Anyone playing with installed mods...please help

sam1133

Hi, been playing this brilliant game, and do love to use mods, as i do in all my games...but i keep finding the game crash alot...yes i do put alot of mods in, but i have a strong up to date pc that can handle it...unfortunatly i dont have the patience to test which mods work well with others...so basically...may i ask some of the more experianced players to give me a list of their mods, that they know work ok together, so i can use these, and get on playing the game...instead of constant crashes and getting totaly fed up.

i do like utility mods, and novapunch...but will be happy with what i am given..lol.

useing 64bit version.

thank you

sam

sam1333, Almost all mods should theoretically work with 64-bit, but 64-bit is largely unstable. Some people can get it to work, others can't. I can't even get it to launch. However, most people say that despite 64-bit it still seems to have the same memory cap that 32 bit does so you aren't really gaining anything by using it. The mods your going to use are the same ones you would use in 32-bit, at least until the 64-bit issues are resolved.

As far as which mods to use, it largely depends on your play style, there is no wrong way to play but everyone does things differently. Most GUI-only mods will take very little to run. These are things like Kerbal Alarm Clock, Kerbal Engineer (v1 can be partless, and you can delete the legacy parts), TAC Fuel Balancer, Toolbar, Precise Node, basically anything that doesn't include either parts, visual effects, or static elements falls into this category.

Parts packs, like NovaPuch, will likely take most of your memory. Bigger ones, also like NovaPunch, are going to be that much more intensive, so many try to find smaller more precise packs to do exactly what they want rather than large packs that encompass wide varieties of parts they won't use. This group includes things like KW Rocketry, B9, Spaceplane+, NovaPunch, etc. Active Texture Management can help you keep the memory space from these below the cap, but it makes your start up very very long, and textures look quite terrible, especially the moon or the polar caps of Kerbin.

Visual effects I'm not entierly sure of, I don't use them a lot. Things like Hot Rockets, I'm not sure if that takes a lot of memory resources or not. However, things like Environmental Visual Enhancements and all it's various texture packs do take a fair amount, not as much as parts packs though.

KerbTown, Kerbal Konstructs, and all of their supported plugins add static elements to the world, these are nearly as memory intensive as parts packs because they contain similar artwork.

Edited by Alshain

This thread is a perfect example of why at this point we need mod pack managers to step up and offer packs with pre-tested mods for the KSP community.

@sam: I am working on testing mods to combine into a mod pack. Feel free to check it out and help us test if interested! It's the community's first mod list turned pack project that appears to be taking off rather well: Inigma's KSP Essentials Mod List & Pack It's being developed for 32 bit since the current list isn't 64 bit friendly yet. We might release a separate 64 bit mod pack (Bare Essentials?) after we release KSP Essentials.

Even if x64 did run in a stable way, mod packs that supposedly guarantee compatibility are flawed in the simple truth that your computer is not everyones computer. Just because you have a computer with 16GB of RAM to fill (I picked an arbitrary number FYI) doesn't mean that I have that much. On top of that your assuming everyone plays the way you do. Not to pick on you inigma, but I notice Editor Extensions on your pack list listed as "essential", I hate that mod, it drives me crazy.

There really is no reason for mod packs. If you want mods, find the ones you like and try them out. If you over-do it, use Active Texture Management or remove those that aren't necessary.

Edited by Alshain

Wow, thank you everyone...fantastic...ok will go back to 32bit and yes thinking about it, useing 64bit has increased the old crashing thing quite a a lot.

i do agree about mod packs and not everyones cup of tea, but personaly i find them a huge help...i use them in games like silenthunter 5 etc and find they have ironed out alot of the problems of combining mods and instability problems...and for that reason any made for KSP, i'll probably snap up and use.

also would like to add, that of all the game forums i have used, this KSP forum is certainly one of the most friendly and informative i have used...thank you every one and thank you to the modders, whose hard work have made some brilliant mods...excellent.

Yeah, Sam just check out your logs that get put out on your next crash. If you can make sense of it, that'll tell you what's causing the crashes. If you can't understand it then make a new thread with the logs and post it in the correct section and people will tell you how to fix your exact problems.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.