[1.0.1/1.1.3][Semi-Retired, Semi-Revived] Zero-Point Inline Fairings v1.0.2 (2016-04-28)

NecroBones

Just now, linuxgurugamer said:

Well, what I was thinking of would be to take Kerbas_ad_astra's patch as a mod, with requirements of ZPIF & animated Decouplers.

once I find the patch (that link isn't working), I could do that later today

That would be great!

5 minutes ago, NecroBones said:

That would be great!

Ok.

I found the patch, please take a quick look at this and confirm it is correct:

@PART[0Pfairing*]:HAS[@MODULE[ModuleDecouple]]:NEEDS[AnimatedDecouplers]
{
    @MODULE[ModuleDecouple],*
    {
        @name = ModuleAnimatedDecoupler
    }

MODULE
    {
        name = ModuleCargoBay
        DeployModuleIndex = 1
        closedPosition = 0
        lookupCenter = 0,2,0
        lookupRadius = 3.5

}

MODULE
    {
        name = ModuleCargoBay
        DeployModuleIndex = 4
        closedPosition = 0
        lookupCenter = 0,3,0
        lookupRadius = 4
    }

MODULE
    {
        name = ModuleCargoBay
        DeployModuleIndex = 7
        closedPosition = 0
        lookupCenter = 0,4,0
        lookupRadius = 5
    }

MODULE
    {
        name = ModuleCargoBay
        DeployModuleIndex = 10
        closedPosition = 0
        lookupCenter = 0,5,0
        lookupRadius = 6
    }
}

The netkan file is pretty easy to do. 

Thanks

1 minute ago, linuxgurugamer said:

Ok.

I found the patch, please take a quick look at this and confirm it is correct:

{
    {
    }

MODULE
    {
        name = ModuleCargoBay
        DeployModuleIndex = 1
        closedPosition = 0
        lookupCenter = 0,2,0
        lookupRadius = 3.5

}

MODULE
    {
        name = ModuleCargoBay
        DeployModuleIndex = 4
        closedPosition = 0
        lookupCenter = 0,3,0
        lookupRadius = 4
    }

MODULE
    {
        name = ModuleCargoBay
        DeployModuleIndex = 7
        closedPosition = 0
        lookupCenter = 0,4,0
        lookupRadius = 5
    }

MODULE
    {
        name = ModuleCargoBay
        DeployModuleIndex = 10
        closedPosition = 0
        lookupCenter = 0,5,0
        lookupRadius = 6
    }
}

The netkan file is pretty easy to do. 

Thanks

It looks right. Might just have to verify that those "DeployModuleIndex" numbers match up with the decoupler module order in the CFGs, but it should be good.

14 minutes ago, NecroBones said:

It looks right. Might just have to verify that those "DeployModuleIndex" numbers match up with the decoupler module order in the CFGs, but it should be good.

can you explain, I'm not quite sure what to look for

Thanks

20 minutes ago, linuxgurugamer said:

can you explain, I'm not quite sure what to look for

Thanks

All of the "MODULE { something }" sections in the part configs will be imported by KSP in the order that they're in the file. And each of those "ModuleCargoBay" sections in the patch are designed to point to one specific other module, and that's what the "DeployModuleIndex" number is for. It just tells it, by the order defined in the file, which other module is the decoupler that the cargo-bay size is associated with.

One wrinkle to be careful of -- DeployModuleIndex is zero-indexed (i.e. if the cargo bay's state is controlled by the first module in the part entry, DeployModuleIndex should be zero).  Your DeployModuleIndices are all off by one.

The last release of ZPIF (1.0.1) has a ModuleCargoBay that doesn't work, which NecroBones planned to remove for the next release, and he wrote his patch (that you copied) assuming that he would make that change, which didn't happen.  My patch (the link is now fixed, and I've reproduced it below), which was written to work with ZPIF as it was (and still is), begins by adapting the nonfunctional MCB and adding three more, with the indices set accordingly.

