[1.0.1/1.1.3][Semi-Retired, Semi-Revived] Zero-Point Inline Fairings v1.0.2 (2016-04-28)

NecroBones

Great looking stuff here, but the part count is...intimidating.

Are individual models used for the different sizes or are they just upscaled versions of the same model?

If they are the same, then great! TweakScale to the rescue ;)

Yes, and no. :) Each model is used twice. The pack comes with fairings in three widths (relative to the stack diameter), and then three lengths for each of those. Each of those nine models is used for two stack diameters (hence each model being used twice, via scaling).

The nose cones models are used twice each as well (2 models = 4 parts).

So the part catalog can feasibly be cut in half, if relying just on tweakscale. By default, to differentiate it a bit, the TweakScale settings are different for the duplicated sets (that is, one uses "stack" scaling, and the other is set to "free" scaling).

I'll have to think about what would be best for making a patch, or alternate download for this.

But for the time being, if you're up for doing it manually, to cut the part list down and stick to TweakScale:

1. Go into "GameData\0PinlineFairings\Parts"

2. Keep these (sorted alphabetically, just noting since they're first in the list):

part1mW1L4.cfg through part2mW0L9.cfg

partNose1mW1.cfg and partNose1mW2.cfg

3. Delete these (sorted alphabetically):

part2mW1L4.cfg through part3mW0L9.cfg

partNose2mW1.cfg and partNose2mW2.cfg

I'll have to think about what would be best for making a patch, or alternate download for this.

I have an Idea for a Alternative Download configuration.

I'm looking for a Alternative for Procedural Fairings, because part of engineering is working with the parts you have and work within your possibilities, and PF is a little overpowered just offering the right fairings for ALL situations. Also i like the stock feeling of your mod, especially that the fairings disappear and no debris are left behind, although i don't like how they jettison. It looks kinda random and not as good as PF but i think thats part of KSPs EngineShrout Mechanism.

So i thought of which of these parts are necessary and will be used often and which look kinda weird ors unrealistic (too long) or probably wouldn't be used much.

Here is what i came up with:

Create an Alternative Pack like '0-Point Stock Fairings' and REMOVE:

-ALL Nosecones

-ALL 'wide' variants

-ALL 'long' variants

-The size-1 regular/medium

-And either the size-1 regular/short OR the size-2 flush/short

(you see both of them in the picture below, seeing they have very similar payload volume, erasing the need for one of them.)

Resulting in a Pack containing just 6 Parts ! So 2 rows in the Editor, fullfilling nearly every need you'd need. At least you can engineer every task imaginable to be fullfilled with these fairings, which is part of the engineering challenge. If something really doesn't fit in the biggest of this, it is either big enough to be designed streamlined itself or it is time to assemble something in orbit.

Here's an image comparing the fairings with a craft to see the scale:

dOVHDGc.png

What do you think of this idea of a condensed 'stock' Alternative package?

What do you think of this idea of a condensed 'stock' Alternative package?

I like it. I like it a lot actually. I could see naming it with something like "Lite" in there, to signify that it's the smaller package very clearly.

Between the choices you suggested, I'm tempted to ditch the size-1 regular. You can still use flat-adapters to get a wider fairing, with the next size up (the flush size-2 short). I'm going to look over the list, and think about what makes the most sense for both TweakScale and non-TweakScale users. But I like what you suggested here.

I'm also looking at fixing the attachment height at the top of the fairings, so the nose-cones don't sink in. I was trying to avoid gaps at the top, but I think I overdid it.

Edited by NecroBones

I like it. I like it a lot actually. I could see naming it with something like "Lite" in there, to signify that it's the smaller package very clearly.

Between the choices you suggested, I'm tempted to ditch the size-1 regular. You can still use flat-adapters to get a wider fairing, with the next size up (the flush size-2 short). I'm going to look over the list, and think about what makes the most sense for both TweakScale and non-TweakScale users. But I like what you suggested here.

I'm also looking at fixing the attachment height at the top of the fairings, so the nose-cones don't sink in. I was trying to avoid gaps at the top, but I think I overdid it.

OK, done and done. I have several fixes ready for the next release, including fixing the aspect ratio of the flag decal on the flush fairings, and fixing the attachment point at the top of the widened fairings. I also made tweaks to the ejection force/direction on the panels, but I'm not sure how much that helps, since KSP seems to mostly ignore the settings.

I also renamed the widths: Regular -> Expanded, and Wide -> Extra Wide.

I have a second copy of the mod, getting ready for the "Lite" variant. I went ahead and took out all of the size-1 parts and the "extra wide" parts, and left it with the short & medium pairs of the other sets.

Since 0.25 is right around the corner (I'm guessing early next week), I'll probably be doing an update to all of my mods at once, to adjust the research costs at the very least. So I'll probably aim to push these updates out sometime next week when 0.25 hits.

Since 0.25 is right around the corner (I'm guessing early next week), I'll probably be doing an update to all of my mods at once, to adjust the research costs at the very least. So I'll probably aim to push these updates out sometime next week when 0.25 hits.

