Mod Development Links Compilation - Some links do not work / Formatting broken

CaptainKipard

[quote name='sashan']paint.NET supports DDS natively, and is a nice tool for simple edits with layers support.[/QUOTE]
Thank you,paint.net is just the tool i was looking for.
[QUOTE]By the way, anyone has a working link to Part Tools? I want to make RPM configs for some IVAs.[/QUOTE]
I find [url=http://www.sarbian.com/sarbian/PartTools023.zip]the link from OP [/url]is working just fine.

• 2 weeks later...
2 hours ago, Cpt. Kipard said:

Kasper just implemented a forwarding algorithm. I won't have to look for them, but I still have to edit every single one by hand.

Why would you have to update any of the links? Surely with the forwarding algorithm in place that will work every time? On my mod thread all the links to other threads are working fine, and they're definitely the old link format. Only links to specific posts in threads seem to be lost (which is still kind of annoying).

Oh you're absolutely right. Stupid me. I might still correct them just to scratch my compulsive itch from time to time.

That just leaves the formatting then. An equally extensive task. Not today though.

Edit

I spoke too soon. Thread links work. Post links do not.

Edited by Cpt. Kipard

• 2 months later...

hi all,

someone have a link to explain how to make Solar Panel (folding) animation.

i have tried to make it in blender with 'bones' & many modifier's ("follow path"  etc...) but actually without success.

- actually i have made a base Armature-Setup with bones and parenting to the panels (objects/vertex grp.)  - i think thats correct.

- for the last few steps I need a little support.

In principle it would be sufficient for me to know what animation modifiers (techniques as "inverse kinematic", or "follow path", "locked track" whatever ..) I have to apply.

- Thanks in advance !!!   :)

cheers raendy

Problem has been done. - found solution

Edited by RaendyLeBeau

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

okay I am just starting out.  All the information is here but scattered all willy nilly.

Can someone list the tools needed to start making parts for 1.1?

What version of parttools, unity, etc and where can they be downloaded.  This thread has tools all the way back to 0.23 so it's very confusing for someone starting out.  I don't want to waste time downloading large files only to find they are obsolete.

Thanks for the help.

• 4 weeks later...
On 02/04/2016 at 9:48 PM, ctbram said:

okay I am just starting out.  All the information is here but scattered all willy nilly.

Can someone list the tools needed to start making parts for 1.1?

What version of parttools, unity, etc and where can they be downloaded.  This thread has tools all the way back to 0.23 so it's very confusing for someone starting out.  I don't want to waste time downloading large files only to find they are obsolete.

Thanks for the help.

Well the thread was updated in December last year so I'm guessing a lot of it is still relevant. However I would like to see a more concise list of what exactly someone would need to get started.

• 2 weeks later...
22 hours ago, Waz said:

Why is this post still pinned if it's basically entirely out of date for the current version?

Because there's still a ton of useful information in here and much of it is very relevant to the current version. 

Hello to all.

I am trying to make some minor modifications to some .dds files...

I mainly am trying to edit / change some colors for some testing of parts that I am working with.

I have Gimp with the .dds module, but I have not been able to save / export a .dds that ksp will read in correctly.

No errors, just part mapping is all messed up.

I have tried simply opening a part and then re=exporting with no changes to a different dir and it is still botched.

What special / magic options am i missing??

Thanks in advance.

Cheers.

• 1 month later...
On 5/16/2016 at 6:45 PM, drtedastro said:

Hello to all.

I am trying to make some minor modifications to some .dds files...

I mainly am trying to edit / change some colors for some testing of parts that I am working with.

I have Gimp with the .dds module, but I have not been able to save / export a .dds that ksp will read in correctly.

No errors, just part mapping is all messed up.

I have tried simply opening a part and then re=exporting with no changes to a different dir and it is still botched.

What special / magic options am i missing??

Thanks in advance.

Cheers.

Sometimes when importing/export DDS files, they get flipped.  Try flipping your edited image and see if that fixes the problem.

• 3 months later...
On 17.11.2015 at 9:19 AM, CaptainKipard said:

I have GIMP with a DDS import plugin and it works just fine.

That plugin linked from the main thread sucks. It works fine as long as you use DXT5 compression, or not compression, but if you choose DXT1, which is required on some older models, it ignores your choice and saves the texture uncompressed without even a whisper about that. You end up with a texture loading error and not a clue why.

Use the plugin from the Google Code page. https://code.google.com/archive/p/gimp-dds/downloads. It actually supports all the compression methods it lists, and allows for some extra tricks the originally linked doesn't.

• 1 month later...
This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.