[1.0.1/1.1.3][Semi-Retired, Semi-Revived] Zero-Point Inline Fairings v1.0.2 (2016-04-28)

NecroBones

Zero-Point Inline Fairings

Parts Pack

NOTe: Does NOT shield contents in stock aerodynamics!

Please use FAR or NEAR.

qwFpg7C.jpg

GjBHtpI.jpg

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Supports TweakScale and AVC. Appears to be friendly to FAR/NEAR so far.

Part of the NecroBones suite of mods, that work nicely together:

VERY IMPORTANT NOTE:

1.0 and later versions ARE NOT COMPATIBLE with 0.9.x and earlier! If you are upgrading from 0.9 or earlier, be sure to delete the mod's folder from GameData before installing the new version. Savegames with active ships using the fairings will not be compatible across this transition (you could do a lot of hand-editing if you wish, as the same sizes still exist). Upgrading should be safe if no ships are currently using the fairings.

IMPORTANT NOTE:

This is an EARLY BETA -- That means there's a good chance that the parts will change significantly, and may break your save-games. We're looking for feedback, and have released version 0.1 of this pack after working on it for less than 2 days.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

5-Minute quick overview:

Overview/Tutorial by KottabosGames:

Advantages and Features:

• All fairings support INLINE use, meaning that you can continue the rocket stack above them (such as an exposed command section, or another fairing + payload).
  • Contains only three texture files (base, panels, and cone) shared by all models, so memory usage is light.
  • Contains no mod code, instead relying entirely on the stock engine-fairing modules. This means the mod is unlikely to break when new KSP versions are released, or introduce any new bugs.
  • Ejected panels are non-persistent debris (meaning they are deleted when you move out of physics range or use timewarp).
  • Low additional part-count for your ships. Fairings are created by placing a single part (the base), and possibly a second (nose cone).
  • Stock-alike appearance.
  • Cooperates with other mods, including TweakScale, FAR/NEAR, and AVC.
  • Choice between "full" pack (22 parts), or "Lite" version (6 parts).

Disadvantages: (to be fair)

• Adds a large number of parts to the Aerodynamics tab
  • Not as "pretty" as KW Rocketry
  • Not as "easy" as Procedural Fairings.
  • Fairings are restricted to the included sizes (unless you use TweakScale)

Known Issues:

• Placing an engine as the first part above the fairings (at the "floating node", not the base) will result in a "ghost shroud", when the fairing panels are decoupled. This is just how the stock decoupler/jettison modules work in KSP. Don't worry, those shrouds are non-colliding. If you're using an engine that leaves behind a shroud and this bothers you, the recommended work-around is to place a stack decoupler/separator at the top of the fairing, instead of the engine directly.

Information:

This parts pack is intended to supply an alternate means of using payload fairings in KSP. It's meant to be somewhat stock-alike, and also provide the capability of having inline payloads, with a second vehicle ahead of the fairing section. As a real world example, the Apollo Saturn V had the lander inside a fairing, with the command/service module exposed and ahead of it in the stack.

These fairings use the stock game's fairing jettison module, functioning like the LV-N engine's ejectable fairings.

All of the models and textures were made 100% from scratch, using Blender, Photoshop, and Unity.

Image Gallery:

(Note that the stats, appearances, and descriptions of the parts shown below are subject to change, or may be out of date)

Installation:

Simply copy the "0PinlineFairings" folder into your GameData folder. If upgrading from a previous version, be sure to delete the old one from GameData first (this is the cleanest option).

NOTE: ALWAYS backup your save-games when changing mods! If any parts fail to load (including the stock parts, which can fail to load due to a typo in a mod config), entire ships can be deleted out of your game.

Usage instructions:

1. Build your internal payload first.

2. Don't forget a decoupler on the bottom of the payload!

3. Attach one of the fairing bases beneath the decoupler. (Be careful to choose one that is both wide and tall enough)

4. Build your second vehicle above the fairing, or cap it off with a nose-cone. (Do so by placing your parts on the "floating" attachment node above)

5. If you are stacking an engine right above the fairing (at the "floating node", not the base), you might consider placing a stack-separator here first, to hold the engine-shroud upon decoupling. Otherwise you will get a "ghost shroud" that hovers in place (due to how the shroud jettison works in stock KSP).

6. Your fairing panels will appear automatically upon stacking a part on the floating node.

7. Build the rest of your lifter stages as normal.

The fairings will act as a decoupler for the top of the rocket stack, and will separate at the "floating node" where you continued the stack above (or capped it with a nose cone).