Since we're not seeing the big media-burst yet, I'm going to assume we're not getting 0.25 in the next few days. I can always make another release if I need to adjust prices or tech-tree settings. But I wanted to get the newer tweaks out for people, as well as the "Lite" version of the mod. And thus, 0.4 is up!

0.4 (2014-09-29) - Beta Release
- Tweaked the scaling on the "flush" fairings to be a hair wider.
- Fixed aspect ratio of flag-decal on the "flush" fairings.
- Renamed: Wide -> ExtraWide, and: Regular -> Expanded
- Forked "Inline Fairings Lite" as separate download with smaller parts list.
- Tweaked the panel ejection slightly.

Nice work! Maybe I don't fully understand Procedural Fairings completely either, so for me, this mod is something I've wanted. I have one suggestions though. Could you make a button in the right-click menu that make the shrouds invisible? So you can make changes to the payload without having to remove the the fairingbase.

Also, I'm not getting any panel separation at all ever. What's up with that?

Running 64 bit on Linux, haven't tried it in a vanilla install though.

That's bizarre, and makes me wonder if it's an interaction with another mod. Do you have anything that affects engine fairings? Particularly the LV-N nuclear engine's fairing panels? These fairings use the same stock module that the LV-N does, but with the decoupler in the same object. Is it decoupling at the top of the fairing when it is supposed to?

I don't think I have anything interfering with the fairing module, the only thing i can think of would be Tweakable Everything as mentioned above. The top part decouples fine, but the fairing never separates and they seem to have a hitbox as the decoupled part rests on top.

I don't think I have anything interfering with the fairing module, the only thing i can think of would be Tweakable Everything as mentioned above. The top part decouples fine, but the fairing never separates and they seem to have a hitbox as the decoupled part rests on top.

Huh. Do you have some screenshots? I'm wondering if there's an issue with a particular fairing, or a particular part placed on top. The panels do gain collidable physics once decoupled, so it must be at least partially working.

I would like to try to replicate what you're doing as closely as I can, so I'd love to see which fairing it is, and what's placed on top. It's possible (perhaps likely) that Tweakable Everything is causing problems. I stopped using it myself, when it caused stability issues for me, and had some odd interactions with some parts.

Wow, NecroBones - that's unexpected. We met a few times on UO Atlantic, I think.

Thanks for the fairings.

Hey, wow, that's a blast from the past. :) People usually recognize me from the Tribes-2 days, but UO Atlantic. That was what, 17 years ago now? Awesome! :)

That's bizarre, and makes me wonder if it's an interaction with another mod. Do you have anything that affects engine fairings? Particularly the LV-N nuclear engine's fairing panels? These fairings use the same stock module that the LV-N does, but with the decoupler in the same object. Is it decoupling at the top of the fairing when it is supposed to?

TweakableEverything does indeed break these fairing separations.

TweakableEverything does indeed break these fairing separations.

That's what I was afraid of. There's really nothing I can do, since I'm using the stock fairing system, and that's a bug with Tweakable Everything. I'll just have to start an "incompatible" list, I suppose.

Well damn.

Sorry necro, but one has to go...

Yep, no worries. I may bring it up on their thread, if I can find some time to do some testing with it. If it's interfering with this, it's likely messing with the LV-N fairings as well.

I wish I could remember the other oddities it was causing when I used it, earlier in the year. But it was buggy enough for me to uninstall it.

Updated the fairings to support 0.25. This is an important fix, since 0.25 fixed the "rescaleFactor" bug in the MODEL configs, which these parts had to work around. The settings have been adjusted to take into account the bug fix now.

0.5 (2014-10-07) - Beta Release
- Fixed scaling issues, to align with 0.25's rescaleFactor bug fix.

Hi,

Great mod!! :) but entry cost of 2000/20000/22000/30000 per part and 500/600/5000/10000 part cost seems a "little" high

edit: a typo in "part2mW1L8" or "part2mW2L4" can't remember, says "entryCost = Aero"

Edited by superm18

Hi,

Great mod!! :) but entry cost of 2000/20000/22000/30000 per part and 500/600/5000/10000 part cost seems a "little" high

edit: a typo in "part2mW1L8" or "part2mW2L4" can't remember, says "entryCost = Aero"

Gah! Good point. I'll take a look at those things.

Gah! Good point. I'll take a look at those things.

Fixed the typo, and reduced the costs on all of the fairings:

0.6 (2014-10-08) - Beta Release
- Reduced purchase & research costs of all fairings by 90%. Somehow an extra zero was tacked on.
- Fixed a typo in one of the configs, that had an entry cost set to "aero" (yeah, I don't know)

This is exactly the mod I've been looking for. I've just never been able to wrap my head around getting procedural fairings to work and look good inline. KW fairings work great for my unmanned probes, but I hated covering up command pods with fairings. (Making quick aborts impossible), let alone the difficulty of creating Apollo-style rockets that way.

Very cool! Thanks for the quick update for the resize bug fix. (Edit: Or was it the price typo you fixed? Gah... tired. ;) ) It's nice to have a simple alternative to pFairings for those times when I just want something quick and easy.

Edited by Cydonian Monk

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.