{
    {
    }

@MODULE[ModuleCargoBay]
    {
        @DeployModuleIndex = 2
        lookupCenter = 0,2,0
        @lookupRadius = 3.5
        -nodeOuterAftID = unnecessary
        -nodeInnerAftID = unnecessary
    }

MODULE
    {
        name = ModuleCargoBay
        DeployModuleIndex = 5
        closedPosition = 0
        lookupCenter = 0,3,0
        lookupRadius = 4
    }

MODULE
    {
        name = ModuleCargoBay
        DeployModuleIndex = 8
        closedPosition = 0
        lookupCenter = 0,4,0
        lookupRadius = 5
    }

MODULE
    {
        name = ModuleCargoBay
        DeployModuleIndex = 11
        closedPosition = 0
        lookupCenter = 0,5,0
        lookupRadius = 6
    }
}

Crap, it's been so long, I totally forgot that I was sitting on that change. I'll push it out right now.

EDIT: Updated:

1.0.2 (2016-04-28) - Working toward stock aero support.
 - Moved "ModuelCargoBay" definitions out to 0P-AD.cfg (for "Animated Decouplers" dependency for stock aero).
 - Moved change log and readme into the mod folder.

I just found this on CKAN. Looks great. Just a question though, if there is a version that doesn't require FAR, but yet CKAN requires FAR to be installed because the stock aero version requires the standard version of this mod which does require FAR, so does that mean I can take out FAR?

17 minutes ago, MachoCyclone said:

I just found this on CKAN. Looks great. Just a question though, if there is a version that doesn't require FAR, but yet CKAN requires FAR to be installed because the stock aero version requires the standard version of this mod which does require FAR, so does that mean I can take out FAR?

Yeah, it's a little circuitous like that. But yes, if you use that "stock" config, with AnimatedDecouplers, then you should be able to remove FAR and still have the payloads shielded by the fairings.

58 minutes ago, NecroBones said:

Yeah, it's a little circuitous like that. But yes, if you use that "stock" config, with AnimatedDecouplers, then you should be able to remove FAR and still have the payloads shielded by the fairings.

Ok. Thanks.

• 2 weeks later...

Oh, neat! Semi-revived!

So stupid question then: with the updated version and the dependencies, would it be possible for this to work in 1.0.5? Or is everything only 1.1.x-compatible?

I'm waiting on other mods to update. Most of the one I use have, but I'm seriously waiting on Adjustable Landing Gears... and/or stock adjustment to the wheel system since 1.1.x is really odd compared to what I'm used to in 1.0.x. I'm just futzing around in 1.0.5 now while I wait, especially since I got my installation mostly stabilized in 64-bit.

I always liked 0PIF mainly because I could easily make stacked rockets with fairings. (I was once able to toss up a Munar RemoteTech set-up in one rocket launch that was 3 comsats and a surface relay station thanks to this mod back in 0.90 with NEAR installed.)

5 hours ago, StahnAileron said:

Oh, neat! Semi-revived!

So stupid question then: with the updated version and the dependencies, would it be possible for this to work in 1.0.5? Or is everything only 1.1.x-compatible?

Not a stupid question at all! Yes, it should still work the same in 1.0.5. I didn't need to change anything for 1.1.X.

• 6 months later...
On ‎11‎/‎28‎/‎2016 at 11:43 AM, linuxgurugamer said:

@NecroBones Is this needed anymore in 1.2?  If so, are you going to recompile it ?

I think as time has gone on, these have become less and less useful. They probably don't need any recompile, but they're also probably not getting much use anymore.

• 11 months later...
  • 9 months later...

I've got a couple ships and probes in my current game built with inline fairings, and I just used CKAN to remove FAR because it hasn't been updated to work with 1.4.5 yet. The problem comes when CKAN removed inline fairings.  Spacedock has a version inline fairings that is good through 1.4.1 but requires FAR.  There is also a version on spacedock that doesn't require FAR, however, that mod is only up to KSP 1.2.1  

Any advice?

• 3 years later...

Hello everyone! Sorry for my extremely long absence. I've moved on to a variety of other things, and as I'm sure you've noticed, I'm not maintaining these mods anymore. Zer0Kerbal has requested taking over maintenance of my mods, and so I've added him to the list of authors on Spacedock and Curseforge, so that these can continue to be updated to work on current versions of KSP. Thank you everyone for all of the love and support over the years. All of this has changed my life in ways I can't begin to describe, and has been some of the best online experience I've had to date. So I'm quite glad that others are willing to pick up the mantle and allow these mods to continue to be used.

Thanks everyone!

@DasSkelett@HebaruSan

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.