Is seasons last everywhere the same all over the Earth?

Pawelk198604

I know that like us northern hemisphere, summer ends and autumn begins, the southern hemisphere in South America, Africa and Australia ends and winter begins in the spring, and vice versa.

I wonder if the season last everywhere the same, read, and actually learned playing the game "Take on Mars": D

Mars has its own seasons in each hemisphere, north and south, and that they are not equal, I wonder what it looks like in the case of our Earth.

Seasons are defined by the period between equinoxes and solstices, which are related to the angle of the axial tilt to the sun. It seems to me that as long as the axial tilt itself doesn't wobble all over the place, a season will always be equal 1/4 of a year.

It seems to me that as long as the axial tilt itself doesn't wobble all over the place, a season will always be equal 1/4 of a year.

Interestingly, seasons on Earth aren't exactly equal in length.This is because the Earth's orbit is elliptical. Perihelion is reached in the first days of January while aphelion is reached on about July 4th each year. The time between the equinoxes and solstices is defined by how quickly the Earth moves around the Sun.

Everyone here knows that orbital speeds are higher at perihelion than at aphelion. Correspondingly, the time between the northern hemisphere's spring equinox and autumn equinox is longer than the opposite half of the year by a couple of days. Spring and summer in the northern hemisphere extend over 186 days from March 21st (typical date of the Spring equinox) through September 23rd (typical autumn equinox), while the northern hemisphere's autumn/winter seasons only last 179 days.

Edited by PakledHostage
Added a sentence to specify the number of days in each "half" of the year

That effect is even stronger on Mars, as it has a greater eccentricity than Earth. Which is why I presume it comes up in a game set on Mars.

On this wikipedia page, in that section there's a table that compares the lengths of seasons on Earth (not more than five days difference) to those of the seasons on Mars (slightly more than fifty Martian days difference).

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.