Download the FULL VERSION:

(Contains all 7 fairing sizes (4 lengths each) plus 7 specialized nose cones)

SpaceDock

-or-

Curse.com download page

-or-

ksp.necrobones.com

(( 1.0 and later versions ARE NOT COMPATIBLE with 0.9 and earlier! If you are upgrading from 0.9 or earlier, be sure to delete the mod's folder from GameData before installing the new version. Savegames with active ships using the fairings will not be compatible across this transition (you could do a lot of hand-editing if you wish, as the same sizes still exist). Upgrading should be safe if no ships are currently using the fairings. ))

Download the LITE VERSION:

RETIRED

88x31.png

Creative Commons 4.0 Attribution-NonCommercial-ShareAlike

CC BY-NC-SA

Change Log:

1.0.2 (2016-04-28) - Working toward stock aero support.
 - Moved "ModuelCargoBay" definitions out to 0P-AD.cfg (for "Animated Decouplers" dependency for stock aero).
 - Moved change log and readme into the mod folder.

1.0.1 (2015-06-09) - Fixes
 - Added transparency in VAB/SPH. Known issues: 
    - Flag decals look mangled in VAB/SPH, but look fine in flight.
    - Must mouse-over the base, not the fairing.
 - Updated Deadly Reentry config with more current data.
 - Updated the DRE config to not lower the heat resistence of the nose cones when DRE is not being used.
 - Added "ModuleCargoBay" modules to fairing bases, with hope of working toward stock aero support.

1.0 (2015-05-28) - Re-release after KSP 1.0.
 - Redesigned quite heavily. 
    - Requires FAR/NEAR or similar aerodynamics mod. WILL NOT SHIELD CONTENTS WITH STOCK AERO.
    - Fairing bases consolidated. 4 lengths per base.
    - Panels now separate in halves rather than quarters.
    - Updated tech tree assignments to correspond to new stock fairing diameters.
    - Added matching "flush" nose cones for sizes 1 & 2 (1.25m & 2.5m).
    - Added new bulkhead profile and thermal settings for KSP 1.0+.
    - Renamed nose cones to match more recent fairing naming scheme.
    - Various size and scaling adjustments.
    - Minor texture updates.
    - Updated textures to use DDS format.
 - Lite version of mod is discontinued.

0.9.1 (2014-12-22) - Minor tweaks
 - Added DRE support, by including a wildcard heat-shield config for the nose-cones (full version only)

0.9 (2014-12-16) - Minor tweaks
 - Added manufacturer tag to item names to make all fairings name-sort together.
 - Fixed manufacturer icon in VAB/SPH manufacturer-sort.

0.8.1 (2014-11-17) - Beta Release - "Full version"-only sorting fix.
 - (Reminder: incompatible with v0.6 and earlier)
 - (Note: Remember to delete the old 0PinlineFairings folder before installing, otherwise you'll get duplicate parts in the menu)
 - Re-ordered the sorting of the fairing bases in the SPH/VAB (Full version only). Not game-breaking.

0.8 (2014-11-15) - Beta Release 
 - (Reminder: incompatible with v0.6 and earlier)
 - Added Size-1 (1.25m) flush fairings (Full version only).
 - Added Size-3 (3.75m) flush nose-cone (Full version only).
 - Fixed "model" assignments for the "Lite" pack's fairings, causing them not to load unless the "Full" pack was installed too.  

0.7 (2014-11-14) - Beta Release -- WARNING: Incompatible & Save-Breaking update from Previous Versions
 - Consolidated fairing bases to reduce part clutter. 
    - "Full" version reduced to 12 bases (from 18), with two lengths each (adding 6 new total sizes)
    - "Lite" version reduced to 3 bases (from 6), also with two lengths each (same sizes available).
    - Now, choose a base, then choose length by selecting a floating node to stack onto.
    - Note: Be careful not to attach other parts to the other floating nodes accidentally.
 - Added shorter versions of fairings (in "Full" version only)
 - Overhauled mass and cost of all fairings.
 - VAB/SPH icons now show just the fairing bases (not the fairing tube panels).

0.6 (2014-10-08) - Beta Release
 - Reduced purchase & research costs of all fairings by 90%. Somehow an extra zero was tacked on.
 - Fixed a typo in one of the configs, that had an entry cost set to "aero" (yeah, I don't know)

0.5 (2014-10-07) - Beta Release
 - Fixed scaling issues, to align with 0.25's rescaleFactor bug fix.

