Mod Development Links Compilation - Some links do not work / Formatting broken

CaptainKipard

I'd like to expand the thread with some reference materials for modders. All submissions welcome as always:

I'm particularly looking for space and engineering related things like:

- Authentic sounds

- High resolution images of real rockets, spaceships, satellites, etc for modelling and texturing purposes

- Engineering schematics, blueprints, videos etc. (how hydraulics work, different types of joints, useful mechanisms, etc)

- Authentic videos of spaceship operations. 3D visualisations (like the Official NASA ones), and IRL videos of various procedures.

- 360 panoramas of cockpits and other things.

Edited by Cpt. Kipard

looks like stock ModuleAnimateGeneric got little updated; it can be triggered in Editor mode now. Also allows for multiple animations on a single part.

If this is true it is fantastic. This problem has been a nightmare for me forever and prevented me from fixing some major issues with my luna airbags. I can't wait for someone to post some sort of tutorial on exactly how to implement this.

If this is true it is fantastic. This problem has been a nightmare for me forever and prevented me from fixing some major issues with my luna airbags. I can't wait for someone to post some sort of tutorial on exactly how to implement this.

just embed multiple animation clips in a single part, and use multiple ModuleAnimateGeneric. So far I have a part with cockpit emissive and extendable ladder, both are triggered with ModuleAnimateGeneric. before 0.25 I was using ModuleAnimateGeneric for one; and FSanimateGeneric for the other.

old bug was that if you used rescaleFactor + MODEL{}; rescaleFactor is applied twice. e.g. if you wanted to double the part size and set rescaleFactor = 2.0; in game the part is scaled up 4x. you can work around it by setting rescaleFactor to sqrt of the desired result; e.g rescaleFactor = 1.414 for desired 2x result. Of course now that the bug is fixed, your workaround part will be smaller than desired size in KSP.

you should either use either rescaleFactor = 1 + MODEL{scale = x,y,z}; OR rescaleFactor = , if you don't use MODEL{}.

...Which is why you should not use rescaleFactor. Instead scale the model inside the MODEL{} definition, and calculate your stack and attach nodes manually. I'm still curious whether NODE{} positions are correctly placed if MODEL{} is scaled.

EDIT

I'm considering removing all deprecated information, e.g. STACK_NODE, mesh=, etc.

Yes? No?

Edited by Cpt. Kipard

...Which is why you should not use rescaleFactor. Instead scale the model inside the MODEL{} definition, and calculate your stack and attach nodes manually. I'm still curious whether NODE{} positions are correctly placed if MODEL{} is scaled.

EDIT

I'm considering removing all deprecated information, e.g. STACK_NODE, mesh=, etc.

Yes? No?

you still sort of have to use rescaleFactor = 1; since by default everything is rescaleFactor = 1.25

probably a good idea to remove the deprecated stuff, at least make it clear in the links that it's legacy information and might break after any update.

• 2 weeks later...

I've seen it already a while ago, and I've been putting off adding it because I'll have to go through everything there and organise it. I hate mish-mash posts like this.

Edit

I just put it under "Miscellaneous" for now.

Edited by Cpt. Kipard

• 4 weeks later...

I'd like to add a section here about common problems and solutions when modding. Please help me fill that list.

edit

To be clear, I'd like to add problems the solutions to which aren't obvious from reading the other topics in the OP.

Edited by Cpt. Kipard

I've been collecting some error messages and solutions for a trouble shooting thread. only have 3 so far, fairly rare ones.

basic format is

Error message (either during export or during asset loading)

Explanation w/ Unity screen cap where possible

Fix

will try to generate some more common ones as I go

and additions for OP

Texturing tutorials to rule all texturing tutorials

http://wiki.polycount.com/wiki/TexturingTutorials

Unity tutorials from the horse's mouth

http://unity3d.com/learn

Edited by nli2work

Texturing tutorials to rule all texturing tutorials

http://wiki.polycount.com/wiki/TexturingTutorials

Those are largely irrelevant to KSP, and the hard surface one which would be the best addition is missing images. I'd prefer not to force people to sift through that.

Edited by Cpt. Kipard

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.