FPS Viewer

Ippo

FPS Viewer

A Frames Per Second indicator

This little thing is so simple I'm not even going to bother making a proper forum post.

It just adds a little window that will show your frames per second in game. You can bring it up by pressing LeftAlt + F at any time.

Download from kerbalstuff, view the source code on github, the license is WTF Public License.

All of this because I'm too lazy to install fraps.

Never saw a circus_tent in a commit.

For this alone I will dl & use the mod :D

It's added by Github for windows when you create a new repo :)

Also, the reason is that my new PC is here (well... its components) and I was curious to see how many FPS I can squeeze out of KSP on a 770 :cool:

It's added by Github for windows when you create a new repo :)

Also, the reason is that my new PC is here (well... its components) and I was curious to see how many FPS I can squeeze out of KSP on a 770 :cool:

Nice! So what's your new avg?

Brilliant. It works in Linux 64 bit too!

I'd be very surprised if it didn't: take a look at the only line of code that makes this work. All the rest of the file (and it's still pretty short) is just stuff to draw the window.

By the way: I know it flickers a lot, but as you can see, I'm already using Unity's smoothed framerate. There is basically no documentation on that, so I don't know how it is smoothed (I'm guessing a moving average over a handful of samples): if it *really* is a necessity to improve the smoothing, I might do it... but as far as I'm concerned this was the only release, ever. :)

Why not using one of the main screen layers like various messages (timewarp, board/grab, KJR stuff, etc) as the older plug-in, showfps, which do the same (it display the FPS in the top right corner of the screen) ?

I don't think a window is a good idea on this (despite it easier to move).

Because I didn't even know there was an older one that did it that way :)

I don't know how to make it work that way right now. If I ever find out, maybe I'll change it (but don't count on it).

Anyway, considering the license, I absolutely encourage people to modify it in any way they like. Pull-requests are also welcome. Just follow the license :)

• 1 month later...

Right O, useful stuff, but now I'm bummed, cause it shows a constant 25 FPS figure and I would think it would sit well above that with my nice spec system.

My config is set to limit 120 framrate, any hints on what could be limiting it or if it could be showing a wrong number?

• 4 weeks later...

I'm almost sure With a good system you should reduce Physic Delta/frame to the minimum.

When it is set to 0.04 you'll have 25FPS max because the game won't go faster than 1:1, set the physics to 1/(wanted FPS) aka (1/120). I don't know if there's a minimum, but if you put it to 0 it will just use default without telling you. Too get a precise value edit the value in the settings.cfg in main ksp folder.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...

I'll do it soon, provided I don't forget :) I *think* that there's an FPS counter in the debug menu anyway now (but I might have just imagined it). Also, there's at least another plugin doing the same thing: ShowFPS.

Actually there are 3 FPS counter:

1. GCMonitor done by Sarbian
2. KerboKatz SmallUtilities what have FPS counter & Limiter done by SpaceTiger
3. Show FPS done by m4v

in case i miss anyone sorry :)

Cheers

41 minutes ago, Ippo said:

I'll do it soon, provided I don't forget :) I *think* that there's an FPS counter in the debug menu anyway now (but I might have just imagined it). Also, there's at least another plugin doing the same thing: ShowFPS.

the fps counter in the debug menu is telling garbage AFAIK. you could have a yellow counter and it will say 25fps :) and when you load gc monitor it says 10fps

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.