0.4 (2014-09-29) - Beta Release
 - Tweaked the scaling on the "flush" fairings to be a hair wider.
 - Fixed aspect ratio of flag-decal on the "flush" fairings.
 - Renamed:  Wide -> ExtraWide, and:  Regular -> Expanded
 - Forked "Inline Fairings Lite" as separate download with smaller parts list.
 - Tweaked the panel ejection slightly.

0.3 (2014-09-24) - Beta Release
 - Reduced mass of all parts
 - Changed TweakScale settings to allow "free" scaling of the 2.5m "Regular" and "Wide" fairings
	(to give them separate functionality from the otherwise identical 1.25m variants)

0.2 (2014-09-21) - Beta Release
 - Added AVC (Add-on Version Checker) support.
 - Fixed attachment point in the Size-2 Regular Nose Cone

0.1 (2014-09-20) - Initial Beta
 - First release. Only 2 days of work making the parts so far. 

As a Proc. Fairing user, why would I choose this mod over it? To me, personally, all I see is this adding is a ton of new parts to my already cluttered list, each needing their own texture meaning more RAM usage. I'm not trying to be rude, I legitimately would like to know how and why this would be better option than Proc Fairings.

As a Proc. Fairing user, why would I choose this mod over it? To me, personally, all I see is this adding is a ton of new parts to my already cluttered list, each needing their own texture meaning more RAM usage. I'm not trying to be rude, I legitimately would like to know how and why this would be better option than Proc Fairings.

That's a "fair" question. (I can do that too! lol) :)

It's entirely your choice, and obviously it's not going to be for everyone.

Personally, I didn't stick with the procedural fairings, because no matter what I did, they always looked strange to me. They always looked oversized on my rockets, but a lot of that of course was my own fault for having big payloads. And while this pack also gives you some huge fairings (the widest is 6m), it also gives you some narrow ones as well.

But here's where the big difference is-- These fairings allow for additional stacking ABOVE the fairing (hence the name "inline fairings"). You can do a Saturn-V style rocket, with an exposed command section at the top, and a second payload inside the fairing. All of the fairings in this pack work this way. All of the screenshots with a cone at the top, are using the optional nose-cones on top of the fairing. The additional stacking above, is the primary use-case that inspired making these.

It does add a bunch of parts to the parts list, there's no avoiding that. But the memory usage is light. There's only one set of textures (base, cone, and panels), and all of the models use those same three texture files, so memory usage is pretty minimal.

Edited by NecroBones

But here's where the big difference is-- These fairings allow for additional stacking ABOVE the fairing (hence the name "inline fairings"). You can do a Saturn-V style rocket, with an exposed command section at the top, and a second payload inside the fairing. All of the fairings in this pack work this way. All of the screenshots with a cone at the top, are using the optional nose-cones on top of the fairing. The additional stacking above, is the primary use-case that inspired making these.

I do that all the time with Procedural Fairings, it's one of the best ways to create aerodynamic multiple-engine shrouds. The biggest difference seems to be the flag decal.

I do that all the time with Procedural Fairings, it's one of the best ways to create aerodynamic multiple-engine shrouds. The biggest difference seems to be the flag decal.

OK fair enough; I didn't think it could do that. I haven't used it in quite a long time. :)

It looks like Procedural Fairings has gotten a lot more robust since the last time I looked at it.

Another important note, is that this pack is just a parts pack, using stock code and nothing else, so it's unlikely to cause any new bugs, bad mod interactions, or break with new KSP versions.

Again, it's not going to be for everyone, and that's OK.

Edited by NecroBones

That's what I was thinking and aiming the question when I asked it. Thanks for confirming my suspensions.

OK fair enough; I didn't think it could do that. I haven't used it in quite a long time. :)

It looks like Procedural Fairings has gotten a lot more robust since the last time I looked at it.

Another important note, is that this pack is just a parts pack, using stock code and nothing else, so it's unlikely to cause any new bugs, bad mod interactions, or break with new KSP versions.

Again, it's not going to be for everyone, and that's OK.

