

• 3 weeks later...

I have been a longtime forum lurker, and add-on user. I finally registered so I could bump this thread and ask Uzza about .90 compatibility for this very useful little mod. Even without the add-on support, being able to limit my part catalog was what opened up those massive part mods to me. Any chance of this being updated?

I have been a longtime forum lurker, and add-on user. I finally registered so I could bump this thread and ask Uzza about .90 compatibility for this very useful little mod. Even without the add-on support, being able to limit my part catalog was what opened up those massive part mods to me. Any chance of this being updated?

My motivation for working on this has faded away because of the lack of support and feedback from the rest of the community.

But I'll see if there's anything special that needs to be done for it to be 0.90 compatible.

Edit: A small change was needed. I've uploaded a new version to bitbucket, link is in first post. Entry on KerbalStuff is also updated.

Edited by Uzza

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.