Mod Development Links Compilation - Some links do not work / Formatting broken

CaptainKipard

I don't see any guides linked for making GUIs in KSP. I think this is an important omission especially now when we have a total clustereffup of three different GUI systems in stock, with yet another on its way for Unity 5.

This thread seems mostly to be focused on part/texture making. For plugin help you're better off checking the plugin development sub-forum.

TriggerAu has a [thread=66503]pretty good resource[/thread] for taking care of some of the trickier parts of GUI work, among many other things. There is also a [thread=122385]tool from nalitia[/thread] from a few weeks ago that helps to abstract away a lot of the non-sense involved with GUI creation.

If you aren't in a hurry though it might be best to just wait for KSP 1.1 to do any UI stuff. OnGUI is atrocious as far as performance goes and has many other limitations. The Unity 4.6 UI doesn't have much documentation for scripting, but hopefully that will change soon. And according to Mu we will have easy access to all of KSP's UI prefabs, so it should be easy to create windows, buttons, labels, etc... that match the KSP style.

This thread seems mostly to be focused on part/texture making.

Yes but not by design. For whatever reason programmers in the community haven't been coming forward with suggestions and questions as often here.

Anyway, recently added Cybutek's video tutorial series near the top of the page covers some GUI stuff.

I'm happy to curate the thread but honestly if I were one of two curators; the other being a programmer; the OP would look a lot better.

Edited by Cpt. Kipard

Hello.

I think a lot of newcomers, when they read about choosing an code editor (IDE), get the idea that they have to use C-sharp for add-on development. However there are other options. The one I will point out today is F-sharp. Granted F# is not that dissimilar to C#, yet depending on your programming language preferences F# might appeal to you more than C#.

In most cases the editor you use for C# will handle F# as well, e.g. the Microsoft Visual Studio IDE includes support for Microsoft Visual F# and Xamarin Studio provides support for F# too (although I never got that to work satisfactory).

I have posted a snippet with an example of usable F# KSP/Unity syntax here:

http://fssnip.net/rD

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Some really good info on writing Unity CG shaders:

I have a sneaky suspicion someone from Squad may have watched these videos, as most the KSP shaders mirror them very closely ;) There are more parts, but they deal with custom lighting models which I'm not so sure we can use in KSP.

Info on loading and using custom shaders into KSP here.

Even if you're not going to write a custom shader yourself, it still gives you a great insight into what the various bits of the KSP shaders actually control and output.

Edited by lo-fi
Realised I messed up some links

• 2 weeks later...
All of them starting from Aug 21. They're not tutorials, but show a typical workflow of one of the most respectable modders on the forums.

Has anyone seen them all? That seems like a lot of hours to watch with no obvious description of what's going on. I'd like to at least be able to give people an idea of what they should expect.

Has anyone seen them all? That seems like a lot of hours to watch with no obvious description of what's going on. I'd like to at least be able to give people an idea of what they should expect.

As I told in my first post. This is a stream which features a KSP modelling workflow. Software used: Blender, Photoshop, Unity.

Workflow includes almost everything required to make a great model from start to finish: Model and Art concept, modelling, animating, UV unwrapping, map baking, texturing stockalike style. Good comments + voiced thoughts.

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.