Circumnavigation challenge:

Feels a bit dull around here lately, lets liven things up a bit with some challenges.

The challenge:

Build or download a craft that is capable of circumnavigating kerbin only using liquid fueled engines (no rocket hopping into an orbit then de orbiting around the planet, you can however air hog your way into a sub orbit)

Once built/downloaded set the fastest time you can circumnavigating Kerbin.

IMPORTANT:

Your official landing time will be after touching down back at the KSC, once you come to a complete stop take a screen cap and the time shown will be your official time.

Feel free to record your circumnavigation and post that.

If you crash on touch down im afraid to say you dun goofed, Going to have to re try otherwise we will have people running into the ground at full throttle and getting better times.

Rules:

1: During your flight you must stay as close to the equator as possible, slight deviations are acceptable but purposefully heading toward the pole to cut your time is not.

2: You must show a flight log showing you did indeed complete the challenge (Not applicable if you recorded your flight)

3: You must stay below an altitude of 70km (Space) 69,999 meters is fine. but not a single meter more.

Record holder Stock:

Craft name:

Pilot:

Record holder FAR:

Craft name:

Pilot:

Record holder NEAR:

Craft name:

Pilot:

Free circumnavigation craft for the lazy builders (Not made for FAR or NEAR made for stock KSP)

I will provide a download link to one of my more popular circumnavigation craft, It is hypersonic and will do suborbital bounces up to 80km so it sets a pretty high bar for the craft that are being used in this challenge

HA Mongrel mk2 Download link:

http://www./download/lldckps7n09k29k/HA+Mongrel+%28mk+2%29.craft

Edited by Roflcopterkklol

Thank you so much, I was about to start this challenge myself!

Also, you may want to set a maximum altitude as a rule to prevent sub-orbital hops... And flight summary screen shown in the end to show max altitude during mission.

Please don't do this. All the other circumnavigation challenges had one and I though it was to restricting. I DO suggest making a rule that you have to circumnavigate the globe as close to the equator as possible, no polar short-cuts. You also might want to ban game exploits like kraken drives and infiniglide, depends on what you would prefer.

I had a great entry, but I lost the pictures and save file. My new entry will be coming soon.

Thank you so much, I was about to start this challenge myself!

Please don't do this. All the other circumnavigation challenges had one and I though it was to restricting. I DO suggest making a rule that you have to circumnavigate the globe as close to the equator as possible, no polar short-cuts. You also might want to ban game exploits like kraken drives and infiniglide, depends on what you would prefer.

I had a great entry, but I lost the pictures and save file. My new entry will be coming soon.

Hmm i will set an altitude limit of 85km because you actually hit orbit doing a sub orbital hop at about 100km,

really you spend more time with the engines off in orbit than you do in the atmosphere doing that.

I will not ban the kraken drives and infini glide, infini gliders are damned hard to control so have to give some respect to people for getting them to circumnavigate one lol.

Edit:

Ooo idk about the altitude limit, that really does put a big restriction on this.

i have decided not to set an altitude limit considering you can do around 2800+m/s in the atmosphere and you simply can not do that above 70,000m without rocket engines, it balances itself out.

Does it count if the craft is touching down, but disintegrating in the screenshot?

Sure why not.

After thinking about it, no, Could have people just fly into the runway at full speed and get the reward, have to land and stop im afraid (If you crashed on the runway trying to stop i will accept it.)

There are so many circumnavigation challenges, where the ultimate goal is speed. You only have to search for it with "circumnavigation" and "thread title" in "challenges".

Ok, there are then a few are missing because of the searched term like:

That's only a minor issue, i suppose.

But if you insist, here is my entry.

There are so many circumnavigation challenges, where the ultimate goal is speed. You only have to search for it with "circumnavigation" and "thread title" in "challenges".

Ok, there are then a few are missing because of the searched term like:

That's only a minor issue, i suppose.

But if you insist, here is my entry.

Only problem with those two is no one has touched them for a couple months, time for a new one me thinks.

Only problem with those two is no one has touched them for a couple months, time for a new one me thinks.

I totally agree. I was about to start one myself. Fly "Round the world" has a height cap, and is really old. The MarchingBird Challenge only measures top speed, not circumnavigation time.

Ooo idk about the altitude limit, that really does put a big restriction on this.

i have decided not to set an altitude limit considering you can do around 2800+m/s in the atmosphere and you simply can not do that above 70,000m without rocket engines, it balances itself out.

Thank you so much, those are my thoughts exactly, you might want to edit the OP though, it still has a altitude limit of 70,000m.

I also really liked the categories on the two mentioned challenges, maybe have honorable mentions for fastest, single engine, single air intake, highest altitude, lowest altitude, etc.

In any case I started my entry yesterday, and will finish today. So far it is going to blow every other time I have seen out of the water. I'm looking forward to someone beating it though.

Edit: Just looked at Heagar's entry, that is comparable, you might have taken the cake with that one.

Edited by Zipmafia

The simple reason i wrote that statement is, that there is the possiblity that this thread may be closed by moderators.

They could argue with this:

People do not want to see several near identical challenges cluttering the forum, we like variety so take a look at the Challenge board first and if your idea has been done try to think of something new.

Old challenges can be redone, especially if the game has changed in the meantime or you can add a twist, so if you do see something cool from months ago, it might be fun to try something like that again.

That the threads aren't active for a certain time tells nothing about that they are not availible. You can submit in them a new entry. Some older Threads (because of their terms) are still in use like:

Kerbin Circumnavigation Challenge Reloaded New Rules Once More

The K Prize 100 reusable spaceplane to orbit and back

But anyways. In case this thread should remain, i post my flight a second time:

Javascript is disabled. View full album

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.