Space 1999 Eagle **Version 1.2 - .16, hatch & Kerbonaut Ready!**

RedSpar

How does this thing handle horizontal landings in MechJeb? Or does MechJeb compensate for the VTOL engine hen attempting to land?

Must horizontal landings be done manually?

Currently MechJeb doesn\'t support fully automated VTOL landings.. BUT.. you can set to up to at least semi-automate the landings.

Procedure:

- Get the Eagle relatively level

- Activate the SMART A.S.S.

- Hit the KILL ROT button

- Activate the TRANSLATION

- Hit the KEEP VERT button and punch in your desired decent rate.

You can then land horizontally with minimal flight adjustments.

One of Silisko\'s parts slipped in there by accident. Sorry about that. Anyway, all fixed. You can re-download the mod and you won\'t get the error message anymore.

Thanks heaps mate! :D

I\'m watching space 1999 couse of this but i noticed that the command pod could detach for emergencies, you maybe wanna consider adding that.

PS: I love it good work :)

easy as adding a decoupler and in an emergency, press the panic button on the mechjeb thingy

• 2 weeks later...

For those using r4m0n\'s excellent camera module (or MechJeb, I guess), here\'s a code snippet that gives you two cockpit views (commander and pilot)

MODULE
{
name = MuMechModuleHullCamera
cameraName = Cockpit
cameraForward = 0, 1, 0
cameraUp = 0, 0, -1
cameraPosition = 0.4, -0.2, -0.23
}

MODULE
{
name = MuMechModuleHullCamera
cameraName = Cockpit
cameraForward = 0, 1, 0
cameraUp = 0, 0, -1
cameraPosition = -0.4, -0.2, -0.23
}

Paste into KSP/Parts/RedSpar_Eagle_Pod/part.cfg and enjoy :)

I am not an expert, but the landing gear its not supposed to be retractable? if not, it would be a good change for a future release. ;)

The gear is not retractable, no. It shouldn\'t be.

The Eagles are one of the few things the show got pretty right as far as design.

The gear is not retractable, no. It shouldn\'t be.

The Eagles are one of the few things the show got pretty right as far as design.

I beg to differ, Sir.

At first i totally agreed with you, however seeing a slideshow of the eagles on Youtube (

) did change my mind.

Look at the picture at 1 min 50. You can clearly see that the landingfoot fits exactly in the pod. In the series the eagle (probably) was never shown with a retracted foot, probably because the eagle usually flies in vacuum. (Frankly, i can\'t remember if it ever did or not). I do believe it was out of laziness and/or the cost of extra models the feet were not retracted in the series. In my opinion the designer of the eagle did indeed take retractability into account (but the director never used it)

Hey guys, sorry I have been away working on another project.

To answer a few questions...

Yup, I\'ll make a cockpit for the Eagle when .16 comes out. I\'ll have to dig around the net to find a layout pic of it somewhere. I know what was seen in the show didn\'t actually match up with the exterior dimensions so I will have to take some artistic liberty. (Early sci-fi shows were notorious about doing that)

The landing gear of the Eagle was designed to retract.. The pads fit perfectly in the pods when recessed *but* this was never shown on the show. Eagles were always shown with their gear down.

I\'m not sure why you would need retractable gear anyway because the Eagle was meant to fly in a vacuum most of the time. It did fly in atmospheres at times but it isn\'t the most aerodynamic shape that is for sure. I doubt retractable gear would help much... ;) We\'ll see... I may may the gear retractable in the future.

Corax: Many thanks for setting up the cameras for the Eagle. I have been away from the game for a few weeks so I have been out of the loop.

Corax: Many thanks for setting up the cameras for the Eagle. I have been away from the game for a few weeks so I have been out of the loop.

My pleasure. You are of course free to include them in your next release if you like. All credit is due r4m0n ;)

If you do, you might want to change the cameraNames to two unique names, like Pilot and Commander, that was an oversight when I quickly copy-pasted them in.

Anyway, thanks for the great model, I\'m having an awful lot of fun with it :)

Thanks for this awesome model/ parts! I remember Space 1999 from long long ago :)

Here is my custom version of the Eagle. Added some jet engines and wings and turned it into a starwing.

Now if only someone could make a real starwing model ;)

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.