Nice to see that it's lightweight with low amounts of textures / memory usage. Also, like you said, it uses stock code so if something does change it should be a simple fix. You also have the people who don't like adding plugins to their games, so this is a pack for them. Once again, nice work, and thanks for answering my question! I'm glad you interpreted it the way you did; it's hard to imply and get the correct expressions across with only letters on the screen. :)

Nice to see that it's lightweight with low amounts of textures / memory usage. Also, like you said, it uses stock code so if something does change it should be a simple fix. You also have the people who don't like adding plugins to their games, so this is a pack for them. Once again, nice work, and thanks for answering my question! I'm glad you interpreted it the way you did; it's hard to imply and get the correct expressions across with only letters on the screen. :)

Yep, no worries. :)

Another notable difference worth pointing out, is that the panels are non-persistent debris, since it's using the stock engine-fairing module. So it doesn't generate space garbage (unless you use the nose-cones, of course), plus you're only placing one base object, which helps keep the part count down.

That's a "fair" question. (I can do that too! lol) :)

It's entirely your choice, and obviously it's not going to be for everyone.

Personally, I didn't stick with the procedural fairings, because no matter what I did, they always looked strange to me. They always looked oversized on my rockets, but a lot of that of course was my own fault for having big payloads. And while this pack also gives you some huge fairings (the widest is 6m), it also gives you some narrow ones as well.

It does add a bunch of parts to the parts list, there's no avoiding that. But the memory usage is light. There's only one set of textures (base, cone, and panels), and all of the models use those same three texture files, so memory usage is pretty minimal.

Yeah that's one thing I disliked about Procedural Fairings, they can make a nice rocket look like it is push up a giant egg in space. Though Procedural Fairings use minimal parts, thats the plus for it. I usually use KW Rocketry fairing, I pull the fairings out as well as the batteries to use in my game, but KW has a limit number of ways a player can go with them if using stock stuff.

Number of parts in this mod shouldn't be a big deal these days, since there is 64 bit version of the game and there is Part Catalog mod to, select certain mods.

This mod looks pretty cool, I am going to try it out now.

Another notable difference worth pointing out, is that the panels are non-persistent debris, since it's using the stock engine-fairing module. So it doesn't generate space garbage (unless you use the nose-cones, of course), plus you're only placing one base object, which helps keep the part count down.

That's actually a decent reason to use this. That and the flag decal. Anyway, while it isn't for me (for reasons like RSS and wanting fairing bases that go to 11), I think this is a great looking pack of parts you've got.

That's actually a decent reason to use this. That and the flag decal. Anyway, while it isn't for me (for reasons like RSS and wanting fairing bases that go to 11), I think this is a great looking pack of parts you've got.

Yep, no worries. It's a useful discussion to have, and I've been updating the description with the pros/cons that we've discussed. Thanks :)

This is probably the strongest argument for your fairings. I think the best use for your fairings is as a shroud for custom engine clusters.

One question: Can the fairings be jettisoned without separating the rocket?

This is probably the strongest argument for your fairings. I think the best use for your fairings is as a shroud for custom engine clusters.

One question: Can the fairings be jettisoned without separating the rocket?

Unfortunately, no. It's the decoupling that ejects the panels. Just like with the engine shrouds, that attachment node has to disconnect to trigger them to separate. In terms of the visuals, this makes sense anyway, since the panels are the supporting structure for whatever is stacked above it. If the panels detached without decoupling at the top, you'd have a rigid "invisible" attachment between the top and bottom sections of the rocket. :)

Now, if you did some sort of part-clipping thing where the fairing base is the only thing attached to your rocket directly, then you could do it. But that would require placing something at the top of the fairing in order to make the panels appear in the first place, and that would probably be somewhere inside your ship when you decouple the panels. That's probably not a good thing.

Unfortunately, no. It's the decoupling that ejects the panels. Just like with the engine shrouds, that attachment node has to disconnect to trigger them to separate. In terms of the visuals, this makes sense anyway, since the panels are the supporting structure for whatever is stacked above it. If the panels detached without decoupling at the top, you'd have a rigid "invisible" attachment between the top and bottom sections of the rocket. :)

Now, if you did some sort of part-clipping thing where the fairing base is the only thing attached to your rocket directly, then you could do it. But that would require placing something at the top of the fairing in order to make the panels appear in the first place, and that would probably be somewhere inside your ship when you decouple the panels. That's probably not a good thing.

Right, that's about what I figured.

Version 0.3 is up. It's a small update, but worth getting out to everyone anyway.

0.3 (2014-09-24) - Beta Release
- Reduced mass of all parts
- Changed TweakScale settings to allow "free" scaling of the 2.5m "Regular" and "Wide" fairings
(to give them separate functionality from the otherwise identical 1.25m variants)

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.